5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Curly Hair
Published 11 months ago by Nessa

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...
I was really excited to try this out. I bought it from my local organic grocery store, and fell in love with the scent. I had simultaneously run out of my argon oil spray, and was hoping this would be hydrating enough that I wouldn't need to buy another bottle of argon oil. WRONG.

Let me start by saying that I have incredibly thick, curly hair (picture the...
Published 16 months ago by Taylor

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing..., May 1, 2013
This review is from: Alaffia Everyday Coconut Conditioner, 32 oz (Health and Beauty)

Let me start by saying that I have incredibly thick, curly hair (picture the princess from Brave, but blonde) so when I use conditioner I usually have to use a significant amount to really cover my whole head. This stuff, however, felt like it immediately absorbed into my hair and scalp, it went nowhere. I had to keep applying it like spot treatment, rather than just lathering it up. I think I used a little less than a quarter of the bottle just in my first attempt to shower.(Note: I brush my hair before I shower, and then comb through it while i have conditioner in, but I couldn't comb through this without creating more tangles. So I just washed it out.) When I rinsed it out, my hair felt soft and silky like you expect. Literally a few minutes later, my hair felt like straw. It was also clumped together and matted, I had to pull the stands apart. When my hair dried, (air-dry without any other product so I could evaluate this stuff)it felt like the product hadn't been rinsed all the way. It felt like I had a film of product on my hair and scalp, that made me look like I needed another shower. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by going all-natural. I am definitely not pleased with their conditioner, but I did buy it with their body wash version, and that stuff is incredible. My skin feels smooth as a baby after, and even without moisturizer my skin doesn't dry out later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise Curly Hair, September 14, 2013
Nessa (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
As I said in my review for the shampoo, the key for this shampoo and conditioner is to give your hair time to adjust to a new, less harsh formula. The first few times I used this conditioner, my hair seemed to suck it right up and was straw-like. I did notice that it didn't leave a gross film on my hands like regular conditioner did, though, and it washed out of my hair without having to stand in the shower for 10 minutes. After a couple of weeks, it took less conditioner and my hair was soft as it was with traditional conditioners. I often use this conditioner after swimming, and I haven't had any issues with tangling or dryness that often happens from chlorine. One thing I do, though, is brush through my hair in the shower after putting the conditioner in and then leave it sit for a few minutes before washing out. Works like a charm!

Another thing that I find fascinating about this conditioner is that, because it washes out easily and doesn't weigh down your hair, my hair has started naturally curling. I'll take this conditioner over name brands any day, especially given the fact the name brands changed the natural state of my hair.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails to condition hair at all, December 28, 2012
honeybee (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I got this conditioner on sale at a local health food store. I was attracted to this product by its relatively natural ingredients; it contained less alcohol than other brands, and it smelled pleasantly like almonds. I bought it at the same time I got the Everyday Coconut Super Hydrating Shampoo.

I have long, relatively straight, thick, but fine hair. When evaluating a conditioner, I want it to do three things: It should make my hair soft, shiny and manageable. This conditioner fails on all three counts.

1) Contrary to the product name, this "Hydrating Conditioner" does not restore the natural oils or seal the hair shafts after the coconut shampoo has stripped them dry. It leaves my "normal" hair feeling like straw--much like a day in a chlorinated swimming pool.

2) My usually glossy hair is left looking dull and lifeless. Only the parts that are heat-treated with my curling iron look good.

3) Rather than separate the strands of hair, this conditioner makes them tangle and knot. I end up with large clumps of hair on my comb or brush--even the day after I wash and condition! I don't have so much "fly-away" strands coming loose from my braids, but the tackiness of the hair makes it hard to style.

Unless you have oily hair or use hot rollers or a curling iron to style your hair, this is not a good product to use. Even though it may seem like a bargain in the large economy size, it takes a lot of conditioner to achieve nominal results. There are plenty of better choices out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not for everyone, but I like it, November 24, 2013
When I first used this conditioner I wasn't sure if I liked it. It's a thinner consistency than I expected and i'm used to thick conditioners. I have curly, fine, 3c/4a hair (if you follow the hair typing system). I've tried this conditioner two main ways: as a pre-shampoo treatment and as a regular post-shampoo conditioner. I like it both ways.

One thing I will say is that it absorbs into the hair immediately (I've found that the Alafia Beautiful Curls leave-in conditioner, made by the same company under a different brand name, does the same thing). So I do end up using a generous amount of product. But I've realized that it's because I'm used to being able to feel my conditioners coating my hair, and with this one I can't. But I don't think that means I necessarily have to use more of this than other conditioners. I think it's just a matter of getting used to how this makes my hair feel.

