4.0 out of 5 stars Akimbo vs Ambling
Samsung Epic, Android 2.2 official
Viewsonic gTablet, Calkulin+Clemsyn 1.5ghz Froyo Combo V6

Published on September 22, 2011 by C. Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars I must be logged into Amazon App Store??
I bought this app in May and it works great. However I tried to use it today and I get a message that I must be logged into the Amazon App Store to use it. I PAID FOR THIS APP, THIS APP IS MINE - NOT AMAZON'S! I should not have to be logged in to Amazon in order to use it. From now on I will be using Google Play to purchase my apps.
Published 23 months ago by rdkellogg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Akimbo vs Ambling, September 22, 2011
C. Schmidt (amztabhlp at gmail) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Samsung Epic, Android 2.2 official
Viewsonic gTablet, Calkulin+Clemsyn 1.5ghz Froyo Combo V6

So you amassed yourself a collection of audiobooks but have found that many media players just aren't up to snuff when it comes to handling this type of media, eh? Well just the club. Somehow the bookmarking and resume features found in old MP3 and media players has been lost on the latest and greatest. I've used MP3 players from pretty much every brand, half dozen media players on iPod/iPhone and Android each, and still hadn't come across a standalone media player that really worked well. That is until I came across Akimbo Audiobook Player and Ambling BookPlayer. Both were designed specifically for audiobook lovers, and specifically for audiobook playback. This review will cover all the essentials, comparing the two to see which is the better price.

Trial versions: Both. The Akimbo trial will pause every 5 minutes and require you wait 15 seconds before you can start it up again. Everything else is full functional. The Ambling trial version is a slightly watered down version, missing features from both their Personal and Pro versions. It also has a time based trial period, but requires a restart. Winner - Akimbo, as it allows you full functionality before you buy.

Price: Akimbo currently runs $2.49 for the full version, while Ambling is at $5.99 for the Personal Addition and $8.99 for the Pro. Winner - Akimbo.

UI - Both Akimbo and Ambling are pretty straightforward pieces of work, and generally easy to use. When in doubt, Akimbo offers a complete help section, detailing everything in precise terms. Ambling doesn't offer a help section, but does include tool tips which can be enabled/disable as desired. With Akimbo, what you see if what you get, while Ambling includes three different player skins for you to choose from. There was one thing I was really annoyed with when it comes to the UI on Ambling. Using the back button doesn't back out of the app and close it. The app is left open instead, and you have manually open the menu and select close to fully get out of it. Winner - Akimbo.

Tweaks - Both Akimbo and Ambling have a large set of parameters you can change. From what the small and big jump buttons do, to what happens when you get resume listening. Akimbo puts in extra bits for accessibility, while Ambling misses this entirely. Both have settings for Bluetooth devices, as well as file handling preferences. Winner - Tie

Library - Now here is the real meat of the matter, how each plays with your files. Neither simply scan through your SD card and add everything to your library, like a typical media player will do. No no, you have to manually create books by selecting files and folders. Akimbo fares a little worse here. Let's say you have a folder called Go West, which has the book Go West broken down in to three different subdirectories, called Disc 1, Disc 2, and Disc 3. When you point out the Go West directory it for Akimbo to read in, it will pick up each subdirectory as a separate book. Ambling will do this too, but, it also has the book editing features needed to fix the problem. Akimbo doesn't, which leaves you with a library full of book parts instead of whole books. Further, Ambling can help you keep a series in order, by allowing you to assign the series name and number to each book. Very helpful if you're trying to get through a while series rather and can't remember which book comes next. To make up for this a bit, Akimbo will go out and attempt to download cover are for the books in your library, which something that you have to manually set up in Ambling. Winner - Ambling

Extras - Often, it's the little extras that really separate products. That's certainly the case when it comes to these two apps. Extras? Akimbo has none. Ambling? How about a whole audiobook library, including lots of free titles for starters? Add in a bit of Facebook integration, to allow you to let your friends know what you're reading. Not a huge thing, but, it's there without challenge from Akimbo. And finally, Ambling has a sleep timer, allowing you to drift off to sleep while listen and not missing the whole book. Winner - Ambling

Summary - Both Akimbo and Ambling are really good players for audiobooks, but, I can't say that either of them are perfect. Both have some missing features, things I would like to see. While I'd like to say Ambling is the better of the two, it's price is more than double that of Akimbo, which really takes away it's charm.

