5.0 out of 5 stars Going the distance
Getting a signal here in Afghanistan is not easy with the distance that I am from the areas with wireless. No problem any more, I've got the distance and then some.
Published on April 22, 2011 by John S. Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast shpping
The attenna didnt work any better than the ones that came with my router. The Magnet works great to hang it in other places in the basement but my range didnt not get any better.
Published 7 months ago by Robert Sayn

5.0 out of 5 stars Going the distance, April 22, 2011
This review is from: Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna With magnetic base for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, APA05, WUS036NH, WUS036NEH, WUS048NH, WUS036EW, WUS051NH (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Used with Verizon FIOS router, June 24, 2012
This antenna fits on everything I have that uses antennas. I screwed it into my Verizon FIOS router in place of the much smaller antenna that came with the router. Big difference across multiple floors and in areas with lots of steel. I'm watching streaming video on all floors, although I placed an extender/repeater on a computer because I really need fast Internet on that wireless machine.

I definitely recommend this antenna and may get more of them.

Update 11/26/2013:

Shortly after submitting this review, I made changes and still use this antenna. I think the changes will be of interest to many.

1) I realized my Verizon router was old and I must have paid for it a dozen times over. I got Verizon to send me a far better, updated replacement at no cost to me because the old one failed intermittently. If you have an old router from your provider, you can use the same complaint because the tech guy confirmed that was the best reason for a no-cost replacement. The new router is much smaller and came with two tiny antennas. I simply replaced one with this high gain one.

2) I stopped using the extender/repeater as that thing turned out to be a waste of money. At the same time, I finished changing out all our household computers to Macs and all these Macs get the signal more strongly.

3) I may have made a mistake when I agreed to a new 2-yr term with Verizon as part of a promotion to get faster Internet. We are 8 people in my household and I needed faster Internet and it's been helpful, but now I'm in a long-term contract.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well, November 1, 2013
M. Kelley (Fairfax, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This antenna added some gain to my Wi-Fi router as would be expected from a larger antenna. The one I bought comes with a magnetic base and 4 ft cable which really didn't help in my case since I can move my Router 4 feet in any direction without much change in coverage. The 4 ft cable has some line loss which eats up some of the advantage of the higher gain antenna from Alfa. So, I chose to store the magnetic base and cable and instead connect the new 9 dBi antenna directly to my router, in place of the smaller whip antenna that it came with. (Alfa sells the antenna alone without the base and connecting wire for about $5 less). The Alfa antenna's improvement over the factory antenna is not super spectacular; it won't blow your socks off. But it certainly is noticeable. It increased my coverage enough to positively affect my ROKU TV streaming box in our den. Signal strength according to the ROKU setup went from "poor" to "fair" with the new Alfa antenna. And that increase was enough to stop the occasional stuttering and buffering that the ROKU box used to do with the factory issued antenna that came with my router. I wish I knew what that factory antenna's gain was. This Alfa definitely provides higher gain and is 50% longer than the factory antenna. The Alfa antenna is sturdy, well made, and offers the same swivel ability as the original antenna. It is a very good quality product that has done the job for me. If your reception is borderline now, this antenna will definitely improve the situation, and it's a lot cheaper than buying an electrical booster. [ASIN:B0039ORBLK Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna With magnetic base for Alfa - WUS036H, WUS036H1W, APA05, WUS036NH, WUS036NEH, WUS048NH, WUS036EW, WUS051NH]]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what you want for your Verizon FiOS Actiontec M1424WR, September 16, 2013
Like a lot of people, I'm a Verizon FiOS customer with the Actiontec M1424WR modem that has sucky range. I tried a wireless range extender and spent two days trying to get it to work, only to finally discover (yay for Internet searches) that range extenders don't work with the M1424WR modem (and THANKS for that, geniuses at Verizon....)

More searching and the words "high-gain antenna" turned up. Happy news! Instead of an $89 wireless range extender, I only needed a $15 antenna. This thing is fantastic - I now have wireless signal all the way out to the spot in the yard where we like to sit and hang out. Of course, this now ruins the sanctity of an area where we were forced to actually (gasp) talk to each other instead of having our heads buried in devices, but welcome to the brave new world where you send each other IM messages from 3 feet away.

If you've been burdened with the Actiontec M1424WR by Verizon (who clearly hates you, you know that right?) then this is the antenna to get signal to all the places you should have been able to get to with a decent modem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noticeable improvement in signal strength, March 28, 2012
I bought this antenna to use with the computer in my garage. The USB wifi adapter attached to the computer uses an external antenna and the stock configuration was usable but certainly not fast. The Alfa antenna improved the signal strength and speed by a noticeable amount. The RSSI (recieved signal strength indicator) went from -80dBm to -72dBm. Page loads are definitely faster but streaming content still leaves a bit to be desired. The magnetic base is a very cool feature. I was able to "hang" the antenna upside down from one of the steel I-beams spanning the garage ceiling above the computer.

All in all, I'd consider the purchase worth the money spent.

edit 3/29/2012: With some additional positioning experimentation, the signal has now improved to -63dBm. That is a fairly significant increase in signal strength.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent antenna, September 7, 2011
These work great. I now get a max signal from my AP. I'm going to get more for my repeater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Worthwhile!, July 11, 2013
This antenna is completely worthwhile.

I live in an apartment complex that provides free wifi - but I'm so far from the nearest access point it's nearly worthless; plus this is a brick and block building with lots of corners, so, needless to say, reception is spotty.

Before my antenna arrived, I typically had "very poor" or "poor" reception - and often lost signal entirely.

With the antenna I have "excellent" connection strength (or "excellent", depending on which device I'm using).

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me, September 30, 2011
Although this antenna looks slightly different from the posted pictures, it doesn't disappoint for the awesome price. For me it boosted my signal strength about two bars, but that was after finding a sweet spot(one of the advantages of having the wire connection). Be careful with the connecting end of the wire. I had it plugged into my computer and was positioning the antenna, went too far and tugged on the wire. The hard metal part of the wire's end cracked, but still seems to work. Just be careful with it.
The magnet is awesome! I love having it on the magnet mount(impressively strong). Great product for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Booster? Myeh... kinda..., May 24, 2013
For me, I didn't notice much of a difference in comparison to the 5dBi antenna I was using before purchasing this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, May 20, 2012
I live out in the country and am also surrounded by steel & aluminum with 100+ft of a distance from the main internet source. I needed a boost. I already had the Alfa WUS036NEH and wanted to make it stronger. This antenna is perfect. There was no additional software or equipment needed in order to upgrade. It's tall so the magnetic base is a blessing. The cord that comes with it is long enough to find the right spot for the antenna, which I, ultimately, ran out the window and put the antenna outside for an even bigger boost. Rain doesn't affect the antenna or the signal. I immediately got an extra 20% and sometimes up to 50%+ better signal. I would highly recommend this product.

Rate and Discover Movies