I compare getting used to this conditioner with going from a sulfate shampoo that lathers a lot (so you associate the lather with your hair getting clean), to a sulfate free shampoo that doesn't lather (or only lathers a little). You have to re-train your brain to not associate lather with how clean your hair is getting. And with this conditioner, I have to re-train my brain to stop basing how conditioned my hair is getting with how thick and creamy a conditioner feels on my hair. Because this everyday shea coconut conditioner actually leaves my hair soft and shiny. I'm even able to do a decent job detangling with it (though I probably detangle easier with the Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner, which is a great conditioner, and the kind of thick, creamy conditioner I'm used to).

Like another reviewer mentioned, it rinses clean from my hair very easily and I even think I could use this conditioner as a leave-in if I wanted. But I usually don't like to use rinse out conditioners as leave-ins. Also, I too leave the conditioner to sit on my hair awhile. I use a conditioning cap and let it sit on my hair for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it out. I do this with all of my conditioners and I think it especially helps when using this one. I also think it helps my hair respond well to any leave-in conditioner I follow up with (and I've used more than one type of leave-in following this conditioner), because my hair is soft and conditioned with no residue to interact with other products.

One more thing, before I forget, one of the main things I like about this conditioner is that it lays my cuticle down. So my strands feel smooth and hold the water in my hair. I purchased it on sale at Whole Foods for about $6.99. I only got one bottle, b/c I didn't know how I'd like it. For that price I wish I'd gotten a second one. The price is higher hear on Amazon, but if I come across the conditioner at a good price again I'd repurchase it.

I took off a star because there's a learning curve with this conditioner. It soaks into the hair very fast and it takes trial and error to figure out the amount you need to use (without using too much and wasting the product, or using too little and under conditioning the hair). Also, having read the negative reviews, I can say that I see why this conditioner wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. I can see how it wouldn't provide enough conditioning for someone with thicker hair than I have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Smells great!, March 12, 2013
If you want your hair to smell nice, but don't care if the conditioner you pay for has any other practical use, this may be the product for you. Seriously, I love how this stuff smells. But when I bought a conditioner, I expected it to work as a conditioner. I might have better results with my hair if I didn't use a conditioner at all. Every time I step out of the shower, my hair is a wonderful-smelling matted mess. I do have waist-length hair, but it still shouldn't take me an hour to comb through and detangle, especially after using a conditioner. Even when being careful, it's hard not to break hairs when combing through. I paid $11 for my bottle, and I'd hate to throw away money, but then again, every time I use it, it makes me want to shave my head.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great product, January 14, 2014
I was a little psyched out after reading the reviews but the guy at Whole Body told me he didn't recall seeing any returns. A quart for ten bucks was worth a shot. I used enough product and my curls didn't need their usual gel/lotion combo. My hair was shinier and frizz free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 14, 2013
I love it. I like the natural products in them. I have thick hair and children with thick and very thin hair. Works well for both kids and me. It softens our thick hair and my children with thin silky hair, it makes both hair types very manageable and easy to untangle. I must say, I do put a generous amounts and allow it to deep condition. I love it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for everyday use, February 20, 2013
I also got this at the area health food store because I felt it was a good deal, especially since it is derived from all natural products. Definitely does not hydrate. The name is such a mystery! Luckily I use light Moroccan Oil on my hair after a shower so that seemed to make up for the lack of conditioning. Not sure if I should just chuck it or return - I will go back to using Avalon Organics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique amazing product, May 13, 2014
This is a unique and amazing product. I say "unique" because it is very natural and pure. It does not simply coat the hair with wax and silicone as other "normal" product does. If you are use to chemical based product on your hair, you may not like this because it will not lay on top of your hair the way you are familiar. But if you continue to use this product, it will eventually cleanse all of the nasty chems out and you will eventually end up with beautiful soft, shinny and healthy hair. I was used to more natural products and still had to work with this conditioner and it's shampoo before I understood what it is doing. Other reviews mention that they feel this conditioner disappears and indeed I believe that rather than applying a mask that sits on top of the hair, this conditiner actually absorbs the moisture into the hair! What can be better than that?! After a few uses, I felt more moisture while it was wet. When my hair dries it is always softer than before. After three uses my fine long hair has become soft, shiny and bouncy! It helped my dry ends, which I thought I might have to cut! Now I don't have to!. Don't let the bad reviews scare you away from this product. Give it more than one chance and you will love it! I only use the shampoo every other week and use the Conditioner Only on the off week. I also love the leave in curl conditoner that goes with this product line. I mix it with water and spray it on, then scrunch to create curl. Normally I just have straight hair but with these products I get great natural waves! I love the entire system.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for polishing boots, not so great for the hair, August 21, 2014
Mixed feelings on this. Conditioning power is not that great - honestly I'm having better luck with diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner instead. The coconut conditioner unfortunately leaves a residue in my hair with repeated use. I ended up using it on my dog for a while until I switched over to apple cider vinegar for him too. Now I just use it to polish my boots (works great to buff out scratches and clean off dirt gently).

Only upside is it has minimal harmful chemicals compared to big name brands and even Trader Joe's brands. Only harmful chemical in this one appears to be a preservative, which is absolutely necessary if you are going to sell a liquid item (to prevent mold growth).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›