4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Read!, June 19, 2005
Eskychesser (Michigan - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World (Paperback)
Very good read. As I've posted in my other reviews, I collect chess novels. This book is along the lines of a "Luneburg Variation" by Maurensig or "The Chess Team" by Sawaski in terms of writing quality. Either I'm not used to the author's style, or the manuscript was a little choppy. The plot was there - but description of setting did lack some. The author uses much dialogue and dialogue tags to get description across. And the book is a bit pricey at $25 - I think this book should cost more around the $12 mark.

Now for the GOOD part! Any chess player will enjoy this book on the early 20th century chess heroes. If you do not know how to play chess that is fine too, but you won't get much technical display with this book, which I personally feel is appropriate for a chess novel. The characters have excellent life! The Marshall character, the Capablanca character - very well done. The main character, Alexander Alekhine - I felt could have been a hair better. You see a chunk of Alekhine, yet there is this hollowness to his character. The situations of the characters and how they come to life in the chess world - fantastic! So, that's why I gave this book a 4 star rating. I'd probably only go 7 out of 10 on a ten point scale, but ultimately, outside of a little choppiness in reading, it was a very good story and that is essentially what a novel is about.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, exciting read of a master chess player's life., November 4, 1999
This review is from: Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World (Paperback)
This fictionalized history of Alexander Alekhine's life is an exciting read. I don't usually go in for history or biography, but the inclusion of conversations between Alekhine and the people whith whom he interacts give real life to this book. While it helps to have a basic knowledge of chess, the reader does not have to be a world chess champion himself to understand the excitement and frustrations of pursuing a career in the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down!, November 8, 1999
This review is from: Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World (Paperback)
The author develops a character that is so real, so tragic, yet so talented that I was unable to put him out of my mind. Although Alekhine was a real person, the author fictionalized him in the most creative and unpredictable ways. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen next, something totally unexpected occurred. The plot was exciting from beginning to end. It is truly a must read book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read!, October 28, 1999
This review is from: Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World (Paperback)
This book is a page-turner from beginning to end. For those who love chess, twentieth-century history, or simply an exciting story, this is a wild and fascinating ride.

Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World
Alekhine's Anguish: A Novel of the Chess World by Charles D. Yaffe (Paperback - Sept. 1999)
$29.95 $26.96