5.0 out of 5 stars Repetition is the key to learning
Our whole family enjoys reading this book. With its repetition of the "horrible, terrible..." day, we now can all read those parts together. And when the kids have a bad day, we can refer to the book (and talk about going to Australia). It helps to make light of a bad day.
Published on February 21, 2000 by Cynthia Elizondo

1.0 out of 5 stars bad Spanish translation
I like the story in English, but I was disappointed to find that the Spanish version is not accurate and reads awkward. Too bad.
Published on January 12, 2010 by "i" dolores del rio

5.0 out of 5 stars Repetition is the key to learning, February 21, 2000
Cynthia Elizondo (Petaluma, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alexander Y El Día Terrible, Horrible, Espantoso, Horroroso (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book in English or Spanish!, September 27, 2005
A friend in a college language class (not Spanish I'm afraid) advised me that books familiar to us in English are one of the best ways to increase our vocabulary in our target language. I took her up on it then, and when both I and my niece enrolled in Spanish classes (I at the local community college, with tuition paid for by my employer; she in junior high), I purchased this book for her and some other books for myself.

My family has always loved this Judith Viorst book in English. As well as having borrowing rights to Jerica's version, I own a copy of the original English, and find it downright cathartic to read when I've had a no good, terrible, horrible, very bad day. I have been known to purchase copies for friends after they've had no good,terrible, horrible,very bad days.

The key to Alexander's survival in this story, in which he continuously stews about whether he should move to Australia to avoid such horror, is the knowledge that we all have such days sometimes...and it's OK. The perfect book for a kid (or adult) who's struggling with school, friends, siblings, learning a new language, or just about anything.

Highly recommended, in any language.

5.0 out of 5 stars ME VOY A AUSTRALIA !, June 20, 2001
Qué dice un niño al que TODO le sale mal ? "Me voy a Australia !". Los dibujos - en blanco y negro - están espléndidamente ilustrados, la cara de Alexander es indescriptible por su picardía. Un libro para leer y ver con los hijos a la hora de dormir. Un libro alentador, especial para aquellos niños "difíciles"

1.0 out of 5 stars bad Spanish translation, January 12, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Alexander...., June 22, 2000
By A Customer
Overall, this was an excellent book. It does not differ much from the english version, and it is, as is the english, wonderfully illustrated. It is not perfect, however. I thought that it was well translated into spanish, however, the words are not as easily read and understood as the english version. Also, it was very disappointing to me that the character's names are the traditional, english names, and were not translated into their spanish cognates. That detracts from any feelings of non-ethnicity and partiality that good literature nees.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unengaging, January 7, 2009
Mateo (Mexico City) - See all my reviews
Despite its great title and some good lines, this book remains a bit unengaging. Potential buyers should be aware that it is an extremely thin and relatively flimsy paperback with no color illustrations, only workman-like black and white sketches. Also, while the protagonist's complaints against the day are humorous and sometimes resonate, there is no real theme, much less moral. The book is adequate for light reading, but its unappealing appearance means that it is not for everyone. We were disappointed by this book, whose actual appearance we were not able correctly to envision online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to your library in Spanish, July 25, 2001
By A Customer
This is a great book for those of us who want to raise our children bilingually and equally wonderful for Spanish-speakers. The Spanish is fun--I also love the repetition of "el día terrible, horrible..." The fact that the names are not translated is fine--not all English names have a Spanish translation and vice-versa. I believe it keeps the integrity of the original version and the Alexander character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler approved, April 18, 2014
My kid loves this book. The quality of the book is great and I have no complains at all. Good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Child's book in Spanish, March 29, 2014
Looking forward to giving this to a friend for her grandchildren, all living in South America. It was just what I'd hoped for.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book won't download on my Kindle for PC, March 6, 2014
I was unable to use this book because it would only download to my Iphone ap and not my kkndle pc. My class was very disappointed.

Alexander Y El Día Terrible, Horrible, Espantoso, Horroroso
Alexander Y El Día Terrible, Horrible, Espantoso, Horroroso by Judith Viorst (Paperback - February 6, 2037)
$6.99