4.0 out of 5 stars Problem corrected, new sets work fine
Published 9 months ago by Buck Naked

2.0 out of 5 stars Was excited about this until I received it. Disappointing.
Published 9 months ago by Kathryn Sherrill

2.0 out of 5 stars Was excited about this until I received it. Disappointing., November 15, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Was so happy to see this was available that I overlooked that it's a dvd-r release. Has no paperwork with it and I can't get disk #4 to play at all. Have tried it in several different players and it will not play. Very disappointed with that! Trying to decide whether to return it or not. I love having the other shows to watch. But I really want what I paid for and that would be ALL THE DISK TO PLAY! The quality of the picture is very good. I just wish I could watch all of them. And some paperwork with titles of each disk would have been nice too. Have all the other seasons because I love this show, but I'm very disappointed with this release. I see other reviewers have complained about disk 4 not working for them also. I think everyone who purchased this in good faith should receive a working disk 4 replacement at no cost!

1.0 out of 5 stars Why no subtitles???, November 20, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
What a shame.... Everytime, when Universal released the next DVD-Set of Alfred Hitchcock presents i ordered the same day of release. But as a not native english Speaker i need the subtitles for better understanding. sometimes a little language problem made the twisted ending impossible to understand. As the DVD-R Discs dont have subtitles anymore i stop buying...

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you, Universal!, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Why, oh, why Universal did you not release these as regular DVD's as you did the first five wonderful sets? Okay, I understand that DVD sales are declining and that those who collect these shows are part of a small, niche audience. But clearly Universal sees some money in front of them, so why not keep with tradition and do it right? Why are these available in some parts of the world as standard DVDs, yet here, we get cheap, made-to-order DVD-Rs? It's too bad Universal didn't just license these out to a wonderful company like, say, Shout to distribute if they had so little faith in its continued popularity.

Like Hitchcock, Universal, you left us in suspense for over a year to get this volume. And now that it's finally on the horizon, you botched the ending.

1.0 out of 5 stars Universal and Amazon executives? Are you listening?, December 19, 2013
Vicki K. (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Someone at Universal needs to step up and earn their paycheck. This set deserves regular commercial release, on regular dvds, with subtitles. If this doesn't happen, Universal--you're seriously doing a number of things wrong. 1) You're creating ill-will among your former customers who purchase the previous 5 seasons at considerable cost. 2) You're short-changing yourselves because this show is one of your BEST properties. A limited dvd-r edition reveals your company to be weak, ineffectual, and lacking confidence in its own product. 3) Without subtitles, you're displaying insensitivity to the deaf, hard-of-hearing, and non-English speaking audience---all of whom will be passing on this set. And finally, 4) You're being short-sighted in the sense that some people out there (former customers included) would definitely buy a larger (possibly blu-ray) box set of 6 or more seasons--much like The Twilight Zone or Dick Van Dyke sets.

In conclusion, Universal--you're a big company, so act like a big company.

As it is now, you're acting like a store afraid to spend any money on inventory. The result of which is--nothing to buy and no profits whatsoever for you. A perfect example is my $30 to $40 you would've received for this Season 6 set of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Not to mention that you're also LOSING MONEY FOR AMAZON!!! (Hell, this s***ty dvd-r set shouldn't even be offered by Amazon in the first place. I mean, where's the quality control? I may as well go buy some burnt dvds on ebay.)

You get the message. Now please release this set NORMALLY--subtitles and all. Thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Will NOT buy!, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Based on the reviews... I will not buy an inferior product. If you are not going to do it right, don't do it at all! It seems as though Universal has gone into the "bootleg quality" DVD business!!! Next they will be shooting videos of the movie screens in theaters to cut costs on their movie releases. Shame on Universal for dissing their customers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Problem corrected, new sets work fine, November 17, 2013
Buck Naked (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Like others, I had bad disc #4. The replacement set worked fine, possibly because the dvds were re-authored without the complicated menu structure (99 titles) used for copy protection. Even if your disc #4 plays fine, I would hit the dvd player info button and see how many titles are on a typical disc. If it indicates 99 titles on the dvd (instead of 9 or 10 titles), you might consider requesting a replacement set to be on the safe side.

