5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Triumph, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life (Hardcover)
_A Pataphysical Life_ is a magnificent biography, and a much needed one. For such and important and influential artist, and considering the madcap outrageousness of his life, it had been incredibly hard to find reliable information about the life of Alfred Jarry. Brotchie solves this problem once and for all. I have been a huge Jarry fan for several years, and when I saw this on the shelf, I bought it instantly. I also received a copy for Christmas. I will keep them both. There are so many rare photographs, so many newly uncovered letters, so many definitively researched anecdotes, that I have to stop and remind myself how lucky we are to finally have such a wonderful document about one of the most under-appreciated writers of his time. This book does a tremendous service to Jarry's life and his legacy, and with any luck it will greatly increase American interest in the great man's works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long Overdue, But Worth The Wait!, February 27, 2012
This review is from: Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life (Hardcover)
An outstanding biography (the first comprehensive one in English) of this fascinating, beautiful monster, set in the swirl of fin-de-siecle Paris's artistic demimonde, this is required reading for anyone interested in the avant garde. Most famous for his theatrical creation Pere Ubu and the succes de scandale of "Ubu Roi"'s debut performances in 1896, Jarry has proved a huge influence on successive artists and writers -- particularly those of a anarchic bent (Dadaists, Surrealists, Punks...) both through his works and his defiantly unconventional and often uproarius behavior. Compulsively readable throughout, packed with amusing anecdote and newly discovered material, this work is a beautifully mounted and long overdue tribute to Jarry's life and work, and Brotchie -- a Regent of the College de 'Pataphysique (Jarry's own 'science of imaginary solutions'), and co-founder of avant garde London publisher the Atlas Press -- has done a fine job of evoking his often difficult and paradoxical subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life (Hardcover)
Alfred Jarry was always an fascinating person to my boyfriend and I when we were theatre majors and first read Ubu Roi, but our school library had little in the way on information on him. I purchased this as a gift for him after graduation and we both love it. We learned so many more crazy and interesting facts about this already mysterious man. Excellent research, wonderful photographs, and so much more. A great addition to our library.

Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life
Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life by Alastair Brotchie (Hardcover - September 16, 2011)
$37.95 $27.80