|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) the widescreen movies are anamorphic
2) Haxen is 104 min, substantially longer than the 77 min version that has shown on premium cable.
3) I compared the Janus versions of two films, Wages of Fear and Seven Samurai, with the Criterion versions I had. I expected them to be identical (figuring that Criterion probably did the work for Janus) but they were considerably different. In both cases, the Janus copies were amazingly superior: much better (and louder)sound, crisper images with fewer defects, much better definition in shadowy areas, and a much more stable image. I never realized how poor the Criterion prints were until I saw the comparison. It's amazing the psychological effect of all that. In both cases, I was strongly tempted to continue watching the whole film with Janus, and found the Criterion copy 'tiring'. The translations also differed, with Janus having fewer errors (e.g. Samurai's "the rice we're eating now" v.s. "the rice we're eating, how"). I cannot wait to watch the rest of these films.
3. I could detect no difference between Anchor Bay's and Janus's Kind Hearts and Coronets.
4. The print of Lady Vanishes is the clearest I've seen. The el cheapo Brentwood print, in their Hitchcock collection, is unwatchable.
5. The one really bad aspect of the collection is that the DVDs are wedged tightly into paper slots.Read more ›
Soviet-Stalinist propaganda of the period. No viewer can truly understand this film without understanding that reality.
In its scope and production value one is reminded of a simlier film done in Facist Italy around this time celebrating the exploits of Ancient Rome - "Scipio Africanus." Both films draw on inspirational leaders of the past to serve up useful propaganda for the present.
In this film Rus is besiged on all sides by enemies. The Mongols had conquiered much of the land by this time. To the West there are the Crusading Teutonic Knights seeking to exercise a Lebenstraum of their own in the 13th Century. Nevsky, a local prince seems the natural leader that the great city of Novgorod needs. Again, we see nationalistic ideas expressed here that were surely beyond the outlook of the time. Few could have had any notion of a greater Rus in such Feudal times. For Eisenstein's propaganda we must have a strong and inspirational Alexander Nevsky. The actor who plays him is certainly impressive looking, but hardly any great thespian!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Though this film was produced in the Soviet Union in 1938 about events in 1242, its story of heroism and courage is still relevant today!Published 21 days ago by Ben Jobe
A classic. Music is a bit faint - turn up the volume.Published 3 months ago by Clifton W. McCullough
I loved the movie. Also, I can sound like I'm saying Russian.Published 4 months ago by Jerry A. Katz
An important history-based film that resulted in a glorious musical score. Parse the accuracy if you want; that's possible for any work of art that depicts history. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Harold Ford
A historical story with lots of anti-German propaganda woven in. We still see this anti-German propaganda rehashed incessantly today, but presented in other media.Published 6 months ago by Jack Legrone
I won't go into what has been said about the film, so I'll just talk about the tape and the restoration. This is an AMAZING redo of the score, and done in GLORIOUS stereo as well! Read morePublished 8 months ago by Franco Ferrer
Historic propaganda film, similar to "Triumph des Willens" by Lena Reiffenstahl, but less sophisticatedPublished 11 months ago by Ralph L Haynes
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Foreign Films
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Military & War
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Classical