5.0 out of 5 stars Best value so far
This is based on a short-term experience with the Alera Elusion Chair.

Published on June 24, 2011 by wheresrobert

3.0 out of 5 stars Yo, Shortie!
Published on August 4, 2011 by Cyn E. Clarfield Esq

5.0 out of 5 stars Best value so far, June 24, 2011
wheresrobert (MONTEREY PARK, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Multifunction Chair, Black (Misc.)
This is based on a short-term experience with the Alera Elusion Chair.

I never thought that I would do as much research on chairs, but it took me a few weeks before I finally decided to purchase this chair unseen. My faux leather highback chair's seat cover had torn apart and was really making the skin on my thighs feel really painful! After doing more research, I discovered a whole new world of ergonomic chairs, Herman Miller, and the importance of lumbar support! Now I can understand why someone would spend $600 or more on a chair. This chair is no where near that price range. The quality might surprise you however.

I usually never purchase a product like this without being able to try it out first, because like clothing some things may look nice in pictures but not in person. It may not fit you right, or look and feel cheap. Then because you ordered it online it's such a hassle to return something. Especially when it's something big and heavy.

While there were not a lot of reviews for this chair available, I finally decided to pull the trigger because of a video review of the Alera Elusion chair I found on Youtube. The girl did a really quick review of the chair, but it was enough to give me an idea of the scale based on her height, which I believe was 5'5". Since I'm about the same, I decide that this would at least be a chair that would suit me based solely on that factor alone, and the fact that she had mentioned the chair was a great value with smooth motion and comfort.

I have to give credit to Discount Office Items/UPS, who literally delivered the chair the next day and had a great price. I ordered it Wednesday, it was at my house Thursday. I'm not sure where they are based in California, but that was a turnaround even Netflix couldn't shake a stick at. I do feel guilty about not ordering it from the store of the girl who reviewed the chair, and while they do state on there website that they can do price matching, I really needed the chair immediately and just couldn't wait.

Unboxing the chair, I could tell that the parts are of good quality. Once the chair was assembled, it felt very sturdy with no unusual play in movement, and it was heavy compared to the usual rickety computer/task chairs you sit in at your friend's house so that was a good sign that would hopefully traslate into being more stable.
Assembly was pretty easy and straightforward, I would say the only thing you might need beside the allen wrenches that were provided is a philips screwdriver for two screws that attach a cover to the back of the chair. But all in all, assembly was easy and there are honestly only a couple of bolts you need to use the allen wrenches for. A lot easier than I had originally anticipated.

After using the chair for a little bit, I happy to report that the chair feels very stable and solid all around. I don't think that there are any real weaknesses in the materials, and the quality seems consistent. All the mechanisms for adjustment work smoothly and intuitively, and the controls feel very strong and solid when compared with some higher priced chairs that I tried that have some plastic handles that I'm worried might break if I'm turning it the wrong way.

The seat is well cushioned and thick, flat with a slight contouring in the seat that I'm guessing provides less pressure on you when your sitting down. It's actually wider than the Herman Miller Aeron "A" size that I've used at work for almost ten years. I think it's firm, not too hard or too soft. For me, I think it's comfortable while providing ample support without being too "pillowy" to the point where you feel like your sinking.. The chair has seat glide, so the depth can be adjusted to match the length of your thighs, to me, this is what sold me on this chair. I noticed that there is a little bit of bunching of the cover at the bottom front two corners of the cushion, but it's hardly noticeable and not distracting or ghastly.

The seat has a mesh back. It feels comfortable and compares well with the Aeron I use. It doesn't have any adjustable lumbar support, although there is a slight inward curvature at the base of the seat back. The part that is adjustable, and I didn't know about this, is that the seat back has some height adjustment! Not only that, the control is so easy to use. I was really starting to feel impressed with the value of this chair at that point. So, you do have some height adjustment (only about 2 inches max from its lowest setting)with the seat back. It may not sound like a lot, but it made a difference for me. Hey, at least it has some. Just remember this is the mid back version, I think there is a high back version as well.

I think the only real con with the chair, if I had to choose, would be the armrests. The armrests are height adjustable, and you can adjusted outward about one inch, but there is no easy control for that. You have to loosen the doornob screw at the bottom, pull it out more, and tighten. Not hard, but it's just not readily available. Once you have it set, most likely once you have it set, you wont be adjusting this at all. If you do decide want to have an extra inch, the armrest will not feel as stable/secure as when it is layed up right against the seat. There will be some horizontal play. Not too bad though I think. Compared with the Aeron, the Aeron's arms are more study and secure and has more cushion on the armrests. The angle that the armrests are pointing can be adjusted inward and outward, something I wish this could do, but I'm just being picky. You arms will be just fine with the cushion provided. To be honest, the arms are at least par for the course. Also, sometimes when wanting to adjust the recline, I accidently pull the seat tilt because it's right next to it and it will tilt to it's default setting which is forward. Just mind this when adjusting recline or you will have to reset your seat tilt.

