1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of great taste, September 4, 2005
Writing Chemistry (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alberto Pinto: Moderns (Hardcover)
I just loved this book. I waited a month to decide on buying it, since it was a pretty expensive book. I now own this book, and although this book does NOT tell me how to decorate my home, I still get inspired by the pages and pages of photos and sketches. There is a boldness of style, and in certain photos the uses of white and black have an almost Gothic feel. I also love the humor of scales that he plays around with. His uses of materials just wowed me.

Anyhow, if my library had this book, I could learn all of the above, so why did I "buy" this book? The reason for committing to buy this book was for one single reason; I could see the sketches he had made for the projects, and compare them to the actual interior design that was executed. The book does not show processes of sketches, only the finalised versions. But for me, seeing how his visions could translate so literally into a photograph blew my mind. It felt like he could just work things out in his mind, and carry that vision out into solid material.

I do wish I could have seen more of the construction processes, but the book did not promise it, so I can't blame them for this. Hope this helps. Grins.

PS. Since there are so many beautiful photographs, I feel like I am traveling the world by just flipping through the pages.

PPS. I also liked the biography given. His taste is said to be "eclectic", and I identified with his growing up in Morocco, and being influenced by Parisian styles. Here's a quote that sums up his amazing style: "As time passed, when Pinto analyzed his unique decorative vocabulary, he would realize that his love of daring juxtapositions, lavish use of colors, love of comfort and sense of pomp were derivative of his oriental Maghrib. In the meantime, he amassed quintessence of worlds of design from his travels, namely American practicality, British chic and French elegance."

Alberto Pinto: Moderns
Alberto Pinto: Moderns by Philippe Renaud (Hardcover - February 8, 2003)
$75.00 $62.83