Specifically designed for performance with Ableton Live software (see larger image).
Professional feel with rugged, metal chassis and premium controls (see larger image).
Requires no mapping for direct control of Live, and is completely re-mappable for advanced-user customization (see larger image).
- Designed in partnership with Ableton for Ableton Live
- Unique clip matrix with multicolor lighting displays current clip status
- No mapping required; every knob, button, and fader is customizable
- Bidirectional communication between APC40 and Ableton Live
- Solid, professional feel with rugged, metal chassis and premium controls
- Comes with Akai APC40 edition of Ableton Live Lite, free upgrade patch for full versions of Live
- Works with standalone editions of Ableton Live
- Works with most MIDI recording, sequencing, and performance software
- USB plug-and-play connection for Mac and PC
- Premium controller with rugged, metal chassis
Because Akai Professional and Ableton designed the APC40 specifically for Ableton Live, you don't need to map its controls to talk to the software. Just connect your laptop to the APC40 via USB--thanks to its plug and play capabilities, you won't need to install any drivers. It comes pre-mapped for instant use with Ableton Live software, so if you're new to it, you'll find using the APC40 to be easy to get around on. And if you're an experienced Live user, you'll be happy to note that you can custom-map every single knob, button, and fader on the APC40 to completely customize the controls for the way you like to work.
Because of the bidirectional communication between the APC40 and Ableton Live software, the APC40 can receive feedback from the software and display it on its clip matrix of 40 triggers and on LED rings surrounding each knob. The clip matrix gives you an instant view of clip status: what's loaded, what's playing, and what's being recorded. Each state displays on the matrix in a different color so you can get a quick picture of clip state. You can shift your clip focus and get an overview of the clips you have loaded for your set.
The APC40 has 16 knobs, each surrounded by a ring of LEDs. These LED rings make it easy to see your settings on dark stages, indicating the currently selected parameters' values.
The APC40 is built with a rugged, metal chassis and slip-proof rubber detailing. All of the knobs and faders are solid and precise for pinpoint performance. It even features a high quality, replaceable crossfader for transitioning between clips and loops assigned to "A" or "B."
The APC40 comes with Ableton Live Akai Professional APC40 Edition software, which is fully functional for performance and production. Owners of standalone editions of Ableton Live 7 or 8 can also work seamlessly with the APC40. Live 7 with the latest automatic update has full support for the APC40 and all versions of Live 8 are APC40-ready.
The APC40 has two banks of eight knobs. The first set controls Global parameters so you'll always have instant access to your main sends, pans, and other essentials. The second bank of eight knobs is dynamically reassigned to the Track you select. You can control eight track parameters at a time, and as you switch channels, the Track knobs follow your focus. For example, you might be working with the Beat Decoder on track two. When you switch to track four, the eight Track knobs that you had been controlling the Beat Decoder with are now controlling the Flangeverb on track four. You'll even notice that the settings for each knob load on the light rings so you'll immediately see each knob's status.
The APC40 also enables special clip-status views and feedback that only the APC40's matrix can display. The matrix is not limited to only 40 clips: you can scroll and shift, enabling you to access, control, and perform with an unlimited number of cells.
The APC40 has a wide range of controllers. The eight Global knobs can access four banks of controls; the eight Track knobs control nine different track parameters each. This gives you a massive total of 72 controllers that are dynamically reassigned each time you switch tracks. Channel faders, bus faders, and a crossfader give you smooth control of key values. You have even more control power with special controls including Tap Tempo, Tempo Nudge, record enables, solo/cues, and two assignable footswitch inputs.
- Dimensions: 16.88 x 13.13 x 2.62 inches (WxDxH)
- Weight: 5.8 pounds
- Power supply: 12V 2.0A pin-positive, included
- Communication: USB-MIDI with proprietary hardware/software handshake
- Inputs: USB, Two assignable footswitch inputs
- Mac system requirements: G4 or faster/Intel Mac recommended, 512 MB RAM/1 GB recommended, OS 10.3.9, 10.4 or later. recommended, QuickTime 6.5 or higher, DVD-ROM drive, USB port
- PC system requirements: 1.5 GHz or faster, 512 MB RAM/1 GB recommended, Windows XP or Vista, Windows-compatible sound card/ASIO driver support recommended, QuickTime 6.5 or higher, DVD-ROM drive, USB port