5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Guide Book
Planning a cruise to Alaska? This is a wonderful book to read both before you go and to take with you on the ship. It has many interesting stories about the state. Mr. Upton has been a resident of Alaska and offered tips on things that would have been unknown to the average tourist on a cruise ship. For instance, excursions may be bought on the ship but are usually...
Published on June 20, 2008 by Martha E. Cathcart

3.0 out of 5 stars Alaska Cruise Book
We are planning a cruise/land tour of Alaska and I like to read about destinations prior to going to help me plan better. This did provide some good tips but I don't know that I got nearly as much from it as I had hoped. I will probably have to get another book that provides more detail about the various stops on the tour/cruise. It does provide some info about where...
Published 15 months ago by Donnad

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Only book you need, May 24, 2010
This review is from: The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide (Paperback)
I bought this book at the end of the cruise. It was helpful to myself as well as other passengers when identifying specific glaciers and landmarks in College Fjords. I wish I had bought it sooner for Glacier Bay. If you want up-to date information of where restaurants and places to shop are, you need to stick with with individual planner guides for each city. Just e-mail and they will send them to you for free. My second Alaska cruise is in one month. I bought another book for my buddy so that we could each have our own copy. I would not travel to Alaska without this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for the Alaskan Cruiser, July 17, 2011
A well put together book that acts as a thorough guide through your Inside Passage cruise. Not only is the book sold onboard but it was referenced by the Naturalist and the ship's personnel on our trip from Vancouver to Whittier on Princess. Buy your copy before you go and you'll get a good idea of many of the things to look for on your way. The pull-out map allows you to follow the ship's progress by charting miles from port and the lat and long given by the TV channel on your room.

The book tells you where to look for whales and wildlife, as well as unique features of the journey that otherwise you might never hear anything about. This book was so comprehensive we actually met some of the people shown in the book's photos during our shore excursions.

All in all it's a good read and a handy reference along your way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Map more useful than book, February 24, 2013
Wimama (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
The book has many interesting stories that gave me a good feel for the region. Some stories in the book are duplicated on the map. The stories make the book interesting to read, but less useful as a handbook. I would have preferred more nature and history topics and fewer personal stories.

I expected it to be a mile-by-mile guide like I've seen for hiking trails, but with all the different possible routes I now understand how impractical it is to do that. The book and map point out some interesting things, but not something at every mile. The decriptions of things to do in towns include a few off-the-beaten path places and other helpful tips. Fortunately the map shows the entire Inside Passage region, including the British Columbia coast, and the book includes towns that cruise ships can't get to but the ferry can, so they are still useful for ferry passengers. When I go on my trip I might take only the map and leave the book at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for the Alaskan Cruise, July 9, 2012
J. S Thomas "Jethro" (Arlington, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
Its been gone over enough here but this book is well written with lots of photos and detailed points of view and suggestions. A must have for someone cruising Southeast Alaska.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alaska Cruise Handbook- Mile by Mile, July 6, 2012
I like this guide book, you learn about the area you plan to travel through.
Lots of good history.
I am pleased I got the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars just fine, February 10, 2010
Got this for my parents, who are going on a cruise for their anniversary. My dad especially has loved the perspective from an author who genuinely knows and lives the Alaskan Coast. Makes me want to go back, too, though I don't think I'd be much of a cruise shipper!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a guide book, November 20, 2010
I bought this book in preparation for an Inside Passage Cruise on Cruise West in May of this year. (Part of the excitement of the cruise is "preparing"). Excellent book with more "inside" information than most other books. Many guide books just list Places to Stay, Places to Eat, etc. This one helps you understand the lifestyle of the area. Even if you are not traveling to the area, you will enjoy the information shared in this guidebook.

Can't decide whether to keep this book for my next trip to Alaska, or pass it on to a friend who is planning her trip ....

4.0 out of 5 stars Provides a good feel for life and travel in coastal Alaska, September 6, 2014
DukeBedford (Bedford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
An interesting and useful book. It focuses more on stories of coastal Alaska and the ports you'll be visiting than it does on the cruise ships themselves. That seems appropriate, though, because there are so many different kinds and sizes of cruise ships that travel this area. The author has spent thirty years or so living along this coast and on various working boats. Lots of anecdotes that give you a good feel for what this (still pretty isolated) area is like. Looking forward to a coastal cruise, followed by an Alaska Railway trip inland to Denali. Includes a great removable fold-out map that provides a good overview of the region (and how big it really is!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best guide for Alaska I found for a cruise in the Northwest Passage, October 3, 2014
Excellent guide if you want to really understand the history of where you are visiting and the highlights you should try to do. Beautifully done with the pictures and maps. I used the map a lot while we cruising to see what towns and historical sites we were passing. Read it before you go so you know what to look for. I got all three guides available on Amazon for Alaska cruises and this one was the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cruise Supplement, June 25, 2014
Sue (Shorewood, MN United States) - See all my reviews
We took this book on our Alaska Cruise June 4-12, 2014 and used it as one of our resources for the stops along the way. The maps at each chapter beginning were excellent as well as the giant fold-out map in the back for following along. We found though that some of the rates quoted for activities (such as the Tram in Juneau) were quite out of date. However the featured activities at locations and the recommendations were well described.

The book itself it soft cover but of very high quality glossy stock so it traveled well. I purchased it based on previous Amazon recommendations and I would recommend it as well. It was an excellent resource.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide
The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide by Joe Upton (Paperback - Mar. 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01