I do wish that the manufacturer provided more color options with the chair as well. I was really attracted to the modern style chairs with vibrant colors, but unfortunately, I couldn't swing those prices. I also wished that the seat was mesh as well, because I think mesh is more comfortable and keeps you cool, but again, I would have to spend more. As a few days have passed, the look of this chair is actually growing on me. The style is understated, black with a certain industrial soundness with it's multiple levers that gives off a sense of a solid working mechanical machine.

I wouldn't recommend this chair so someone who is shorter than 5'4"-5'5", because your back might not be able to reach the back of the chair, and therefore you won't have optimal back support. Since your back can't reach the seat correctly, the back of your knees will be in direct contact with the seat front, which is also not preferred. In this case I think, it doesn't seem like as big a deal since the seat front is not hard, but if it was a mesh with a plastic frame it would be more uncomforable. Also, your feet won't be able to lay flat on the floor. I'm 5'4" and I have the chair height and back set at the lowest setting and my feet barely lay flat on the floor.

Overall, I think this chair is a super value based on it's features and build quality, not to mention the price when compared to other task chairs that don't have some of it's key features. I say it compares well with the basic Aeron in overall feel/quality and value once you consider the price difference (although this doesn't have a mesh seat), I just hope it's as durable as the Aeron I've used for almost 10 years without a hiccup.

In summary based on a short-term experience,

Advantages:
Comfortable
Seat Glide (can adjust seat depth)
Seat back height adjustment
Build Quality
Easy Assembly
Value

Weaknesses
Arm rests cannot be adjusted easily on the fly, could use more cushion
Seat length and chair height will be hard to accommodate people shorter than 5'4"
Wish the seat material was mesh, but that's a personal preference
No lumbar or adjustable lumbar support

5.0 out of 5 stars My whole body said 'Ahhhhhh', January 28, 2013
Shay (Boulevard, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I received the chair in four days and two of those days were weekend days. I chose the Free Super Saver shipping. I live in an out of the way rural area and it usually takes 2 days from town. That is the best delivery time I have ever had for an Amazon order in 19 years. That's saying alot since I have only been unhappy once in those 19 years with shipping time.

I unpacked the box. All the parts were there, nothing was damaged. The 'instructions' aren't great, but they aren't poor. They are just pictures so its harder to tell if the chair is assembled correctly and there are no helpful hints. I had some minor problems getting the chair-back on, but after fiddling with the chair and back adjustments, taking the arms off, and asking my husband to put it on it only took a few minutes.

This is the most adjustable chair I have ever owned. I researched chairs with the same functionality and the cheapest, even mediocre reviewed chair was in the mid $700's. Since its my first chair with these adjustments, I cannot offer experience with this quality of chair, and it is a quality chair. However, I can tell you in 60 seconds if its not going to work ergonomically because I have alot of experience with bad chairs. I have been to urgent care with seized muscles, had muscles deteriorate and been in alot of pain. This is a good chair. I work from home, do the finances, and run a business out of my office. I spend 16-18 hours a day five days a week, and 8-10 hours on the weekend in my desk chair. I not only compared online prices, functionality and reviews, I drove around to many stores and sat in every chair I found.

From the moment I first sat in it, I knew it was the best office chair I had ever sat it even though I spent 20 years in corporate America with firms that had high incidents of carpal tunnel and were always replacing chairs, desk set-ups etc. to try and reduce the incidents. Every time I sit down in it, I spontaneously utter 'Ahhhh'.

I have only been sitting in the chair for about 6 hours, but my whole body feels better. I am 5'9" and I usually have to sit towards the front of the chair with my back unsupported, even with chairs that say they have lumbar support. Not with this one.

This is a good chair and certainly the most bang for my buck that I have ever found in an office chair. I am very happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Yo, Shortie!, August 4, 2011
So if you are under 5'5", It might be best to keep looking. This chair is a monster with levers like a space ship and it weighs about 50+ lbs (which, for an awkwardly shaped item is weird). Most importantly, though, is that my feet can't touch the ground, even at the seat post's lowest setting. No thanks. So I'm returning it. There's great squish in the seat (too much for me), assembly was easy to follow, but there is lifting and shifting of heavy parts. Shipping back has proven to be nightmarish...the company (not amazon) is kind, but somewhat aloof, and the process of taking the chair apart and fitting it back in the box has totally sucked. If actually shipping the chair causes any more problems, I will update.

