4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions
Published on May 12, 2010 by Thomas Cocozzoli

3.0 out of 5 stars Alesis PalmTrack portable recorder
I used the Alesis Palmtrack more than a year before posting anything.

It serves me quite well when I record acoustic performers.
It provides good overall range and clarity.
It is excellent as a dictation tool and field recorder.

I don't have an issue with the PalmTrack until it comes to
recording a band with the bass guitar...
Published on November 18, 2012 by Derrick Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, May 12, 2010
Thomas Cocozzoli "Tom C." (Lansing, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alesis PalmTrack Handheld Portable Digital Recorder, 24-Bit SD (Electronics)
This is a rather handy device. I needed something that I could just quickly record some song demos and send to band mates over the web. It does as advertised and sounds surprisingly crisp. I am currently using the "mp3" setting at 320 and the two built in mics. Have not tried a separate mic yet. I have recorded with "wav" but could not send a 3 minute song via e-mail attachment because it was "too big" of a file to send so I went back to "mp3". Frankly, could not tell the difference in sound quality. Menu is easy to set, too. I attached the base of unit to a mini-tripod (camera) stand so it doesn't tip over--that's a really nice feature. Don't know about battery usage yet--seems fine so far. Once hooked up to a computer you can "rename" your songs and that also shows up on the PalmTrack, too after you disconnect. The unit is very plastic-y and I don't recommend dropping it! Best advice--get the little mini-tripod camera stand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, August 6, 2010
I needed a simple but good quality recording of my church choir. This little recorder did the job (on a tripod to get the height and stabilty needed). It is easy to use both for recording and downloading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alesis PalmTrack portable recorder, November 18, 2012
Derrick Johnson (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
I used the Alesis Palmtrack more than a year before posting anything.

It serves me quite well when I record acoustic performers.
It provides good overall range and clarity.
It is excellent as a dictation tool and field recorder.

I don't have an issue with the PalmTrack until it comes to
recording a band with the bass guitar.
Alesis purports the device includes
"bass compensation for reducing the proximity effect in close-miked situations",
but I have not found a situation where it works well - I'm a bass player.
I've tried distances from 10 to 100 feet.
The PalmTrack attempts to compress the bass laden audio to the result of
overall attenuation and distortion.

Additionally, there are no accessories for the device.
The AC adapter is published in every review and product description as optional. Try to order one.

I think I'll try the Tascam DR-05 next.

2.0 out of 5 stars It probably works fine, if you don't want to record 24Bit, December 12, 2012
I got the Alesis PalmTrack because I didn't care about the mics. I use it for live recording, but I have separate powered mics that I put into the line in jack. All I needed it to do was record 44.1 wav in 24Bit. Well, it says it does, but it doesn't. They also claim that there is a firmware update to fix that, but it doesn't install. I was on the phone with support for 15 minutes after holding for 30. The guy said that there was nothing he could do. If you just want to record your voice, it is probably ok, otherwise stay away from it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice features... but cheap construction, low quality and virtually inaudible speakers reduce its value..., August 3, 2011
Hieronymus (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This recorder seemed like a nice answer for someone who wanted a memo-taking voice recorder as well as a recorder capable of handling decent quality stereo recordings from a line or mic source which could be plugged in.

Looking at the feature set, this recorder would SEEM excellent, especially if one can obtain it at a low price.

However, taking it out of the box, one is immediately struck with the "cheapness" of the feel of the construction. The buttons feel like they will break in short order and make a lot of noise when pressed. Indeed, it felt more like a toy - or one of those junk imports one finds at an open-air flea market.

Next problem I noticed is that when trying to play back voice recordings, unless one has noise-isolating or noise-canceling headphones, the recording was almost impossible to hear in anything but the quietest of rooms. This, alone, is a problem, especially for voice memo purposes, since voice can't be played back from the speakers without having to fuss with headphones. Not what I would expect from even the cheapest voice recorders.

The internal mics are poor and not up to the task of making high-quality recordings. This, itself, wouldn't have been a serious issue for me, as I was more concerned with making recordings from other sources or hooking up to external mics, but when this cheapness is added to the other shortcomings on this unit, it only compounds the issues and the lack of overall value. The same can be said for the overly-small display screen (which is ironically small considering that the overall unit isn't nearly as compact as one might expect)

Lastly, I will mention the internal SD card, which is nice to have, but as a Class 2 card, it's incapable of handling the higher bandwidth recordings this recorder can make.

Overall, it is a great concept and would have been ideal, but the implementation was far too low-quality and toy-like for this great idea to realize even a modicum of its potential.

I won't consider it worthless, just don't expect much out of it - and don't expect it to last. I suggest only buying one if you get it at a shockingly low price, i.e. under $40.

I would give it 3/5 stars if the price were lower, but for the current price of pushing $100, I give it 2/5, due to the lack of value for price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy., December 29, 2010
My first impression of this item was certainly less than impressive. It is not as small and as neat as I had hoped. Plus the casing material is a very cheap plastic that does not feel sturdy at all. What is small though is the display. You need a magnifying glass to see all the details in the lcd screen. VERY difficult to read. The 'monitor' button to switch the phones on/off does not work. The autogain feature is also ver disappointing; while it may prevent overloading in the recording, where levels are very soft, it does not raise the gain to give a consistent recording level. Also, while recording a live proram where I was doing the sound system, I realised it stopped recording on its own, causing me to miss a lot of the program. However what was most disappointing was that the product description indicated that you would be able to create tracks while recording and there is no way to do this. Sadly this was one of the main reasons I bought it, and it doesn't even exist. If I was not in Trinidad I would have certainly returned it but unfortuneately I guess I'm stuck with this. I am truly truly disappointed with Alesis. I have usually stood by their products.....until now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, January 19, 2013
This recorder is a good backup audio recorder. The cons for me are that the SD card is hard to get out of the unit and the menu is not the easiest to maneuver. But once recording, it does its job well and gives you good recordings. Also, if you're like me and quickly used the product right out of the box without reading the manual, press record twice. I thought I was recording but realized a little too late that I wasn't.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked fine for a year, April 26, 2012
A. Peterson (Princeton, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Decent quality recording, tiny buttons and complicated interface, but it was fine. And then it just stopped working. It looks like it's working, but it doesn't actually record--the SD card comes out blank!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... almost three years ago and I can't find anything better to record, January 11, 2015
I've bought this recorder almost three years ago and I can't find anything better to record. Great sound, compression, etc.

One thing, I couldn't found a way to set up the date in the device so all files are dated January 1st, 1980.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little recorder, February 19, 2012
This recorder is small, compact and does everything you could ask for in a reocrder. I use mine mostly for recording mp3 audio files for video recording I do in my business. This recorder is sold at a price that is very hard if not impossible to beat for what you get. I have other much more costly recorders of this type that do little if anytrhing better than this one.