Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: ALEX Toys Rub a Dub Water Flutes
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 30, 2009
My son is almost 3 and he LOVES these flutes (he calls them "whistles").

SOUND: Honestly, the sound is not as annoying as the average recorder or whistle (though the higher pitches become correspondingly, well, shriller).

HOW THEY WORK: The note each of these instruments plays is based on how much water is in the flute, which means that if you're doing this with a three year old you need to help them carefully fill these flutes to the right level (and you're probably not going to be playing the included songs right away). I think this is actually great educational value--practice letters with little kids, talk about the relationship between the water level and the sound as the child gets older, including scales, etc.) but if you're hoping your kid is going to play ("properly") with this toy on his or her own at 3 or 4, you might be disappointed.

PROBLEM--DRINKING THE BATH WATER: I would actually suggest parents with younger children consider playing with these outside of the bathtub (maybe with a deep bowl of water for filling the flutes?). I say this because if your kid tips the flute back (that is, instead of holding it in "recorder" position, he chooses "trumpet" position) water will pour into his mouth. Since the bath water is not the cleanest, I'm not thrilled about that. Ditto if you're thinking of using them in a pool. Obviously, it's good to teach your kids the proper way to hold these instruments, but still, preschool age kids are always going to be tipping them back some of the time, even by accident.

Anyway, in short, I think these are really fun toys, and I'll definitely be buying them for friends!
66 comments|206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2008
These are marketed toward younger children, but my 9 yr. old loves them. She's quite impressed now playing Mary Had a Little Lamb by memory :) You can keep all the flutes together in the holder or take them apart if you have more than one child.

I will warn that after a while you get sick of hearing the kids playing the same songs over and over and over again, but they're happy so just wear some earplugs.
on December 30, 2009
My daughter loves being in the tub, so naturally, we looked at the Alex products and bought quite a few. The flutes do not stay in the blue foam holder at all, and they slip, so they will not stay at the same level either. My daughter can use the flutes individually, which does not help when you want to do a song. If the holder was a snap-in holder, it would be a better product. My husband is going to try and rig something up.
on September 19, 2011
My 1 and 5 year old received this for Christmas this past year. We've owned it for almost 10 months.

At first, I was worried about the water getting gross staying inside the flutes, but it is fairly simple to just put them into the basket upside down, and the bottom screws a drain open so they can air out.

They do tend to leak slowly - so they do not hold their tone for a long time.

Filling them up is easy, but getting them to the right level is sometimes tricky - especially if the toddler wants to hold the toy.

I'm not even sure where the blue holder is ... they won't stay in the holder. This makes it hard to play a tune, as you cannot hold onto 5 at once with little hands.

My older boy does enjoy the musical aspect of them, but mostly he uses them to fill and watch the water drip out. However, one of my nephew's likes to play with them when he is over, he has figured out they make different sounds with the level of the water. He has a "scientific" curiosity.

I think this would be better used as a teaching tool than a bath tub toy ... and since I homeschool, I look forward to using it for our science unit on sound later this year - I expect this will cause J to do a lot of further experimenting when we return them to the tub.

They appear quite durable, and have held up to being stepped on (by the kids) and banged on the side of the tub. They have, so far, always cleaned up really well, they do not smell bad, and the colored markings are not washing off.

The colors are bright, and my 1 yo likes to talk about the colors and watch the water go in and out of the tubes.

The sheets of music stick nicely to our garden tub walls - but my kids really don't use them, they just sit in the basket.
on February 7, 2011
Cute toy and idea. However, the foam flute holder does NOT work well. With water in them making them heavier and a wet/slippery foam, the flutes do not stay in place. They slip down and/or out of the foam holder all together. Still, my 2 year old enjoys using them one at a time. As she gets older, it would be neat to be able to use the music cards to play a song...IF the flutes could stay in place. Educationally, even my 2 year old realizes they sound different with various levels of water in each flute. She'll add water, remove it, etc. to see how the sound changes. A nice idea would be to add a edge so it's more evident to younger ages where their mouth should stop in order to blow into the flutes. It's more difficult for a younger child to know they can't cover the top hole or the sound won't come out. A stronger holder, and the lip alteration would simply expand the target age group.
on August 24, 2009
This is my child's favorite new bath toy. He is three and easily figured out how to use them and tries every night to "make music". GREAT bath toy.
on June 13, 2015
This is the best toy ever--why don't they market it for adults?! My husband and I like playing with this at least as much as our 20-month-old daughter. I love that it's easy to use and fun to play with. If I had to do it again, I'd probably just buy the single one. I understand that the concept of buying five at once is so you can play a whole range of notes. We're not that coordinated, though. The tones are really nice and we have fun with them. We hear the tooting of the flutes from the bathroom when we leave for a sec during bathtime. If your little one likes musical instruments then this is a fun addition to the out-of-the-bath instruments that are readily available. (Plus, you can actually use this out of the bath, too. No reason why you can't add some water from the sink!)
on September 5, 2015
My son (5 yo) loves playing with these in the shower, and it's hard to find toys that he can have fun with in the shower. It is hard for him to put all 5 in the holder and play it like that - he mostly just use 1 or 2 at a time. If I help with with putting all 5 into the holder then he can attempt to play the songs that comes with the cards. It's a great idea for a toy.

I do try to empty them every time he finishes, so that they don't get moldy or slimy. However, since there's no way to clean the inside of the flutes, I think it's just a matter of time until they will have to be tossed due to mold or slime.
on February 14, 2016
These are fun! My boys are 4 and 1.5, so they don't get the concept of filling the water to the line to create that particular pitch - and they don't follow the sheet music. They also don't allow me to serenade them while they bathe... but considering they pee in the tub, I've given up trying... A great toy if you're looking for a way for your kids to create really obnoxious high pitch sounds.
on July 11, 2013
My kids love these. My 4 year old can follow the music sheets that are included and she thinks it so much fun to do so! My 2 year old loves to just see how loud he can make them. My only complaint would be I wish they were easier to clean. A brush to scrub them out would be have been nice.