5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the adult learner
Published on November 20, 2009 by M. Shell

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for this adult true beginner!
I have wanted to play the piano for many years now, and as a middle-aged adult was a bit shy about taking lessons, so I thought the solution would be to teach myself at least the basics. I surmised that if I could play a little and read music, I would go into lessons with a teacher with some knowledge. Maybe it is just me, but I thought the lessons were much too...
Published 13 months ago by VSS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for the adult learner, November 20, 2009
M. Shell (Smithfield, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alfred's Teach Yourself to Play Piano: Everything You Need to Know to Start Playing Now! (Book & DVD) (Paperback)
I bought this book to see if I could teach myself the basics of playing the piano. It works great for me. I am a visual learner. Yes, I like pictures. The book has drawings of correct finger position and placement. There are basic scales, songs, and lots of skill building exercises. I am very pleased with my purchase. I would buy this book again. It works for the adult who has never played the piano. It teaches you to read music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Wow! Wow!, February 7, 2010
This book with DVD is absolutely fantastic! I never thought I would be able to learn the piano but this set makes it so much easier! The DVD follows everything in the book, page by page, with the benefit of the piano teacher providing a little more detailed information than the book provides. It's been a pleasure going from lesson to lesson always thinking that there's no way I can play what she just played. With a little time, I'm able to complete each lesson successfully and move on to the next one. The lessons are set out perfectly, growing your skills little by little. A+ in my book!! Not one regret with this purchase!!! The cost of this DVD far out weighs the cost of piano lessons. This is a steal!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Is working GREAT for us!!, February 24, 2010
I purchased this kit to help teach us how to play the piano. We just purchased a Casio Privia PX-330 keyboard and wanted to start lessons as soon as possible. I work part time with the Air National Guard and I am a full time student. I don't really have time for lessons so I wanted something I can do myself. This kit is amazing and really does help. I have never played any instrument before and I can't read music. This book teaches you both. Learning to play the piano is a very daunting task but it is much easier with this book. My wife and oldest son are still going to take lessons because they have the time, but I am very satisfied with learning from this book. It does a GREAT job and I would recommend it to everyone trying to learn the piano!!! Would buy again for sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn how to play piano, no matter your previous knowledge, November 24, 2010
A long time ago I used to know how to read music. However, I had forgotten it all. This book takes you along very slowly, and teaches you everything you need from music notations, to musical note values, and, of course, musical notes themselves. It does it one lesson at a time. You simply learn one thing to do for that lesson, and then build on it, one thing at a time. It letters the notes in the beginning, and then slowly, one note at a time, begins to show them without a letter value. In time, you will learn the notes themselves, and will not even be aware of the fact that the letter values are no longer there. This book also plays songs that you know, and thus you want to keep playing more. The DVD that came with this book is very helpful in showing you how to play each piece. The only problem I saw with the DVD was how to skip over the beginning piano piece that plays, and get to the menu. Normally, you would go to a root menu. However, on this DVD, the root menu is that musical piece. Instead, go to the top menu (look for the top menu button on your remote), and it will bypass that three minute long piece. Other than that, it is wonderful. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Easy to learn, February 2, 2011
Joe Seabee (Annapolis, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This book with the DVD does an excellent job of explaining how to read the music as well as play. The learning pace is high tempo so you're not wasteing weeks on playing the same song. The music has helpful reminders at the begining of the pieces to remind you which fingers go where. The music is written in large print so you do not have to squint to read the music. The only thing I wish they would have done differently is to offer up some longer pieces to help build the muscle memory. The tunes are fairly short so it is easy to memorize the order of the keys to be played before you memorize the musical notes. Otherwise an excellent purchase. I would recommend this over paying large sums of money for piano lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trying to relearn piano, January 1, 2011
My son received a electronic piano for christmas so I thought I would buy this to try to relearn keyboard music. I hope to help him if he needs some down the road. I haven't played for over 30 years and with the help of this dvd I have made great progress after my first 2 hour session. I was able to already play a couple simple songs and look foward to continuing through the rest of book and dvd. I highly recommend this if you are a person who can learn through reading and practicing on your own. I put the dvd on and follow through the lessons in the book. The dvd is a great compliment to the book and would find it hard to do without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book & DVD, December 14, 2010
Lynx (Greenwood, IN) - See all my reviews
This is a good book/DVD package! The last time I played piano was about 25 years ago & I only took lessons for less than 6 months, so my knowledge is pretty minimal. The book is easy enough to follow & has a nice progression through the process of learning the piano.

I initially started through the book, just to see how it was & I made it through the first ten or so lessons & I thought I understood what was written. Then I put in the DVD & realized I was missing a lot, by my ignorance of music. The DVD puts the polishing touch on the book & really explains (the why) of what is written!

The only negative is the menu of the DVD is not the most user friendly of quickly finding & referencing to a location in the book. Other than that one quirk, I am really enjoying this package.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book for beginners!, August 16, 2005
This book is great for people just learning to play piano. I have a keyboard at home that I practice on. It takes you step-by-step through each phase/step, and one lesson builds on the next. I m learning a lot with this book- highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great All Around Product, April 11, 2011
Got this product for my daughters who like the piano/keyboard but are inexperienced. Product arrived as stated without hassle or delay,which is 2 1/2 stars already. We opened the product and established some ground rules like; Following the recommended instructions, committing to at least 1 hour a day and 5 days a week for the first 3 weeks. In 1 1/2 weeks they were playing the one handed songs perfectly and progressed from there. Now they both can play a few songs (2 handed) and have even began to experiment with creating their own songs, they are still on the schedule but needless to say they play a lot longer than the agreed time and love it. The instructions are clear and easy to understand, and if you follow along with the DVD and do not skip lessons you will have no problem learning to play

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Works, February 17, 2011
This book really works!! I have no background of reading music or playing any instrument, but within a couple of hours and the 1st few pages of this book i was playing my 1st song. I purchased the book because I have always wanted to play the piano just as a hobby. This book is perfect for that!!

$29.95 $21.05
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies