Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Alexander McQueen: Evolution
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 12, 2013
This is an excellent book for individuals interested in McQueen.

There are not any still pictures they are all runway pictures some are a bit grainy but others are very clear and close up enough to see some of the detail, with that being said it was an excellent book for me as I went to the Met exhibit when his collection was presented there. I also have the Savage Beauty book (that was published at the same time the exhibit was at the Met) that can be utilized more for really looking at his garments in more of a detailed manner as those images were taken on mannequins. I will be utilizing the Evolution book more as a way to see what the garments looked like on live models and how the garments fit the body which was a nice and different perspective rather than on stiff mannequins.

I enjoyed how the book was broken into part by the show name and year and where the show was presented. I think the book has a nice mix of text and of images. It also has some quotes from McQueen scattered about the book.

I especially liked that the book shared images of his last/final collection the Posthumous Collection/Demon and Angels Collection. While it doesn't have all the images it did have a few so you could see a beautiful glimpse of his final work.

I think if you have been to the exhibit at the Met, have the Savage Beauty book, love McQueen or just newly discovered the brilliance of McQueen it is a great book to add to your collection. I am thrilled that I purchased this book.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 19, 2012
This book is an absolute treasure, and I don't use that word lightly. I remember being a young teen in the mid-90s, glancing through my mother's Vogue until my eyes caught on an Alexander McQueen couture gown; I still have the faded page of the gown, torn from the magazine. I was captivated that day and remained so until his death. Alexander McQueen was truly a remarkable talent in the fashion world, and his ability to incorporate theatrics and performance art within his shows was revolutionary. Part retrospective and part tribute, this book encompasses all of his major shows, giving us glimpses of standout fashion and the mind of an amazing talent. Gleason gives a bit of an introduction to McQueen's life and career, but goes into depth regarding his shows, right down to how each runway was styled. Full page photos are spread throughout each section, eye-catching color juxtaposed against black paper at the beginning of each "chapter." Quotes from McQueen are scattered throughout the pages of his collections, musings and insight that pair perfectly with his fashion. I am so glad I purchased this book. Any true McQueen fan will be delighted.
on October 23, 2012
Fantastic review of McQueen's creations on and off the runway. This book is full of great quotations, luscious photographs of his designs and models and wonderful anecdotes about his rise to fame. Inspirational!
on June 2, 2013
Why settle for eye candy when you can dig in to a full banquet of rich and satisfying imagery and design? I love looking at this book and as an artist, I find McQueen's creativity compelling and inspiring. The photography offers a more candid view of fashion as it happens on and behind the runway, and I personally enjoy the movement and spontaneity in many of the images.
on April 6, 2014
Excellent and interesting book chronicling Lee Alexander McQueen from just before graduation through his death, following his dear mother. Each collection is detailed, but I do so wish there were more photos of each collection. McQueen was such an amazingly innovative designer. Sarah Burton who now designs for McQueen's label just does not compare really (none of her fashions are shown in this book - it is all McQueen and biographical).
on December 30, 2012
I bought this as a gift for my son's girlfriend, and it surpassed her expectations. Although there isn't a lot of information about McQueen's personal life in this book, it appears that's because there really isn't much available, or his friends are keeping his privacy. I prefer a book that emphasizes the art, the contribution the person made, rather than just being gossipy. He was a genius, and certainly an example of what the imagination can give to us all. Too bad it was so hard for him. Thank you Alexander McQueen.
on January 24, 2014
Yes the book covers all the collections by Alexander McQueen, but each collection was illustrated by as little as THREE, no more than half a dozen images!!! Are you kidding me?? Collections these days contain anything between 20/30 up to 50/60 pieces, and the story of a collection can go from anywhere from high drama to low drama back to high drama, to a roller coaster drama display, to building drama going from day to night looks...and the author wants to convey these stories with a handful images?? Speaking of roller coasters, I totally feel taken for a ride with this book. There are only so many collections McQueen did, how hard can it be to get a book together with ALL of them, and ALL the images... Best book -- actually only good book -- still on the subject is the one by the Met.
on November 26, 2013
This book describes each show and the significant details about staging it. It takes us through all of his groundbreaking extravaganzas with wonderful photographs.
The thing to do is read the descriptions and look at the photos while watching the shows on Youtube.
on April 8, 2015
I liked this book more than Savaged beauty. It really documents his career and impact upon the fashion industry. The book has more of his thoughts and expressions towards design. It previewed more of his collections leading up to his death. It was an evolution!!
review image
on January 18, 2013
Great coffee table book. Good visual pics and story lines to back up pics! Given as a gift and recipient loves it. I Highly recommend!