Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on June 11, 2011
I'm only into Chapter 9 right now in the book, and I'm really liking "Aleron" so far. There's a great sense of passion between Aleron and is creator and queen, Mynea. She love him but, Mynea is keeping things from Aleron too. Despite what she's taught him about picking who he wants to feed on, you can see that Aleron, while a monster, is one with a good heart...so far... he's only feed off of criminials like murders, rapists, and those that would try ( and I do mean "try") to bring harm towards him as well even as a vampire. So what do I think of the book at this point. So far...so really good!!!
on June 30, 2011
ALthough I am not a big fan of this type of writing I thoroughly enjoyed Aleron. Very well written I must admit, this novel kept my attention and continued to give me that desire for more of the story. When I found myself saying "I wonder what Mynea is up to" I know this book had my attention. I have recomended this read to several friends. It almost puts you in the mindframe of Tananarive Due and her wonderful work. I was very impressed with the storyline and the writers ability to approach a vampire novel with such a brave & fearless writing style.
Hats off to you Kane!
on June 30, 2012
My review:

This is the story of a man once human named Aleron. Camilia and Aknon had Aleron the seventh day of January in 1791 in the Greco-Roman city of Alexandria, Egypt; his father was an artisan and his mother and sister Shani devoted their lives to religion. Aleron was no normal boy for he understood the science and the mathematics, but the thing he most loved it was history, and because of history his lived change faster. It was March 22, 1817 just leaving the library for a walk to al-Montaza Square when he felt Her presence. On May 14 in Cairo, Egypt he was attending the most prestigious social ball of the year, the Promethium. Once a year, men of wealth and influence gathered to meet and socialize with their peers, but when a unexplainable illness had befallen Davila he had to come in his place; that's when she meets her in the Concubines room. The moment he sees her proportioned body and those brown eyes of her he felt in love with her. When Aleron wakes up he sees he was naked and a lot of organs were out of him- he was a mess! and this is just the beginning of the changes Aleron most face. He lives in the "castle" with Mynea, his creator, his lover, his immortal mother; in where they will make love, eat and wake up the first years of his immortal life; have adventures in the hunting- but when suddenly Mynea leaves Aleron he is alone and with a broken heart, and with a slave named Eliza that falls in love with him- true love. Just when he decides to hunt again he decides to go back to his past- to his parent's house. Even his father being old and all the years that he hasn't seen his son and even thought of him dead he realizes Aleron is his even if his hair had grown to a mane and his clothing with dark colors; Aleron realizes his mother is dying of a broken heart; he then goes to the City of the Dead were he meets another vampire! and puts him to sleep. Pandora, that's her name, the almost physical twin of Mynea and her worst enemy. She had black hair, her height and general stature were almost identical to Mynea's; her breasts were slightly larger, creamy olive skin with greenish-blue color eyes; and she will help him to complete his vampire life- the creation. Finally Eliza gets what she wants- immortality and given by Aleron is the best thing she could ever have, his first creation and she has an amazing power, to manipulate anyone's organ without touching them. Pandora's warning of him trying to save Mynea is lost when that moments come to life. Aleron most life and live... besides who says Vlad is the beginning of the vampires?

My thoughts:

First, thanks to netgally for giving this amazin book. Is one of my favorite vampire reads so far; besides the random fact where I didn't imagined most of the vampires white. I love this book so much because of the amazing history background explanations; besides the fact that has vampires and a wonderful story. I most-wait I NEED to know what happens next! I will miss this characters so much! they have mark my life. Immortality is not everything as we think.
on June 28, 2012
Have you ever said to yourself, I wish someone would combine the work of Anne Rice and Bram Stoker but take out all of exciting stuff? If the answer is no than skip this book. Don't get me wrong this book has a lot of potential, and I read the entire thing just waiting for it to get good. In this universe it takes a Vampire 11 nights to turn. They aren't actually dead, although most of their "useless" organs seep out of their bodies during the turn (this is not explained). Aleron and the other Vampire's are cold blooded killers. But I never felt on their side. Mostly because they kill brutally for no good reason, they could go almost a year without "eating" yet go out every night and kill indiscriminately. They were not endearing in any way. And sociopath's can be made endearing ("The Talented Mr" Tom Ripley and Hannibal Lector are two examples).

This book is supposed to be the first of five. So maybe we will learn if Vlad is or is not really the first Vampire. Why they turn the way they do, etc... But I doubt I will be reading anymore books from this series. It took almost the entire book for a real conflict and I was still disappointed.
on June 26, 2011
This book is absolutely incredible! I found the story compelling and well written. I anxiously look forward to the rest of the series!
on July 11, 2012
Aleron was very well-written with unique vampire lore and ideas that fascinated. And while I was reveling in said characteristics, this book really felt like a stand alone novel to me. I don't really have any interest in reading the next 4 books in the Strigoi series and because of that, I would have to give it 3.5 stars.

With a tone and writing style compared to the infamous Anne Rice, I believe that Kane's vampire memoir remains unique because of several elements. Some of them being the way that vampires are turned. This isn't a typical pretty vampire romance novel. Being bit by a vampire - friggin hurts. And being turned in one? Well, it's an 11 day process and you wake up in a pile of your now unnecessary organs. Gross? If you think so, you most definitely shouldn't read this book.

