Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Alamos Malbec 2011
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

100%

I am ashamed to admit it, but I am only recently 'discovering' Argentinian wines and am impressed. Malbec is the basis of their better known reds - indeed, it has practically become their national grape.

This wine is light and fruity with a floral bouquet. The description claims dark cherry, but to my palate it's more like plums and berries. Regardless, it is a medium bodied dry wine that can pair with some meals that you would traditionally serve with a white wine.

To be completely up front I am not a fine wine expert. I am a chef who focuses on food and the wine that best complements it. Most of my wine experience is with table wines. Aside from pairing with food I also look for values - wines that are inexpensive enough to be served as a daily table wine without compromising the experience. That eliminates a good many 'cheap' wines which are too often plagued by a flawed finish that tastes overly processed.

Because this wine meets all of my criteria as a great table wine: inexpensive, delightful taste and perfect pairing with some dishes, it merits the five stars I awarded it.

It pairs with poultry and red flesh fish like salmon (indeed, it goes beautifully with cream cheese and lox), and other fare that you would normally associate with white wine. It also would perfectly pair with milanesa (a thin, breaded cutlet), as well as eggplant dishes, and even pastas with white or cream sauces.

Here is the recipe for a dish I made to specifically pair with this wine: I made a simple bechamel sauce by melting 2 ounces of butter over medium heat, then beating in an equal amount of super fine flour, then adding 4 ounces of heavy cream and mixing into farfalle pasta. I added fresh, chopped parsley and whole, fresh arugula and tossed. It was a perfect dish by itself, but enhanced with some steamed shrimp as a garnish.

For cheeses it will go with most, but to my palate it goes best with blues like Roquefort or Gorgonzola, and some of the more neutral creamier cheeses like Brie and Camembert. But it will definitely complement other cheeses, including Parmigiano-Reggiano, asiago and the like.

If you have not tried Argentinean wines in general, or Malbec in particular this is one to check out.