5.0 out of 5 stars A Heck of a CD, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
This, so far, is my favorite Eric Alexander CD. It is somewhat electric with respect to the guitar and organ but the result will please any purest. Come to think of it, I don't have many jazz recordings any better. There are no weak tracks on the CD. It can be played beginnig to end and hold your interest.

If you are getting to know this artist this CD is a a great starting place. It should ,in my oppinion, be one of the op 100 jazz recrdings of all time. I don't have a music degree but I know what I like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Great players,Great Tunes,Great Session, July 6, 2010
C. Katz "Chazzbo" (Peoples Republic Of Massachussettes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
Can't believe I never got review this before.Alexander is in fine form and like Mr.Wang said has a 50's sound on this mainly mid tempo romp that would fit Hank Mobley if he ever did a B-3 session.Here Alexander has great support from Trumpeter Rotondi,and Drummer Farnsworth and the ever tasty Peter Bernstein does a fine job but it is the "Almighty Burner" Charles Earland who steal the show.The problem with many B-3 dates including some by the King himself Jimmy Smith is that the power of the Organ can just blow the band away (a nice exception to that is Smiths "Softly As In A Summer Breeze" with Burell).But here the Earland known for such greats as "Black Talk" and "Living Black" shows how a B-3 can comp for a horn player.Earland just pumps away with a left hand that in this case really does give reason to exclude a bss player because he is so tight and does not blow everybody else into the weeds.Great song selection with fine rendition of pop number Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" Eric Alexander has made many fine CD but some are just work out's.This is top shelf.You can tell that though Harold Mabern may have been his mentor he was really inspired by Earland.I tell folks who like B-3 from bigger names to like Jimmy Smith or Jimmy McGriff to check Earland out as well as Charles Kynard.All in the band from their young and fearless leader are smokin' be the tune laid back or groovin'. This is one CD that lives up to it's title.
Cheers
Chazz

5.0 out of 5 stars Eric the Great, October 4, 2009
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
I just recently discovered Eric Alexander. What have I've been doing? This guy is one of the best jazz men I've heard in a long time. Together with the late great Charlie Earland from Philly this album had me bopping my head, shuffling my feet and testifying all at once. I've since grown my Alexander collection with three other albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars BAD, BAD ERIC!, March 11, 2002
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
ERIC ALEXANDER IS AN IMMENSLEY POWERFUL AND LYRICAL TENOR PLAYER.
THIS ALBUM CAPTURES HIM IN FABULOUS FORM. HIGHLIGHT OF THE CD FOR ME IS HIS FLOWING, BEAUTIFULLY DEVELOPED WORK ON THE UNLIKELY SOUL VEHICLE "LETS STAY TOGETHER". ALEXANDER HAS CLEARLY STEPPED OUT THE POST COLTRANE DENSE HARMONIC FOREST THAT MOST RECENT PLAYERS ARE LOST IN. HE CAN PLAY A LOT OF NOTES, BUT THEY ALL WORK FOR THE MELODY. ALTHOUGH MR ERIC MIGHT FIND THIS CHARACTERIZATION A BIT LIMITING - I THINK HE SOUNDS LIKE A 50'S HARD BOP MASTER WITH A MODERN TOUCH. IN OTHER WORDS THE
EMPHASIS IS ON THE MUSIC AS A WHOLE AND NOT SIMPLY HEMORRAGING
AS MANY NOTE AS POSSIBLE. THE SIDEMEN ON THIS ALBUM PROVIDE COHESIVE, COMMUNICATIVE AND SWINGING SITUATION FOR ALEXANDER TO CREATE IN. A MUST HAVE ALBUM BY A TREMENDOUS TENOR PLAYER.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outrageously Excellent Recording!, July 27, 2013
thedre (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alexander the Great (MP3 Music)
Kudos have to go to the engineers on this one, because the sound is fabulous on this recording. Big, meaty, thrilling, rich...I can go on and on. Everything works on this marvelous recording. The excitement is high, the power is way up there....it's the kind of Blue Note album you dreamed of getting but rarely found. No weaknesses anywhere. And if you're a player, a jazz guitarist, for instance, you'll be all over this music.
The best reason to get a really excellent sound system for your computer..a great sub...the works.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, October 24, 2000
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
This is a wonderful CD, with some of the finest tenor saxophone playing you will ever hear. Eric Alexander has a beautiful, huge sound and his playing should put a smile on many faces. No need for any comments on the music, just press play and the band do the talking! I hope that anyone who buys this CD will enjoy it as much as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 11, 2014
K. C. Anderson (San Carlos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
5 Star Rating!...

4.0 out of 5 stars Eric Alexander, the King of the tenor saxophone, October 3, 2013
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
I have been nuts for Eric Alexander after I bought his record "Mode for Mabes" at the used music store here. This guy is probably my favorite, current, tenor sax player. I saw him in 2006 at the Lensic Theater with the McCoy Tyner All Stars. I have considered a plane ticket east to see him and Harold Mabern play together, my current dream concert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Alexander the Great (Audio CD)
Even though this CD was recorded 14 years ago, it is one of the best Eric Alexander ever produced. I like each title.

Alexander the Great
Alexander the Great by Eric Alexander (Audio CD - 1999)