Kane is poetically vulgar, and even though I am not at all a fan of horror, because I'm a scaredy chick who has very vivid nightmares, I really enjoyed his ability to make me uncomfortable while still understanding why I had to be.

Here are some of my issues with the book.

It was explained that vampires have an obsessive desire to keep their maker's safe and happy, thus putting their own immortal lives at risk to protect their maker. I enjoyed this concept which explains what drives a vampire to create immortal children. However, if said vampire's maker is still alive, the bond between each maker with their own maker would be continuous...meaning that all vampires would end up just protecting the eldest living vampire. (I hope that made sense...it was a little bit of a word vomit). But, Kane made exceptions to this rule allowing said children to make their maker extremely unhappy and even unsafe. That annoyed me.

Also, most of the vampires in this book are women and men are not allowed to be turned. Although it was alluded to, why that is was never explained. The best reason at this point is because Vlad simply didn't males to compete with. Lame. Maybe this will be explained somewhere in the next four books...but I don't care enough to read them.

This book seemed like it could've ended with only a swift changing of a sentence. I wasn't attached to any of the vampires really. Although I enjoyed some more than others, I was okay with any of them dying to serve Kane's literary goal. Being mad at an author is how I know for sure that they are amazing, and I wasn't ever upset with Kane. Just flipping pages. Waiting for the end. Enjoying leisurely. But a book with no passionate flips...errr...*clicks* of my Kindle pages is not one that I can give any props to.

Anywho, although I enjoyed this book and it was a quick read, (and I think those who adore Anne Rice will too) it just wasn't quite up my fantastical alley.

*I received this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review*
on June 19, 2012
Aleron created by Mynea to love forever, as he fights for his immortal life. Ann Rice,look out,here comes Kane and Aleron,just the beginning of a 5 part vampire extravaganza!

Aleron must cope with a timeless existence, seeing those he loves suffer the fate of mortality, while he remains cursed with eternal life. What if your immortal origin, as well as others of your kind, were hidden from you by the one you loved most; the one who gave you a life of darkness and a lust for the sweetest nectar? These dilemmas and more face Aleron, but he must first learn to live, to survive, and, most of all, to feed. Seduced by the alluring vampire, Mynea, Aleron learns what it truly means to be immortal as he adapts to his new life and insatiable lust. She is teaching him to give her what her maker never could. She desires a new king and a new coven. Hearts, minds, and vampire souls intertwine as long kept secrets crawl out from the grave, refusing to remain buried beneath the earth and ageless lies.
A blood kiss between them reveals a darker and even deadlier soul that has learned of Aleron's blasphemous existence. Vlad is the beginning, the father of them all. Mynea must not let her young prince learn of her ancient king. Can a vampire truly love and trust another of his kind when their very lives depend on skillful deceit? Walking a thin line between life and death, Aleron is certain of one thing, if love is, then blood is.

Look for the reprint edited by Dennis De Rose of Moneysaver Editing coming soon.....
on August 15, 2012
This is Book 1 of the Strigoi Series. It is basically the story of Aleron and how he was made into a vampire by Mynea. The story goes even further back to Vlad who was Mynea's maker. Vlad only made female vampires and made a rule that no male vampires were to be made. Mynea broke this rule and turned Aleron. Mynea eventually left Aleron with no explanation and returned to Vlad. Aleron was heartbroken and eventually he came into contact with Pandora and she shows him how to start making his own vampires that will protect him and make him stronger. Without giving away any spoilers, Aleron will come face to face with Vlad.

I do enjoy vampire novels but this one was just a bit too gory for me. The author explained the kills in all the brutal detail and didn't leave out any of the gore. I liked the way it was written, the author's prose drew me into the story and I really enjoyed the historical aspects of the story as well. I may have to read the others in the series when they are released so I can see what will happen to Aleron and Mynea.

I received this ebook free from the publisher, Greenleaf Book Group, through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
on June 23, 2012
This book takes you through just about every emotion that we try to bury as "good" human beings. We hate, we abhor, we lust after, we judge, we condemn, we choose one character over the other while not even having all of the details...... It's just a ROLLER-COASTER of all the emotions we are taught to tuck away and NEVER to indulge. But while reading Aleron, we DO. We indulge these emotions on a level that we almost feel guilty about divulging having done so to anyone else. So, what do we do? We read Aleron while alone, tucked in... somewhere where we do not run the risk of anyone else witnessing us tasting such forbidden pleasures in such dark places and ENJOYING them. We indulge in and enjoy Aleron so much that by the time we finish it we experience one more emotion (or maybe more like it)from the "dark side" a little anger tinged with frustration at having to wait for what comes next. And by that time it is too late. Aleron has given us the gift of unbridled emotion-and we are not inclined in the least to return it........
on January 15, 2014
It is always nice to come across a book that exceeds your expectations. Aleron is a vampire story that all other vampire stories should try to emulate. Beautifully written, always engaging, appropriately gruesome,colorful in exquisite description, and thrilling to the last page.

Never have I seen such detail and enormity of an entire culture...nay, race of the undead. Despite the foulness of their existance, you can't help but be drawn in to their dark world. With a cliff hanger ending that only promises the rest of the Strigoi Series will be as magnificent as this, I can scarcely wait for their release.

This, then, is the new standard by which all future vampire stories will be compared!