5.0 out of 5 stars A surprizing winner ! ! !
Published on June 14, 2005 by Eddie Landsberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the HBO series
Published on October 29, 2004 by Glynn Clapsaddle

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprizing winner ! ! !, June 14, 2005
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
First of all, a brief disclaimer... if you're a fan of the series... you'll probably be disappointed. Gags and storyline take the place of Ali G's unique trademark... interviewing the top talking heads of our generation and getting them to say the most ridiculous things imaginable (My first dose of him was he was interviewing an expert on terrorism and managed to get him to complate how the government could prepare for terrorists crashing a train into the White House...) His victims think they're interviewing a new type of young journalist in touch with the young generation... the ongoing question being is are they playing along, or really victims of the joke. That said...

As stupid as the concept would seem, this movie is hillarious to the point of brilliance... and by hillarious I mean that even after multiple watchings its still funny. Beyond the low ANIMAL HOUSE/Howard Stern type humor (which IS funny in itself ) the film is conceptually held together by simply presenting Peter Seller's BEING THERE charactor as a wannabe b-boy - - In doing so, the film is able to have MTV Jackass type humor with a coherent story to boot... the film never ceases to be hllarious. Contrary to the misconception of some that Ali G is parodying hip hop culture, the film sets asides all doubts of who is charactor really is.... a white boy who lives with his mum, and who's entire world is an MTV music video fantasy. Cohen's parody sheds ridiculous light on the phenomena of (often) spoiled and bratty suburban white kids pretending to be black and from the hood... If you've ever wittnessed the strange phenomena of 14 year old suburban mallrats who are just about as gangsta as teflon and Lawrence Welk and unlike a real "gangsta" could easily be tamed with a good dose of ridlin and a nice slap across the face (causing their oversized boxer shorts to fall down) this film will crack you up. - - The only worse than this are the over-aged30/lives with mum breakdancing old school hip hop fan/wannabe's of which Ali G's is also "representin'" - - I wouldn't call the film better than Austin Powers or Wayne`s World, but the parody and satire are way up there... This is definitely a surprize winner !

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't listen to the reviews., November 5, 2004
Antonio Giusto (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
Alot of people were sort of let down with this film. I almost didn't watch this film due to some bad reviews I had read. If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that most film reviewers don't know what they're talking about. If movie reviewers know so much why don't they make their own films? Be your own judge when it comes to movies. I've seen alot of great films get thrown in the crapper because of bad reviews.
Not watching this film would have been a big mistake on my part. Ali G Indahouse was full of laughs from the opening scene. Sure it's not the most intelligent film but it sure as hell ranks up there with the best comedy flicks of the past 10 years. I don't think I've seen a film that made me laugh this hard in a long time. I'm sure the people who hated this film loved the lame American Pie trilogy or the completley unfunny and unorigional Old School.
Even the deleted scenes in this film are hilarious. There's one deleted scene that made me cry laughing. It was a parody of west side story involving a booger fight.
Take it from me (a comedy writer), Ali G Indahouse is a funny movie worth watching. If you don't get at least one or two good laughs out of this film e-mail me and tell me what a moron I am.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the Show but Funny on it's own., December 23, 2005
M. Smith (West Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
I love the show as it is funny to see Sacha ask silly questions while looking serious and the people being interviewed being completely lost or thinking he is out of his mind.

Those expressions on the show are really what makes it so funny...if anyone seen the short Andy Rooney clip then you would know what I mean.

Many people on these reviews have noted that they love the show but they hate the movie. Too many people wanted the same thing in the movie as in the show ala the MTV Jackass show and the movie being the same.

However I think they took a risk and just made a movie from the view of Ali G not Sacha...I think the gamble paid off.

Sure the humor is low brow and all but if you went into the movie thinking it would be otherwise, maybe you were not being too smart.

I thought the movie was very funny and kept me laughing many times and I have watched it numerous times.

The ONLY thing that irked me was they only gave Sacha's Borat character a 2-3 second cameo and he is what I find the funniest on the show.

I think it would have been very funny to see the borat character and ali g character interact some more with Borat trying to hug or do something to ali g.

But all in all this is a very funny movie...unless you are a prude or think you are going to get a longer version of the show.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stick with the HBO series, October 29, 2004
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
Ali G is one of the great characters created by Sacha Baron Cohen that is the star of HBO's series, Da Ali G Show. The series on HBO is spectacular, as Cohen feeds on the Andy Kaufman style of comedy, walking the line between comedy and downright irritation. Discussing intellectual subjects with experts, Cohen plays Ali G as an ignorant and poorly spoken talk show host, always putting his guests in awkward spots of conversation. It's brilliant and hilarious to watch, I have not missed an episode yet.

