5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska as Art
Whether this book of color photographs accurately shows what Alaska really looks like, I don't know, because I haven't been there yet. But having finished it, I'm planning my trip!
Published on March 30, 2003 by Conrad J. Obregon

3.0 out of 5 stars This book did not WOW me.
This is a nice overview of Alaska, but after being there twice, I was expecting to see more of what I witnessed. This could be part my fault for not taking time to review what info I could find on it before purchase.
Published 18 months ago by Nancy Bishop

5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska as Art, March 30, 2003
This review is from: Alaska (Paperback)
But I can say this is a great book of photographs of nature. Anyone who loves to look at photographs will love this book. Wolfe demonstrates that he is one of the greatest living outdoor photographers. His sense of light and composition is unexcelled. Almost every picture has a strong sense of line, either vertical, horizontal or diagonal. And the range of light is exceptional, often including in the same picture the darkest blacks and the brightest whites.
The handling of sky is as sublime as that of any of the 19th century American landscape painters. I'm certain that there must be plain blue skies in Alaska but every one of Wolfe's skies has clouds that are fleecy, or glowering, or mysterious. And the light that falls on the landscapes illuminates them with a strange beauty whether casting deep, hard-edged shadows that make a rugged peak look even more majestic; or soft shadows that fall across a brush-covered hillside and create a subtle modulation of green; or the red rays of the magic hours of dawn and dusk.
Occasionally his pictures take on a strange abstraction that requires a careful examination to discover what one is looking at, like the pictures of white ice floes on the surface of an inky-black river or the network of crevasses on a glacier with a few spots of emerald blue in the white field, where the snow has melted into a pond reflecting the sky.
Wolfe is a master of color field photography. Consider the brownish, grayish web of fine lines with several smears of white across it that resolves into a portrait of musk oxen with white horns and muzzles. Or the white arctic foxes in the snow with a bare hint of orange on their undersides. Or the receding green hillsides distinguished only by differing textures with a tiny browsing caribou in the foreground.
The text by Nick Jans is sometimes overly poetic and almost unnecessary given the photographs although explaining just what it is that makes tundra tundra has some interest. However when I turn the page to see just the top halves of the heads of two fierce little owls peeking at me with yellow eyes hidden amongst a row of wildflowers in the Arctic Wild Life Refuge, words disappear from my mind.
Most people agree that Alaska is one of the last great wildernesses and that we are unlikely to see anything more exciting in our lives. Art Wolfe has captured the excitement of Alaska. He has also captured the excitement of great photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keepsake memoir of the state's natural beauty., April 5, 2000
This review is from: Alaska (Hardcover)
Art Wolfe's beautiful photos and Nick Jans' reader-friendly text blend in a beautiful coffee-table paperback edition of Alaska (1-57061-216-1, $29.95), featuring gorgeous full-page color photos of environments and animals and reflecting the contributors' familiarity with Alaska's many faces. Choose this as a keepsake memoir of the state's natural beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the coffee table, March 2, 2006
E. Dietze (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alaska (Paperback)
Beautiful photography of the grandest state. If you've read any of Nick Jans work, you know the text is excellent as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska Through the Lense of a Skillful Photographer..., April 3, 2010
This review is from: Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition (Paperback)
"Alaska" is the 10th anniversary edition of acclaimed nature photographer Art Wolfe's stunning photographic survey of the 49th State. Wolfe explores the major habitats of Alaska, from Mountain to River & Lake, Tundra to Sea & Coast, and Forest to Island. Alaska writer Nick Jens provides a supporting commentary on Alaska's natural history.

The space, light, wildlife, and physical dimensions of Alaska can almost defeat a good photographer's ability to capture them. Wolfe's roughtly 150 photographs are therefore all the more remarkable for their consistently excellent artistry. For the non-resident, yes, Alaska really can be that spectacular on its best days. For those who haven't been to Alaska, yet, this coffee-table type collection is a superb introduction to what the state has on offer.

"Alaska" is very highly recommended to fans of Art Wolfe's superb nature photography, and to those who have or will visit Alaska's wild spaces.

4.0 out of 5 stars Alaska, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Alaska (Paperback)
I bought this book because the pictures looked increadable and I was hoping to see Alaska from a new point of view, and I was not disappointed. Most of the pictures in here are like I have never seen before. However there were more typical pictures in here then I thought there would be. I wouldn't probably pay full price for it because of that, however I would buy it again at the price I got it for (around 10.00). Very nice to have on a table top or to just pull off the bookshelf to look at for inspiration for various things. If you like Art Wolfe you will like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars NATURE PHOTOS GALORE, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition (Paperback)
MUST I REALLY SAY HOW GOOD ART WOLFES' PHOTOS ARE? THIS IS A FINE BOOK TO KEEP ON ANY SHELF IF YOU LOVE NATURE IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. MY NEW-USED COPY WAS IN FINE SHAPE AND WHO WOULD COMPLAIN ABOUT THE PRICE BUT A CHEESEHEAD. EXCELLENT PHOTOS OF ALL SUBJECTS RELATED TO ALASKA OF COURSE. I JUST WISH THERE WERE MORE PHOTOS BUT I'M GREEDY. A VERY EXCELLENT BOOK TO HAVE AROUND AND GREAT FOR ALL AGES.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gift!, January 20, 2014
This review is from: Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition (Paperback)
I bought this for a dear friend that lived in Alaska many years ago. It brought back found memories of her time there (she lived in Alaska back in the 1940's). The photography is stunning and the author does a wonderful job describing all the different areas of Alaska. Having visited Alaska for a short vacation and experiencing the splendor and vastness of this great state, it is easy to see why my friend loved it so much and still talks about it often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition (Paperback)
You feel like you are there big clear pictures.....
awesome scenery, amazing animal pictures
it makes you want to go to Alaska

5.0 out of 5 stars Great landscape photographs, December 7, 2013
This review is from: Alaska (Paperback)
Art Wolfe has a genius for arriving at the perfect moment, it seems,
or else he stays a long time at the different locations.

3.0 out of 5 stars This book did not WOW me., June 28, 2013

Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition
Alaska: 10th Anniversary edition by Art Wolfe (Paperback - March 2, 2010)
Used & New from: $8.49