4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my college text

Published 9 months ago by jondo

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my college text, April 21, 2010
choose happiness (Bel Air, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
I have not worked all the way through this book with my child yet. But after flipping through it to check out concepts that my college Algebra text flubbed, I can tell you this book does a pretty good job of explaining things like multiplying matrices. I bought this book after seeing it was one recommended by Prof. Sellers of PSU, who did the new Algebra I course for The Teaching Company Great Courses series. We're using the two together and think it's a good combo.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
Been using this textbook for a few months now to review algebra from the perspective of an educated professional. The lessons are pretty good but there is one big problem; only a small sample of answers are provided for the practice problems and no answers are provided for the chapter tests. Learning math requires working practice problems and I do not understand how one is supposed to learn if he/she cannot check the answers to practice problems and assessments. Answers are provided for the chapter review bt in my experience this is not enough.

I had considered giving this book 2 stars but I haven't been able to find a textbook that does a better job so I'm giving it 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars great material, December 16, 2012
I need it for my son replacement bool of algebra, but I really found this book very good explain, even contains short videos that can be found in the book web side, this short videos are very helpful to understand better the lesson from each day

4.0 out of 5 stars fine, regular math book, August 31, 2011
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
This is good in that it seems easy to follow, and it has lots of online lessons for more help. It doesnot seem too difficult, we ended up using Life of Fred though, since my daughter knows most of this and she can move quicker thru the other series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Algebra I, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
We use this text in homeschooling our son. The organization, explanations and examples are all good. However, many, if not most textbooks purchased new these days come with a cd with an e-text and additional help/features. Unfortunately, we were little disappointed to find this text did not.

1.0 out of 5 stars One star reflects the sadly watered-down California curriculum and the bizarre dumbed down math curriculum in particular., August 3, 2014
B&H (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
The single star reflects that poor watered down curriculum that California has accepted. If you accept the curriculum for what it is, then the book fits its intended niche.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reading, Writing and . . . . . Arithmetic OOOPS!, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
Somehow did not get the letter which Math book to order so we started our school year behind the starting line. Received the order within a couple of days which was awesome! Book in great condition just as stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 4, 2014
It was perfect just what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 26, 2014
nice book thank you very much

3.0 out of 5 stars Algebra 1, August 13, 2010
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) (Hardcover)
I purchased the Algerbra 1 book and did not realize that each state had a specific state edition. When I received the book, it was the correct one, but at the top of the book it specified that it was for the state of Indiana. I reside in California.

The sellers did place an insert stating that "it is exactly identical to the national edition. It has every page and every work in exactly the same place! All pages in state and national editions are indentically numbered. State editionas have a few extra pages numbered INI-IN20 or so. There are a seperate index to the state competence test. These are in addition to the normal pages.

I hope this will be what my son needs for his class. I guess I am just nervous since this is the first time that I am purchasing my son's text book through Amazon.

If this works out, I will be purchasing all my books through Amazon.

Thanks for asking for me to review this.

Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics)
Algebra 1 (Prentice Hall Mathematics) by Charles (Hardcover - January 1, 2004)
$99.96