Aside from the now-corrected playability problem, I have a couple gripes. Already noted by reviews, unlike the minted dvd sets, this one lacks subtitles and an episode list with short synopsis.
A few episodes have a kind of snowy overlay (ie, D5 Secret Life), more noticeable in dark scenes. Perhaps it's made worse by the nicely sharp transfers, or upconversion thru home HDMI connections. Lowering your dvd player/TV setting to "Movie/Cinema" (instead of "Standard" or "Vivid") will darken the picture slightly and reduce the snowy appearance in those episodes.
8 episodes have a greenish hue instead of being b&w. It's not always noticeable, and you can always turn off your TV's color, but they should have corrected it:
D1: Very moral theft; Contest for Aaron Gold; Outlaw in Town.
D2: Man who found the money
D3: Landlady
D4: Gratitude
D5: Coming Home; Make my death bed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Universal post Comcast acquisition, May 4, 2014
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Unfortunately, it looks like Alfred Hitchcock fans can expect garbage from Comcast now that Universal is 100% all theirs. Too bad its all about profits & not quality or customer satisfaction. This DVD set is certainly a downgrade from the pre-Comcast sets. I understand that DVDs might not be as profitable as in the past, but come on! Its BARE BONES and some of the skeleton is missing!!! No episode descriptions? No subtitles, even though the box says so? Defective disks out of the box? A microscopic disclaimer on the back of the case about this set being good for "Play only" devises and not playing on recorders and PCs? I mean, really, are you kidding? Why do we all have to feel like dinosaurs for still wanting quality, workable Region 1 DVDs for our money? Only my love for the excellent content of Alfred Hitchcock Presents made me order a replacement for this poorly presented set. His show always gets 5 stars with me.

P.S. I got a replacement set pronto from Amazon and all disks work fine. Still no subtitles :(
If they do season 7 let's hope it's better quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, they sell that bad?, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Apparently the first 5 Seasons didn't sell well enough to get a "real" release!
While I'm glad it's from Amazon and not a more expensive MOD service, I
can't see how the previous seasons sold so poorly that that we get this...
I would love if there was some way to verify the image quality before spending
money on this and it also makes me wonder if the series will ever be finished...
This doesn't seem too optimistic for the Hitchcock Hour to ever be released.
Also, these sets were packaged nicely and I don't want a front cover in an Amaray
case that doesn't match.
Hopefully the lack of a release date is Universal reconsidering!

3.0 out of 5 stars What a let down!!! DVD-R MOD?, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
I've been waiting for this season ever since I'd purchased Season 5. Now it's going to be released DVD-R made on demand. Are you kidding? Shameful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hitchcock - very protected Season 6, January 27, 2014
This review is from: Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 (DVD)
Several other reviewers have complained about not being able to play disc 4 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6. My DVD player could not play discs 1, 2, 4, and 5 of my Season 6. Disc 3 played well. When these discs hung up my DVD player, I could not eject them or turn off my DVD player with the power button. I had to unplug my DVD player to turn it off. When I plugged it in and turned it on again, I held down the eject button to eject the disc before it could hang it up again.

I got the same results when I tried to play one of these discs with the DVD player application in my computer. I had to force quit the DVD player program. My computer would not shut down, so I had to do a forced shutdown.

Then I examined the unplayable discs in my computer. Disc 1 contained 1085 files in the Video TS folder. The directory information indicated that the size of the Video TS folder was 748 GB (on a DVD with 8 GB of capacity). Disc 3 (the playable disc) had 17 files in the Video TS folder, and the folder size was 7.4 GB. Disc 3 was not copy protected.

The convoluted copy protection system on the unplayable discs had bogus information about the number of files and the amount of data in these files. This was meant to confuse a DVD copy program designed to break the copy protection and copy the DVD. This type of protection also confused my DVD player and my computer’s DVD player application.

The protection that prevents copying of these discs also prevents playing of these discs in many DVD players. These discs are both copy protected and play protected.

I then used a very good DVD ripper program that could sort out the good video files from the garbage video files and was able to extract a working copy. A copy of disc 1 had 18 files in the Video TS folder and 7.66 GB of video data (very reasonable information). The 1067 garbage video files were gone. I used the same procedure to obtain working copies of discs 2, 4, and 5. I burned new discs from the extracted information, and all of the new discs played well.

I should not have to go to this much trouble to get playable discs from a purchased DVD set. This overpriced set of purchased discs should be playable right out of the package. If I returned this Season 6 set of unplayable discs, Amazon would probably send me another set of unplayable discs. I will keep this original unplayable Season 6 for two reasons: 1.) I like Alfred Hitchcock’s TV shows; 2.) I don’t want to be accused of piracy. If anyone asks, I’ll be happy to demonstrate that the original discs are unplayable, and the extracted copies play very well. If I have to extract playable copies from unplayable originals, I don’t consider that piracy.

The problems encountered by numerous people with MOD (manufactured on demand) DVDs will probably kill that method of marketing. I don’t expect to see Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 7. I would advise against purchasing MOD DVDs unless: 1.) You really, really, really want the shows on those DVDs; 2.) You have a very good computer and DVD ripping program capable of sorting its way through this garbage type of copy protection.

I’ll give the original unplayable Season 6 discs a one star rating and the playable Season 6 backup discs a five star rating.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6
Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 by Arthur Hiller, Norman Lloyd, John Brahm, Herschel Daugherty, Alan Crosland Jr., Ida Lupino, Stuart Rosenberg, Robert Florey, Paul Henreid, Robert Stevens, George Stevens Jr., Don Weis, Alf Kjellin, Gordon Hessler, Alfred Hitchcock (DVD - 2013)
$44.98 $40.48