Oh well. Nice looking chair. Wish it worked out for me. :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great chair., April 11, 2013
Recently something prompted me to ask myself why I was hurting myself in trying to make a basic office chair be comfortable all day using props and pillows.
I spent all afternoon one day researching chairs.
I chose this chair based on both written and video reviews and also it's pricing. One of the reviewers was also able to compare this chair (favorably) to an Aeron chair he had at work.
The chair is great.
My mechanical background shows me it is solidly built.
One of the main reasons I chose this chair was because of the adjustability. IN PARTICULAR THE ABILITY TO TILT FORWARD A LITTLE was a big selling point. It's so nice to be able to easily change the forward angle during the day.
One of the reviewers was having trouble with the adjustability of the seat back height. The mechanism for adjusting the height of the seat back has VERY subtle "clicks" for the FIVE steps up for the height. If you raise the back a little past that fifth click it will drop back to the lowest position.
Amazing price for a great chair.
I'm trying to get my gf to get one as she also spends long hours at her desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, great chair, July 5, 2012
This is a great chair. High quality components. I spent a lot of time searching for a chair at a fair price and I'm so happy I purchased this one. You can tell its high quality as soon as you open the box. Much better than Lexington's similarly priced chair and others in the same class. Your search ends here.

3.0 out of 5 stars Save your neck -- get the $50 upgrade instead, August 24, 2013
I'm about 5'7'' and was hoping that this chair would be very comfortable for prolonged office use. The chair is very high-quality and was easy to assemble. However, the chair was so uncomfortable for my neck that I went back to my ancient chair almost immediately. I spent more time building this chair than sitting in it. My recommendation would be upgrading instead to the Alera Elusion High-Back ( Alera Elusion Series High Back Multifunction ), which provides much better upper-body support, the same quality parts and mesh construction, and a similar price ($220 vs. $170 as of August 2013). The extra $50 made the difference for me between a chair I expect to have 10 years from now and a chair I returned after 3 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this chair, April 4, 2013
The good:

Sturdy chair.

The back is very easy to adjust up or down, helpful in adjusting for lumbar support.

The seat slides forward / backward.

Seat cushion is soft

The bad:

The material covering the seat is a little thin.

I'd buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent chair, October 8, 2012
I spend a lot of time in front of a computer and I was looking for a comfortable, adjustable (two people using the chair at different times), and well built chair.
I also needed something to holdup to my defensive end size frame.
Also did not want non-breathing leather, vinyl, etc. coverings.
Budget was a concern as well.
Research of many many chairs (especially their reviews) led me to the Alera Elusion Multi-function, Mesh Back.
Priced within my budget, and liked the breathable mesh back and thick soft covered seat. Five, count them, five adjustment levers.
Assembly is easy, though if you have a bad back or little upper body strength, a second person to help with some assembly lifting (this chair is of heavy weight construction and size), will be of benefit.
Have used it for quite some time now on a daily basis (4-5 hours per day) and it is holding up without any problems.
While I cannot say this will be the situation for everyone, I ordered the chair on-line one afternoon with standard shipping, and it arrived the next day before noon.
Recap: Good quality, construction, size, and price for my parameters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, June 2, 2012
Great product. Worth the money! Fully adjustable. I bought 2 for my office. Both are 5 star reviews and I am 6'3" and she is 5'6"

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfy, August 15, 2013
My old Office Depot chair my work purchased me almost 2 years ago was falling apart. The faux leather had come off and was revealing the ugly white cloth material underneath. I'm particularly hard on the arms of chairs because I have back pains and tend to lean to one side or the other. After reading many reviews and watching some of the Youtube videos, I decided to try out my luck with this Alera Elusion Multifunction Chair.

My two main concerns were people saying this chair isn't for shorter people and the many complaints that it reeks of a chemical smell. I'm only 5' 7" and had no problem adjusting this chair to where I could sit comfortably with my feet firmly touching the ground. There are many adjustments one can make, so the initial adjusting did require about 10 minutes and looking at the included adjustment sheet that explains each knob and lever. The smell when coming out of the box is pretty bad. I received and put together the chair on a Friday; when I got back the following Monday the smell had dissipated and was barely noticeable. I didn't have to put my chair outside or anything ridiculous like some reviewers have noted. I've had the chair 2 weeks and the odor is gone.

I like this chair it's comfortable and has a good bit of padding to sit on. I sit in a chair for 8-10 hours a day. The mesh backing is extremely comfortable to lean against. I'm not one to constantly keep adjusting my chair, but the options are there to tilt the chair seat forward or recline it back if I want. The one main area of concern I have are the adjustable arms. I'm incredibly bad about leaning on chair arms, I have scoliosis so sometimes my back hurts too much to sit completely straight up. When you lean on these arms there is some wiggle in them because you can raise or lower them. The base part connected to the seat doesn't wiggle, the plastic bottom under the padding that moves up and down is what wiggles. The material in the armrest is some sort of firm rubber foam so it should most certainly hold up compared to the fake leather chairs I've had in the past.

Pros:
-The seat is comfortable for sitting in for long periods.
-Lots of adjustments that normally aren't in chairs of this price range.
-The mesh back is the most comfortable back of any chair I've ever sat in.
-No problems adjusting so a 5' 7" person can sit comfortably.

Cons:
-The chair smells bad upon opening and thereafter for a few days. The smell will go away.
-The armrests have a little wiggle which can take some getting used to if you are a leaner.

Rate and Discover Movies