5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent breathalyzer
Published on December 1, 2008 by Nathan A. Price

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh
I like it but the recalibration is a pain which you will have to do for all of them I guess.
Published 18 months ago by Scott J Riddle

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent breathalyzer, December 1, 2008
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
After negatively reviewing and returning the BACTRACK breathalyzer, I ordered this one as a replacement, hoping for better results. Yes, it is a lot more expensive, but it works and it works great. It has several settings and keeps count of the total number of readings. So far it has seemed to be very accurate. The only minor downside is that although the blow time can be set from 3 - 8 seconds, it always resets to 5 seconds every time the unit is turned off and back on.

UPDATE (4/2/10):

Well this breathalyzer has become the hit of several parties. It's becomes quite the entertainment piece and is also a great way for figuring out who is wasted and shouldn't be driving. As with all breathalyzers, you do have to wait the 20 minutes to get an accurate reading. If you blow in it right after a tequila shot, your BAC will read really high since all that alcohol is right in your mouth and hasn't been absorbed fully into your bloodstream. However, this thing has recorded several hundred readings and is still working great. After you use it enough you get a really good idea of where you are on the scale and I can pretty much tell whether or not I'm over 0.08 without even blowing into it. I've done it enough so now I know. It has definitely been worth the money I paid for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Who knew about recalibration costs?, September 22, 2010
William Wrege (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
I guess it works. It's fairly simple to use and carries the reading to thousandths. It's been interesting to see how I feel at .08, and it's turned into a party toy. Be advised that the instructions say to get it calibrated after 200 uses, and the recalibration cost about $30. There is no giant headline telling you that at the point of purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars We find it to be very accurate!!, July 11, 2012
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
Unfortunately, my husband had to have an ignition interlock device breathalyzer device put in his vehicle. On a couple of occassions we went out for dinner and he had a beer, ate and waited for an hour and we thought everyting was fine for him to drive. Well it wasn't fine and the vehicle wouldn't start. (Crap) We have had the AlcoHAWK PT500 for about a month and it's been dead on. No more problems wondering if he could start the car. Not to mention we have had some fun with it. I discovered what .08 feels like.

All this being said, get one and be safe out there. Don't end up like us. DUI's are no fun, a huge big hassle, and very very very expensive!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of the box had to send back for adjustment - works great now!, October 19, 2010
Paul S. Oliver "Paul" (Olympia, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
This item is easy to use, and I believe it is reliable - when we received it however the volume and force of the exhaled breath to get this device to register was too much for my wife to be able to do, and I could barely exhale long enough and forcefully enough to get it to read a blood alcohol level. I sent it back for adjustment and now it works great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, October 23, 2010
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
Really easy to use this product. Remeber to buy more blowing tubes. That is the only down fall, becuase you do not get many with the original purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars best of the bunch, August 26, 2013
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
I have bought a few different brands to compare them and have found most to be very disappointing - if not downright dangerous as some will convince you that you are within the 'acceptable' BAC range when you really are not (and others, especially cheapies, will show you over the limit after one small drink which is useless) but this model produces consistent results that make sense and that I would be prepared to rely on (within a reasonable margin of error). The only minor issue I have is that it shows low readings (about 0.015 and below) as zero so you could be lulled into a false sense of security and think it is OK to have a couple more drinks when you are actually already close to 0.02 which could tip the balance before you know it. This is definitely better than most people's method of trying to decide if they have had too much to drink as a number of times I have felt fine but this machine has convinced me otherwise, possibly saving my licence (or avoiding an accident). Always allow 10 - 15 minutes after drinking before testing as alcohol in the mouth will give you false readings - the results are very consistent after that time.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is probably one of the devices that provides you more "peace of mind", I'd have gave it 5 stars but..., March 30, 2013
A. Flores (San diego, CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
What I really like about this item: the peace of mind that you get, sometimes you have a couple of drinks and you are not sure if your BAC is within the legal limit, sometimes you can feel great and sober, but your BAC can be above the limit, depends on multiple factors like tiredness, weight, food, etc. ever since I bought this item I have peace of mind when hitting the road.

I would have gave it 5 star if it wasnt because of the hassle that it says that you need to send it to re-calibration after some period of usage, can't they build a device that doesnt represent such a hassle? seriously, due to the peace of mind I would be willing to spend a few (only a few) more bucks cuz it's so much worth it, but I dont look forward to the time that I need to send it to re-calibrate, I want a reliable device all the time without needing to send it anywhere but my glove compartment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent alcohol tester, July 4, 2009
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
The Alcohawk PT500 alcohol tester is as good as a much larger machine costing twice as much. I used
to have a much larger fuel cell machine until it was stolen out of my car when I brought my car to be
serviced.I recently bought the PT 500 from Amazon. The accuracy is listed as .005 + or - at 05%. I would
say it's probably more like + or - .001. It quickly always gives the same values and maybe down .001 as the
kidneys uses the alcohol. This machine is necessary if you drink and drive afterwards. A wonderful machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you drink while out you are crazy not to have one, September 7, 2013
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
I'm no drunk. But I go out with the boys and I go to parties just like most folks. Most people have no idea what their BAC is until the cop pulls you over. I've been pulled over twice after first using this. Both times my BAC was under the legal limit. The first time the cop asked me what I had in my glove box. When I told him what it was and that I used it before driving and what it read, he said "have a nice night". The second time the cop made me blow on his breathalyzer. I blew even less on his unit than on mine. I told the cop "I wouldn't drive if I thought I was over the limit and the only way to KNOW is to have the same technology." It kicks a$$. You do have to get it calibrated once a year but so what. That's a small price to pay. If these pro athletes and actors and politicians carried one and actually used it before getting into their cars, we wouldn't be hearing about their problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality unit, repeatable readings, September 10, 2013
This review is from: AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer (Health and Beauty)
I have been in the business of maintaining and calibrating breathalizers back in the 90's. This unit is by far the best and most accurate portable unit I have experienced.

AlcoHAWK PT500 Breathalyzer