5.0 out of 5 stars Review Algebra 1, Mary Dolciani, et al (1980)
Published on November 29, 2001 by Mrs. Dolores B. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars not suited to struggling learner
This book is not suited to the struggling math student. It is too theoretical, with not enough repeated practice. Try Key to Algebra 1-10 for a very structured, step-by-step process to learn algebra.
Published 21 months ago by ginnie

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Algebra 1, Mary Dolciani, et al (1980), November 29, 2001
Although this text is 20 years old, I still use it to teach High School Algebra I. I have not found a text -before or since- that explains every new topic as well. Some of my students have grave learning disabilities. This text works just as well with them by moving slowly through the text. My students do well in College Algebra with little or no problem. I would love to see a Geometry text written as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars How things change, June 29, 2009
This review is from: Algebra 1 (Hardcover)
I got this book for one reason... I needed to introduce formal proof in an Algebra 1 course in a meaningful way, and I needed to find a text book that had good explanations for the students as well as good exercises for them to do. I have a library of perhaps 15 different Algebra 1 textbooks published over the past 30 years and not one of them has more than a passing reference to formal proof.

This text book has, by comparison, a reasonably thorough introduction to formal proof, and enough exercises so that I can have students practice what they need to practice and learn what they need to learn. It's written at a level that my students will be able to learn from.

It's also interesting to see how much material in that book no longer appears in Algebra 1 textbooks these days: Linear programming, systems of equations in three variables, trigonometry and vectors, and a unit on statistics and probability.

It also has a section at the back designed to help students prepare for college entrance exams. Although some of the material is dated, what's nice is that there is a comprehensive list of Algebra 1 topics cross referenced to the book. If nothing else, it's a great way to review main topics of Algebra 1 and easily find topics you may need more work on.

3.0 out of 5 stars not suited to struggling learner, October 5, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars algebra 1 by dolciani, July 10, 2000
"tigerlily302" (Kalamazoo, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
Well, this book was pretty good (as algebra books go). I was a student who used it. It explains the concepts you need to know well, but sometimes you get lost on the wording. or at least I did, and it cost me an answer or two. But considering the whole book, thats not bad. Compared to those Chicago Math Books, it's way better, those i get lost about every other sentance. So anyways, i give it 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!!, September 13, 2008
This book seller was quick to respond to questions. The book was in great condition. I am a very happy customer!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong book, January 9, 2013
This review is from: Algebra (Hardcover)
For some weird reason, instead of Algebra by P. M. Cohn (a very good graduate text on abstract algebra) I get some Middle school book on algebra by Dolciani, Wooton, and Beckenbach... Mistery....

Algebra 1