I hope you found this review helpful, and if not, feel free to leave comments/question

5.0 out of 5 stars Great audiobook reader, January 17, 2012
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
I needed an audiobook reader for my Kindle Fire and, while not technically "Fire approved" it side-loaded fine. I've been using this to play audiobooks purchased from the Christian Audio on my drives to and from work and it has been very good. The buttons for 10sec/1min +/- have been very helpful if I miss something important and I enjoy the ability to lock the settings so that I don't accidentally jump ahead if I were to bump the screen. While this is more than I typically pay for an app, I would do it again in an instant if I needed to. Great audiobook reader at a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars I must be logged into Amazon App Store??, December 6, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Great app for audiobooks, January 25, 2012
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
App has lots of features specific to audiobooks. It remembers the book location when you exit and will pick up at this location when you restart the app. Has bookmarking features and good library orginization.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works and that's what counts, May 20, 2012
Jay (Tennessee Colony, TX, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
It is a little quirky and took me a minute to figure out how to get it to work, but once you get the hang of it, it does what it is supposed to do. To get organized, I had to use ES File Explorer to create an audiobook directory and then move the book (mp3 files) into that directory. It seems to work best if you put the files in a folder, name that folder the title of the book, and then add that folder to Akimbo.

This does several things that the stock Android music player does not do. For one, you can browse to the folder and add mp3s. With the stupid stock player, you have to reboot the phone to get newly added files to show up (at least on my version of Android). You can close it and open it back up to the spot you left off on, too. That's the feature I really wanted, and it works.

The other thing I like is, it does not index all the media on your phone. You can add a folder, play out of that folder, and files in other folders don't magically show up in the list and start playing. If you pause it or switch to another program, the audiobook will keep playing (imagine that).

Imagine, it is 2012, and we had to spend money on a program to do what my Creative Zen Nano did 7 years ago. I am a fan of Android, but a person really has to question the employability of whomever designed the stock music player in it. Wow, what a stinker of a program.

If you get Akimbo, it seems like it would be best to have some type of file manager so you can create and move folders around easily. Maybe I'm missing something, but I got the impression that Akimbo would be a little more difficult to use if I hadn't already had ES File Explorer installed.

5.0 out of 5 stars For People Who Love Audiobooks, June 9, 2011
Brian (Cedar City, UT, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
This app is designed for people who love audiobooks and convert their books from cd or get their books from places other than audible like the library or itunes. I have not tested audible files but it says it supports tons of formats and i have tested most of them. Libervox files work and more. Try the free version, but be aware that it will play for 5 minutes then stop and won't let you press play for 15 seconds. It is full featured, but designed for evaluation really. At $3 this app is a steal!

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
For Android; paid version. Often 'forgets' where it is or what file (book) is loaded. This happens way too often and at times when you don't want to try and reload the book (which takes a bit) such as when your at the gym. I recently loaded something else to replace it; not reccomended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not something I like feeling forced to do, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
I need to sign into amazon every time I change the audiobook. Not something I like feeling forced to do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always looking for the perfect player . . ., May 8, 2014
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
. . . the one that will play all formats. Well, there is no such thing. However, as I try every new player app, a funny thing happens. I end up uninstalling it and going back to Akimbo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely, May 1, 2014
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
Works well for audiobooks, especially if you're switching between different books as I am. It keeps your place and volume settings. It only took me about half an hour to decide it was worth upgrading to the full version!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›