That said, this movie is a travesty, and should be skipped by anyone who truly appreciates Cohen's gift. His style of comedy is best presented in a live situation with off-the-cuff comments and queries. In this movie, the humor is almost too forced, it lacks spontenaity and more often than not falls into cliched humor and tired jokes. The plot is not only weak but super predictable. I do give this two stars instead of one, as there are 3 or 4 jokes that actually did make me laugh. However, as a whole, this movie was a serious waste of time and an insult to the true genius of Cohen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Available in the USAiii!, October 25, 2004
Ryan Stoker (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
Great movie and finally available here. This movie came out years ago in the UK. Why does it take so long for some movies to come here? If you like Ali G at all watch this movie, it's a feature length hollywood style film, very well done, and looks like it had a good budget. Now they just need to release all of his best of Ali G shows from Britain. GET THIS MOVIE!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Shaven Haven", August 27, 2006
L Gontzes (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
An excellent comedy, Ali G Indahouse, brings to the screen the story of a down-on-his-luck young man who is introduced into the world of politics in the form of an elected Member of Parliament in order to be used as bait to bring down the British Prime Minister. What complicates things is that he does a pretty good job...

Sacha Baron Cohen and the rest of the cast have truly outdone themselves with their performances, which are outstanding to say the least! All the actors, without exceptions, give it their 100% and it really shows (the chemistry is AMAZING)! Very well written and very well presented, it allows for a highly entertaining movie that can be watched over and over again!

The setting, the plot, the dialogues, the humor, and the music are all wonderful!

In short, Ali G Indahouse is a movie definitely worth watching and one to seriously consider adding to your movie collection (if you haven't done so already)!

2.0 out of 5 stars Worth a watch if you like Ali G, but not much else, September 27, 2004
Chris 'raging bill' Burton (either Kent or Manchester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Ali G is, in my opinion, one of the best icons of British comedy to come out in the past 10 years. Taking the Mickey out of wannabe ghetto kids, white guys who pretend to be black and ignorant meatheaded idiots all at once whilst winding people up who think his politically incorrect and often stupid comments are serious, he has often reduced me to a fit of laughter on the living room floor. However, this full length film severely misses the mark.

First off, the humour lacks any subtlty. We didn't need it spelt out that he wasn't really a gangster. We didn't need it spelt out that he wasn't well-endowed and that he didn't really get loads of girls. We didn't need to know that he lived with his mum. We knew he was stupid. Having it all spelt out ruins the image.

Secondly, due to the lack of real life situations, there is no opportunity for Sacha Baron Cohen to utilise his quick wit and annoy people. Every joke is pre-planned for the film and rather than being an extension of the hilarious TV show, the film simply takes his character and puts it into a ridiculously unrealistic situation that, although may raise a smile, certainly won't make you laugh out loud.

If this is all you've seen of Ali G then do yourself a favour and find some episodes of The 11 O'Clock Show or Da Ali G Show (the latter can be found on his Ali G Aiiiiii video). This film could be worth a watch if you like Ali G, but be warned: the quick wit and comedy genius is replaced with purile humour not much better than The Bloodhound Gang. And that's saying something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goofy as heck but I loved it, December 20, 2005
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
I have no idea why this movie just cracks me up, but it does. Whenever I'm bummed out for no good reason, I turn it on and watching him dance like a dork in that tiny car cracks me up. He's the biggest goof but thinks he's wicked cool.

Take it for the fluff entertainment it is and if you like this sort of thing (I normally don't), then enjoy it. If not, pass it by and get something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept Me Watching, January 11, 2005
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
I've never seen the show once, i've just seen clips and commercials and have never been intrested in Ali G but after see'n this movie, I'm looking to buy this and the first season Dvd set. I have friends that are like me and would find this movie funny. I guess he was hitting a younger generation with this one,because i got a couple of chuckles along with outrageous laughs. If your 18-23 I recommend this movie because it connects with us 80's Babies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Booyakasha!!!, January 20, 2005
This review is from: Ali G Indahouse - The Movie (DVD)
I'm shocked that so many people think this movie sucks. Sure it lacks a good plot, but what were people expecting? Some kind complicated and intelligent plot? Anybody who didn't laugh during the debate scene is a bell end.

Pretty much if Malibu's Most Wanted was actually funny and British, it would be Ali G Indahouse. At least rent it and make your own decision.

Ali G Indahouse - The Movie
Ali G Indahouse - The Movie by Mark Mylod (DVD - 2004)
$12.98 $7.34