Save Big On Open-Box & Preowned: Buy "Alfred Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection [Blu-ray]” from Amazon Warehouse Deals and save 52% off the $79.98 list price. Product is eligible for Amazon's 30-day returns policy and Prime or FREE Shipping. See all Open-Box & Preowned offers from Amazon Warehouse Deals.
Alfred Hitchcock: The Essentials Collection [Blu-ray]
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Top Customer Reviews
I am glad that Universal has made Vertigo available in its far less expensive Essentials Blu-ray collection. In my opinion, Vertigo is not the greatest film ever made, but it is of special interest to me because of its San Francisco locations and overall Bay Area setting. Vertigo, along with Shadow of a Doubt and The Birds may also be of interest to Northern California natives. Anyway, here are my quality ratings of the 5 films contained in the Essentials Collection in order of their appeal:
1. North By Northwest: I have seen nearly every Hitchcock film and this one is my all time favorite. It features outstanding video quality in nearly every scene. The contrast is almost perfect, the picture detail is remarkably-clear and the color is about as good as it gets on Blu-ray. The North By Northwest disk in this collection is exactly the same as the Blu-ray disk from the Warner Bros. 50th Anniversary Edition, with two exceptions: The artwork on the disk is different and the option for selecting a music-only soundtrack is not available on the disk included in the Universal Essentials Collection. If you can do without Warner's 44-page book and the music-only soundtrack, the Universal Essentials Collection is the way to go for this title.
2. Vertigo: This film has very good to excellent color and picture detail.Read more ›
My only concern is what may be some very brief dropouts of the audio- I don't know if this is a disk problem or a malfunction of my player. Otherwise, the audio quality is excellent, with a remarkably fine stereophonic reproduction of Bernard Hermann's magical score, which makes an absolutely critical contribution to this extraordinary motion picture.Read more ›
Presented with a few interesting extras and options, the DVDs will do nicely for many folks -- though not for the angry Blu-ray aficionados who've given the box single-star ratings. This may come as a shock to them, but some people who are just discovering Hitch have ordinary DVD players and 32-inch TVs and are not planning to spend thousands to upgrade their collections or their equipment. If you have a big TV and want Blu-rays, however, this and the Masterpiece boxes are both available in that format, offering excellent video and audio quality and far more supplementary material than their DVD editions.
Following is a brief review of each film in this set. All are in color except for "Psycho," which is black and white.
Rear Window: Jimmy Stewart is a housebound photographer who thinks he's witnessed a neighbor (Raymond Burr) commit a murder. He enlists his girlfriend, played by Grace Kelly, to investigate, and they're both drawn deeper and deeper into hotter and hotter water. A master class in the art of suspense.
Vertigo: Stewart plays a detective haunted by loss, while Kim Novak portrays two women, one of whom is a doppelganger of the other. Is she a twin or a ghost?Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
BOUGHT AS GIFT....LOVED BY ALL, ITS HITCHCOCK.... CANT GO WRONGPublished 10 days ago by scotty dogg
Delivered as promised on time and in good shape. The set is Classic Hitchcock for those who love his renown movies of the late 50's early 60's. Read morePublished 20 days ago by HuggyPC
I note it's not Blue-Ray and had I been more attentive I would have looked for those versions. But otherwise, just fine.Published 20 days ago by Amazon Customer
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|Black and White||
Psycho is in B&W, the rest are in color.
Nov 30, 2015 by B. Albert | See all 2 posts
|Come with Digital copies?||
Nov 30, 2015 by B. Albert | See all 2 posts
|Extras as good as individual releases?||
Yes, they are all the same as the individual releases.
|North by Northwest from Warner Bros.?||
|How is the packaging for this collection?||
It's a digipak with a cardboard slipcover, about 2 inches wide. While I prefer the more compact utility of a 5-disk blu-ray keepcase, this is fine. Here's an unboxing video (not mine) to give you a better idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
|Veronica Cartwright from "The Birds" to appear at Mid-Atlantic Convention||Be the first to reply|
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Classics
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Horror
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Mystery & Suspense
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama