4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch and customer service. With some flaws.
Published on April 22, 2010 by specialmias

1.0 out of 5 stars The watch crap - their service is worse
Published on October 10, 2011 by Herve Gelinas

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars The watch crap - their service is worse, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Akribos XXIV Men's AK410YG 'Saturnos' Skeleton Automatic Gold Watch (Watch)
I received this watch a fifteen months ago as a gift bought through Amazon. I used it as a special occasion dress watch. I used it three times and it stopped running. I had to send it to them with a ten dollar fee under their warranty. It took eight weeks to get back. I went to use it several month later and it stopped the first time I used it, exactly the same way it stopped before. I contacted their service center they said send it back without the ten dollar fee. I send it, with receipt mail, in June - it is now October and I cannot get any word as to where it is. They don't reply to emails, don't answer their phone and don't return voice mails. The watch is pretty as a picture and just as useful. If I still had it, it would tell me the correct time at least twice a day - I can't even get that from it. Stay away from this company all together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch and customer service. With some flaws., April 22, 2010
specialmias (Philadelphia PA) - See all my reviews
For a chinese made mechanical watch in a low budget range it seems to hold its own fairly well. The dial is easily visible with precise, easy to read numbers. Other than a slight misalignment of the 12, 9 and 3 dials for the most part it is perfect.The band is a bit smaller than standard American bands and fairly narrow. The synthetic sapphire also seems to hold true to the name and after a few scrapes into things has been fairly scratch resistant.
It seems to use an unknown Chinese etched cover for the parts that is found in several other brands such as Armitron and Stuhrling (Also owned by the owners of Akribos). This watch mainly has the advantage of the very visible dial when compared to other "generic Chinese skeletons"

However it does have a few flaws

1)The oscillating weight is fairly stiff. It takes quite a bit of force for it to move when compared to other automatic watches. It also makes a fairly audible cranking sound in a quiet room. Sometimes it sounds as if the watch is broken. The escape ticking is also fairly audible, although again it needs to be fairly quiet to be heard.

2)Contrary to what is written in the manual; pulling the crown does not stop the clock, it only allows you to turn the hour/minute wheel, and even they continue moving. At first I thought it was a defect and a quick e-mail to the company was responded to informing me that this is part of the way this model works. This makes it difficult to assess the accuracy of second loss and makes it quite difficult to set the watch without the time being off by 20-40 seconds.

3)Winding this watch can also be an annoyance as the mechanism is quite stiff even when the watch has completely run out of kenetic energy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Akribos XXIV Men's 'Saturnos' Skeleton Automatic, February 19, 2010
Sam (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This watch is very nice looking, and wears very comfortably. It is some times troublesome to see the hour and minute hands beacuse they seem to blend in to the background in some lower lighhting conditions. Like most automatic watches, this watch seems to gain about 5-7 seconds a day. I wear this watch with both a suit at work and out with my wife in a more casual atmosphere and it goes very nice in either setting. The case appears to be well constructed and the band is also well made and very comfortable. I would recomend this watch and think it is a nice addition for any watch collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Review of Akribos XXIV Men's Watch & Reason(s) for return of item; misrepresentation., December 17, 2012
First, the quality of the watch is not as presented online. The original price shown was $495, which indicates high quality. I paid $85 which turns out to be significantly more than it is actually worth. Second, the watch does not operate properly, just like the bad reviews on Akribos watches reveals. When I tried to turn the time setting screw/knob, it was difficult to do and you could also feel the lack of quality compared to even inexpensive watches. Moreover, I could not pull out the knob to set the time. Finally, I had difficulty with the auto-wind function and the watch would not keep running smoothly. Clearly, this watch (and probably their other watches) are substandard and overall the product has been misrepresented by the manufacturer. The seller obviously did not make the watch. The bad reviews go back more than two years so it would be difficult to claim a lack of awareness of poor quality and defects right out of the box. Legally, to knowingly misrepresent the product over and over at the customer's expense constitutes improper business practices. Under the circumstances, I would tell anyone not to buy or sell Akribos watches. I would not even give one away as a gift. I hope that Amazon and the retailer(s) will act to protect customers from a manufacturer that knowingly continues to sell substandard, defective products. God Bless you all. Pastor Mike.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but disappointed, August 8, 2011
I normally don't write reviews, but some comments were needed. The item described is not Water resistant depth: 99 Feet. The case thickness does not include the thickness of the front and rear glass faces which when measured is 16mm.

Apart from these inaccuracies the watch would have meet my expectations, but mis-leading information leads to slight disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars DON'T BUY THIS WATCH IT IS A FAKE, June 10, 2010
I was very impressed with the picture of the watch but when I received it, I was thoroughly disappointed. It looks very cheap, it's not worth the discounted price, further just two days of use, and some part inside started to rattle. I live in Saudi Arabia and got it shipped from the US thru Aramex Shop and Ship, it's a nightmare to return the watch now to Aramex. Strong advise don't buy. Amazon should review quality of merchandise before offering to sell.

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap and its from the bronx i should have expected it, November 10, 2011
I got this watch with high expectations with the msrp being $500 but i was greatly let down the only metal piece in it was the clasp. the crystal wasn't anything but a piece of plastic and with in three days it lost an hour and every time i would set it back it lost an hour in another day claims to be water resistant but with one accidental shower it got water in it i returned it i was fed up. but i was amazed by amazons return policy i didn't expect it to be just as good as going to a department store and saying its a piece of crap doesn't work and is broke already. no questions asked no return shipping paid on my end and was extremely please with amazon. this watch sucks you could buy a better knock off in a mall and it would probably last longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great watch, but..., November 15, 2010
It is a gorgeous watch, make no mistake. The price is also more than reasonable, considerng the quality. However, the band on this particular item is very, very small. I just happen to be a man with a tiny wrist and even so, this band seems like it is meant for a woman. I can only close it at the first hole! Now it is just sitting in the box because I can't wear it without ordering a replacement strap.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, February 19, 2012
I will give it an average review, as I returned once I saw it but never experienced the mechanical aspects. I was looking for a brown watch as I already have a black one. I was expecting a light brown strap based on the picture but the strap was bright orange, one step away from jailhouse wear. I received it on a lightning deal and it wouldn't have been worth it to buy a new strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Watch!, August 3, 2011
Okay so I was looking for a skeleton watch for sometime. Wanted to spend roughly $100 on it, but couldn't decide because all the watches in that price range got extremely mixed reviews. Well, I decided to get this watch and what a great decision I made! I have received numerous compliments on it, it fits well in both casual and business settings, and I love watching the gears move. I've had the watch for almost a month now and it's yet to give me any problems. It stays fairly accurate, I haven't even needed to rewind the time or anything yet. Currently it's around a minute slow, but hey, being a minute off won't kill me. Overall, I strongly recommend this watch.

[EDIT] I have now had the watch for over a year and it is still working perfectly. It's staying accurate with time keeping, I only need to make slight adjustments every couple days from sleep (considering I am wearing it during the waking hours). I still get compliments whenever I wear it, and it's a great watch to wear during a presentation because it's a classical watch with a lot of subtle flash. I strongly suggest this watch to anybody wanting either a skeleton or a more-professional watch on a budget. I hope everybody who purchases this watch has such a lovely experience as I did, and it rightfully deserves the 5/5 stars in my eyes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›