4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Parties Interesting!
Published on January 3, 2007 by D. Wallace

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccuracy = Worthless
Published on December 13, 2008 by D. Adkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes Parties Interesting!, January 3, 2007
D. Wallace (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
We have a lot of parties so I purchased the breathalyzer to make sure people are safe to drive home. It is also fun to use just to measure alcohol content consumed. The item seems to work great however, be sure to wait the 20 minutes after drinking and eating before blowing into it. If you don't wait, it can cause the device not to work properly and you will have to send it in for recalibration. It only costs about $20 to recalibrate but it can become an inconvienence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accurate, July 12, 2010
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PRO: Professional Edition Digital Breathalyzer Alcohol Detector (Health and Beauty)
I have a breathalyzer installed in my car so I got this one to test myself before blowing into the one installed in my car. I have found it to be very easy to use and very accurate. I actually have a friend who is a policeman and he tested this device in comparison to his police breathalyzer and they were exactly the same. I definately recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccuracy = Worthless, December 13, 2008
I've owned this unit for less than a year and have always followed the instructions. What was purchased as a serious instrument quickly became a silly party toy due to its gross inaccuracy. Tonight was the last straw and was what prompted me to write this. Here it is in a nutshell... I'm 6'1" and weigh 190lbs. Had dinner at 6PM with 2 glasses of white wine (11.5% alcohol content). Followed by movie w/ snacks and 2-3 additional glasses of the same white wine over the next 2 hours. Spent about 30 minutes getting my kids to bed and straightening up the house. Came into my home office at 10:50PM, saw the AlcoHawk and decided to blow just for kicks. The result??? .30 That's POINT THREE ZERO. Second test??? .32 (!) Folks, it's amazing that I'm able to sit and write this as I'm apparently close to passing out. HA! This thing was expensive and has turned out to be a silly waste of money. If they think I'll spend another dime on calibration they're nuts. Shame on them for selling it and shame on me for buying it. My advice: Search "BAC chart" online, choose from the dozens you'll find, print out your favorite, put it in your wallet (or purse), and do the math yourself. It's free and will yield far more reliable results than this over-priced toy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you drink alcohol, February 21, 2009
I bought this product because it was used on me by a police officer. I passed (thank god) but didn't realize how close I was to the legal limit. That second glass of wine with dinner can sneak up on you. It comes with a handy 12 volt power source. Now I always check my BAC before driving no matter how safe I feel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Breathalyzer, January 3, 2007
I don't drink to often so when I do it's hard to know my limits. This thing really helps. However I found that you really have to wait a while after your last drink before it can get a good reading. Once I blew a .04 then 5 minutes later I blew a .09!! I trust this thing works though. It does warn you that you should wait about 20 minutes after your last drink. I would wait longer though. It was worth the money for me. You should send it to be calibrated every 6 months though.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is PRO!, May 23, 2008
J. Martino (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the AlcoHawk Pro Alcohol Detector from Amazon about a month ago, and have used it 4 times. This thing is great! It provides consistent (accurate) readings when used correctly.

*Pros:

Good battery life
Accurate sensor
Easy to use
Comes with a nice hard plastic case with a soft cloth cover, a DC (cigarette lighter) adapter, and extra plastic mouthpieces

*Cons:

Price
20 Minute wait time after last food/drink

To test the accuracy of this product, my girlfriend and I both had about 6 drinks over the course of 1.5 hours. We each waited 20 minutes, then took turns blowing into the machine. Over the course of 10 minutes and 3 tests, my BAC read 0.05-0.06, deviating only by 0.01. My girlfriend's readings were 0.11-0.13, deviating by only 0.02. Considering we took alternating turns with the machine over a short period of time but it maintained its accuracy, I'd say the sensor within this machine is worth every penny.

I was apprehensive about the price of this item, but after using it a few times I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool for moderation!, April 15, 2008
I bought this because although I like to imbibe, I do not like to get drunk. Being moderate is important to me. The Alcohawk Pro: Professional Edition Digital Alcohol Detector is a great purchase for those looking to be sure never to drive over the BAC limit (or let their guests do so either!), for those who want to be moderate and have a way to keep yourself really honest, or to just learn your tolerance levels better.

Imagine knowing what it REALLY feels like when you're a .08 BAC and you thought you were "fine" to drive! It's a powerful safety tool. However, it will warn you not to use it to judge your ability to drive - they have to make that disclaimer so they don't get sued. But, isn't it better that you at least checked in with yourself before you got behind that wheel?

Yes, you'll have to get it recalibrated but it comes with a log book so you can guesstimate when it's time to send it in for services. Hey, 20 bucks in recalibration costs is cheaper than the thousands a DUI or worse consequences would cost you. And that goes for the cost of the machine, too. I got the highest quality one for just that reason. Anything is cheaper than the possible consequences of drinking. Spend the extra cash and get this one. Just be sure to follow the directions carefully and don't let people play with it unnecessarily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, April 17, 2010
JBS (Rocky Mtns) - See all my reviews
We have purchase 2 Alcohawk breath testers. Both lasted barely a year... just enough to go beyond the warranty period. They each came up with "SN" meaning the tester can't recalibrate. The solution? Send it into Alcohawk for recalibration (with a fee) and everything's fine, right? Wrong! They claim the unit cannot be calibrated and offer us a lousy $15 trade-in toward a new tester. So our $100+ testers are now worth only $15 trade-in!

Our advice: Don't EVER buy anything "Alcohawk"! Look someplace else and consider a company that stands behind their product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Follow THE directions and it works like it should!, November 30, 2009
So man bad reviews on this product and related products. It clearly states to wait 20 minutes after your last drink to get an accurate reading. I tested this, I took a shot of tequila "first drink" and went straight to the AlcoHawk Pro,, read a .10, which is legally drunk in TX. 15 minutes later, it read .002 and 5 minutes later .001. Then for the beer test. I chugged a 24oz Bud Light and straight the Alcohawk pro, it read a .216, which is pretty darn high!! 20 minutes later .002 .. So when I go out drinking, I stop drinking 20 minutes before I leave said given location to make sure I know what I am at. It is worth the extra money compared to the crap ones for $[...].. It comes in a hard carrying case and a lighter adapter for your car.. cheap ones do not have that!!

I recomend everyone own one of these things!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Gift for Those You Care About, June 21, 2008
I bought this item as a kind of "gag-gift" for the training department of my largest client. They are a pretty young group and like to party every now and then. They thought that it was hilarious that I got it for them and immediately started joking about how they could incorporate it into some of their drinking games (on their days off of course). Later I learned that what started as a joke led to them using it to make sure that their team members were fit to drive. I received some sincere thanks from them later for caring enough to get them this well made, pro-quality detector.