5.0 out of 5 stars Best algebra guide on the market
Published on May 9, 2010 by sloan

2.0 out of 5 stars Um there's another book you need to get?
Sorry it wasn't very clear that there was another book that accompanies this one. Lame on their part for not making this blatantly clear.
Published 2 months ago by Steve

5.0 out of 5 stars Best algebra guide on the market, May 9, 2010
This review is from: Algebra Survival Guide Workbook: Thousands of Problems To Sharpen Skills and Enhance Understanding (Paperback)
Trust me when I say this the best Alegbra guide on the market. I know because I tried them all(no joke.) As an adult, who never had Algebra in high school, I was not prepared for it in college. And there are few college courses that go all the way back to the beginning, mine expected that you already had basic algebra fundamentals. The guide along with the workbook, actually replaced my textbook. The textbook was simply put, confusing, and unrelatable. The guide, and workbook were lifesavers for me. The clear, precise and easy to understand examples clarified much of what confused me. And associating all of the properties and laws to analogies worked liked a charm. In fact, I soon learned I knew th properties and laws better than my classmates and began using the analogies to explain them so they to could remember all the little tricks this guide taught me. My teenage son, who has struggled with Algebra, now has his own copies and wonders why his teachers have never thought to make it so easy to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend the book and workbook, August 27, 2007
T. Malnar (Overland Park, KS) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Algebra Survival guide and the workbook for my sons who would be taking Algebra in 8th grade. They easily completed the entire book over the summer. The survival guide is easy to understand. The Emergency Fact sheet will be a great reference. They will sail through Algebra this year.
I highly recommend these books as a prelude to classroom Algebra for all students.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Start!, July 7, 2004
As in my review of the Algebra Survival Book itself, I have nothing but praise for this workbook and for the simplicity and clarity these books offer jointly.
I would recommend this as a MUST have if you seriously want to begin understanding the fundamentals of Algebra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Algebra Survival Guide, August 1, 2005
Absolutely the best book we have found in working with students preparing for Algbra. Great foundational skills organized in a useful way with good explanations that are easy to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars great companion for the Guide, November 20, 2007
I wrote a review of The Algebra Survival Guide, and just want to say here that this should definitely go in your cart along with it. It has lots of problems to work that match up to the Guide, plus a few new concepts to add on to the lessons learned in the Guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever, February 6, 2010
I'll bet a lot of mothers have hugged this author.

I'm a homeschooler with one boy in college and another in public high school. I'm also math challenged so teaching algebra was a nightmare and I felt that my very bright older boys suffered because of it (though they are now both near the top of their classes). I was fine with teaching basic math skills as I know exactly where math falls apart for most kids who learn to hate it. Algebra was an entirely different story. I simply didn't get it, and consequently, neither did my boys. What they did get was that algebra was a horrible subject that should be hated. This feeling was not on the list of things I wanted my sons to inherit from me.

I was determined that it would be better for my younger two and I went in search of a user friendly book that would break it down to manageable steps so that I could teach it effectively and they could master it comfortably.

Enter Algebra Survival Handbook and Workbook. Combined, these two are an unbeatable teaching tool. My third born (who dislikes math intensely) has grown confident enough to teach himself with only occasional help from me. When I do have to step in, I'm able to quickly scan the previous pages and explain what he's missing without feeling like I'm all thumbs. I am learning as much as he is.

Each lesson carefully builds on the concepts you learned previously, just a few problems at a time, with only one or two steps added. His "ohh this is so easy--watch this--" approach builds concepts in the student. He also admits when something is confusing and then goes on to make sure that the student doesn't stay that way.

If you are a homeschooler, you should add this tool to your arsenal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget the Algebra Survival Guide: a Conversational Guide for the Thoroughly Befuddled, October 8, 2005
This workbook, along with the Algebra Survival Guide, are great learning tools for kids and parents alike. My son was looking for a book to teach himself algebra & this set did the trick. Yeah, he one of those wierd kids who likes math.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, December 27, 2008
G. Laws (North Carolina United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a good tool to help students or anyone who may be struggling with algebra. It begins with the basic to the complex and should clear some confusing content normally associated with learning algebra. I recommend you buy the workbook to help practice what you learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, March 22, 2009
It made algebra easy to understand and funny. My daughter loves it and found it engaging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Um there's another book you need to get?, May 13, 2014