4.0 out of 5 stars BCI Does It Again
BCI are quickly becoming one of the best sources for offbeat Japanese films. THE QUIET DUEL was the only film directed by Akira Kurosawa with music by Akira Ifukube (Godzilla). Until this DVD release, it was also the only Kurosawa title that I did not have in some form, and I'm pleased to report that, while not in the league of IKIRU or SEVEN SAMURAI, THE QUIET DUEL is...
Published on January 3, 2007 by Robert H. Knox

3.0 out of 5 stars Delicate dilemna
I begin with a disclaimer; I'm sure I would never have heard of, let alone seen, "The Quiet Duel" if it hadn't been an early Akira Kurosawa movie. This movie would very likely never been made available in English sub-titles nor probably been on any late-night Japanese TV station. However, the fame of its' director legitimately made this a movie worth seeing. Let me...
Published on August 9, 2008 by Randy Keehn

2.0 out of 5 stars How not to make a message film, March 8, 2011
This review is from: Akira Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel (DVD)
This is the first Kurosawa-Mifune film that I found really difficult to sit thru. In look and style, it felt like a melodramatic silent film. I wish it were silent. I found Mifune's monologue on his internal struggle between his syphillis and his sexual desires (the "quiet duel") so badly acted that it was embarrassing.

That monologue expressed the movie's intended lesson. For the analytical, there are embedded lessons on how not to make a message film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ther Quiet Duel, April 18, 2009
This review is from: Akira Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel (DVD)
This was one of the dullest kirosawa movies EVER. Even with Mifune
it was poor !! It made no sense at All.!!

Akira Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel
Akira Kurosawa's The Quiet Duel by Akira Kurosawa (DVD - 2006)
$59.95