Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on May 14, 2014
We have extremely fair skin. This has been a great sunscreen for us. I have always used 50 for fear of little people getting burned so was a little hesitant about it "only" being 30 spf. After a lot of research on another website for chemical safety with beauty products I came across this. It appears to be one of the safest sunscreens chemical-wise. Although I have not yet tested it at the beach it is very difficult to wash from my hands after putting it on little people - so I can only assume it will stay on very well for water play. It is nearly completely unscented - immediately after applying it you can barely smell something (not chemically and not obnoxious - but just a light non-perfumy smell) but then the smell dissipates very quickly (we are very scent sensitive). After it being on for maybe 10 minutes you can't smell it anymore. It doesn't appear (so far at least) to stain clothing. It goes on very creamy and smooth and soaks into the skin well. So far so good - very pleased with the product and just ordered two more bottles through Amazon. I wish they did have a giant pump size - maybe they do and I just haven't found it yet.

****Updated 6/7/15: ****Follow up post: I really don't understand why people are complaining about the texture and thickness of the sunscreen. It may be slightly thicker than normal sunscreens but not by much. We've been using this for two years now and have gone through maybe 15-20 bottles and that's in the Seattle area, not in a high heat/sun area. Regarding size - I have contacted the company and they do NOT offer a larger size. Although I have found they make this in a clear spray now - although have not yet checked the chemical safety on the web. Have used this for the last couple years and many times at the beach since my review and it's an amazing sunscreen. Our "go-to" sunscreen now - and we go through a ton of it. No burns when using this even on very fair and sensitive skin. Really great product. Still wish they made a much larger size - would be willing to pay for a large pump size. Amazon has the best price and availability for this sunscreen by far - difficult to find in stores and when you do it's much more expensive.
on June 15, 2011
I chose this one from the ewg website because of its relatively low rating, plus its SUPER CHEAP compared to the others. Its 1.40$ an ounce, when the others are more like 5$-10$ or more an ounce. It works amazing, I havent burned once and my skin is pretty fair. Im in the sun every afternoon and allday on the weekends during summer and barely need to reapply even after getting in and out of the water. My only complaint is that its thicker than Im used to. But it WONT leave you white, so Ive heard of worse out there! I only use this on my body and I use supergoop! AM moisturizer 35 spf on my face (which I LOVE except for its price - 9.30$ an ounce). Even though I have dry skin, Im prone to breaking out from thick products and Im not going to risk it! This product is the best for the price and effectiveness!!!
22 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2012
The environmental working group gave this product a rating of 2/8 with 0 being the best and 8 being the worst. For the price it is the healthiest option. This sunblock is very similar to the Alba green tea spf. It doesn't irritate my skin, feels light and fades easily like body butter. Only con is it starts to feel dry after awhile. I love that this doesn't expire until 2015. Personally I like the green tea formula more, but that is rated 6/8.
I do have a problem with the shipment container though, but didn't rate the product based on that. This item arrived in the thin box normally reserved for Amazon books. Its nice to see Amazon using smaller packages, but for an item like this the book box doesn't work because its to thin. They need to use a small traditional box, place a sticker on the cap and wrap the tube in a layer of bubble wrap.If they can do that in a book box even better. I've been ordering stuff online for years and have never seen such awful packaging or had product arrive leaking. The sunscreen was in a plastic bag which offered NO protection. The product had been squeezed and the cap was open about 5 days worth of sunblock was stuck inside the lid and inside the bag. There goes the extra pennies I saved doing subscribe and save. If my next shipment arrives like this I'm going to just buy this product from another site.

Update:

I have ordered the sunscreen a few times since and haven't had any issues with the packaging. It's still a great product and much cheaper online than in stores.
55 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2013
I've used this sunscreen for outings in Northern California, and it went on well, was not sticky, and provided good protection. When I used it in North Carolina at the beach, I had a slightly different experience:
PROS:
-Didn't get burnt, at all (I am very fair skinned)
-Sunscreen stayed on while in the water
-Is ranked higher on EWG sunscreen reviews, so felt at ease as I applied it all over, day after day ([...]
-When applied before hitting the beach, sunscreen went on easily, and absorbed quickly, w/o sticky residue
-Cost was competitive, especially when compared to other mineral based sunscreens (i.e. as compared to Badger)

CONS:
-When I reapplied at the beach, perhaps due to higher humidity?, sunscreen didn't go on as smoothly and was a bit more sticky, thus attracting sand. It eventually would absorb.
-Really had to scrub at the end of the day to get off the sunscreen (could be a pro?)

At the end of the day, the pros greatly outweigh the cons (for me)
on September 27, 2014
This is an effective sunscreen, but the consistency is terrible. It's incredibly thick so you have to use quite a bit to get coverage and it takes a long time to absorb into skin. I appreciate that it's non-toxic and environmentally friendly, but so are lots of other brands. I'm going back to my DeVita Solar Protective Moisturizer, which is just as effective but much smoother and easily absorbed.
on July 14, 2011
This was a super effective sunscreen. We were on a beach vacation and it was our first time out in the sun for the summer, and this sunscreen worked GREAT. The only however is that it is thick.....kind of like Desitin, so it's not really pleasant to put on.
on December 12, 2013
I got this sunscreen based on price for ounce and ingredients,but actually I like the product its self I'm fair skinned so It didn't leave a white cast on me,and its not greasy or sticky feeling doesn't smell bad either.overall for the price and how well it works I will keep buying this.
on November 26, 2014
I spent hours looking on EWG's approved sunscreen list and decided on Alba's Very Emollient Sunscreen because of the price and high rating. I used to use Episencial but it has fallen off EWG's recommended list so I started researching for a new sunscreen. I've also used Kiss My Face SPF 30 sunscreen for the face and neck but I wanted a sunscreen I could use on my entire body without the pricetag of Kiss My Face. I'm really pleased with this sunscreen and its effectiveness, texture, and the fact that it's fragrance-free. When I first received it, I was very weary of it because it looked so thick. The sunscreen actually rubs in VERY easy (easier than most zinc oxide sunscreens I've tried, definitely easier than Episencial and Kiss My Face) and I was NOT left looking like a ghost! Their formula is excellent, I was really happy to find a sunscreen that blended into my skin so nicely without having to put much effort into rubbing it in.

I took Alba on a trip to Hawaii and my husband and I used 90% of the 4 oz. bottle over 10 days - this was putting it on our entire bodies 2-3x/day! We both only burned once - due to only putting it on once in the morning while we were out swimming our first day (our fault!). I love this stuff, I hope this will remain on EWG's approved list for a long time.
on April 28, 2015
I appreciate that this product is natural and I'm not introducing millions of toxins into my skin. However, it's insanely thick and just refuses to absorb into my skin, leaving me with a ghostly appearance for the rest of the day. The smell is pretty nondescript; I think it's meant to be fragrance-free, which usually just means that it smells like whatever goes into it. It also takes a bit of effort to remove it when showering. I don't burn when I use it, though, and that's the name of the game. I haven't yet found a 'natural' sunscreen that I totally love, so the hunt continues...
on December 11, 2014
I couldnt stand the smell of this- I bought it for my face and just couldnt stand the odor. Maybe from the zinc in it? It says unscented but there IS a scent so I wouldnt recommend putting it on your face unless you don't mind the strange smell.