Showing 1-10 of 70 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In contrast to many memoirs I've read, this one tends to stray on the lighter side. Even though this book is definitely not all laughs--Wentworth mentions scary stories of her encounter with a gang while pursuing acting in L.A., how her friend was shot during the same encounter, and her own battles with depression--most of the stories tend to be more optimistic.

The book is filled with many anecdotes from Ali's life--her upbringing among the Washington D.C. elite (her mom was social secretary under Reagan), her messy trip to Spain as an adolescent, the numerous jerks she dated (including a very sketchy French director), her attempts to break into acting (she used to be in the same comedy troupe with Will Ferell and Lisa Kudrow before they became stars, while her own acting luck stalled), her relationship with her family, and tidbits about marrying George Stephanopoulos, among other stories. And if you've never heard of her well-connected mother (the above mentioned ex-social secretary under Reagan) with a talent for disbursing her life's wisdom through witty punch lines, allow the author to introduce her to you.

The writing can be described like a stream of consciousness--the author is honest and unembarrassed about sharing some pretty sensitive stories about her life. This lack of inhibition creates a pretty interesting read. Humor is the main component of this book, and with few exceptions, is entirely present throughout the book. Overall, an entertaining memoir. Especially if you like memoirs by female comedians.
VINE VOICEon January 11, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I still do not exactly know who she is, for I do not recall seeing her in any capacity. Ali in Wonderland: And Other Tall Tales is a funny and entertaining read. She is truly a star in her world, comes accross as a very amusing human being. She always has something witty and irresponsibly charming to say about people and situations. From what I was able to surmised she has been around the stars and knows their quirks. Her personality can only be described as full of sunshine for she never lets anything tamper with her sense of humor. She is forcefully direct at times, sexually alert most of the times and has no qualms about throwing sentences to prove it. From beginning to end I could not help but to continue reading, for even though I had never heard of her, the cover photo and the title of the book attracted me enough to want to read it. Once again amazon was kind enough to allow me this privilege and for that I am grateful.
This lady is a hands full, nobody's fool and with such a zest for life that many of us, including myself on the list, could learn a thing or two about enjoying who we are. She certainly seems to love herself enough and the times she describes family all one can do is chuckle and sometimes even laugh out loud. Unexpected little book with a lot of heart and well worth the price of admission. Besides, I do find her very attractive and not a dumb blonde (like so many crude jokes about blondes lacking depth) at all. On the contrary, this one is capable to narrate parts of her life and do it in such a way that one has to admire her in the end. Politicians, High Society, Hollywood Luminaries, Captains of Enterprise, you name it. She has been around and to hear her tell the story is more than half of the fun. I have come to the conclusion that I admire books like this. Happy, go lucky, free spirit, wit and a perception of things around her that invites one to want to read the book till the final page.
She is not your average person, female or male, that is for sure. I finally could not resist my curiosity and googled her name and lo and behold, she is up there in the higher levels of our society, always cheerful it appears. Quite an interesting person but better grab a large cup of tea and couple of butter cookies and get ready to be immersed on this delightful person's life. 4 Stars plus.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I read this book to see if it would be as predictable as so many other "all about me" "smacktor" autobiographies tend to be.

Guess what? It is. Although, it does differ from most of the other annoyingly cloying books written by other comedic performers in that Wentworth is educated, well-bred, and her story is actually interesting without being completely narcissistic.

My biggest issue with these self-penned books of today's "celebutards" is that I long for just ONE chapter (please, God) that has some sort of substance and where every paragraph isn't a "set up - set up - PUNCHLINE." These actors really enjoy the sound of their own words SO much that it gets exhausting having to glean any sort of authenticity out of their stories. Thankfully, there are at least two sections of this book where Wentworth relinquishes her need to be funny/punny and we get a glimpse of someone quite nice, fragile, and damaged, just like the rest of us who DON'T have a socialite mother or famous husband.

Breezy book. Interesting anecdotes. Ali Wentworth is a nice chick and never stoops to impress/exhaust her audience the way "authors" such as Chelsea Handler and Kathy Griffin continue to do in their (puzzling) "best selling" books. These other women are tacky and mean and it was refreshing to read a book by someone who doesn't have to belittle the other people in her life to make herself look better.

I don't think that Ali Wentworth would ever lower herself to "mean girl" status.

Her mother would kill her if she did.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon December 22, 2011
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ali Wentworth is always entertaining on tv, and her writing is not disappointing. Growing up the daughter of Muffie, the perfect society mother and social secretary at the White House, and a houseful of political journalists, she writes about everyday absurdities to the totally off the wall.....delivering a gift to Donald Rumsfelt, all with great banter, laughs and honesty. Whether you have heard of Ali before or not, you will find lots to laugh about here. Sure, some may not appreciate the fart and pee humor, but that's all part of the charm of Ali. I found this greatly enjoyable and look forward to the stories sure to follow as her daughters grow up.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ali in Wonderland is a refreshing vat of humor. Ali Wentworth's unconventional memoir filled with witty insights had me cracking up at her self-deprecating tales. She is not shy with the details whether telling about child birth (There's No Uterus Like My Uterus) or childhood illness (I Don't Get Vacation). I couldn't stop smiling as I read this, and remembered well some of my own awkward teen moments (Happy and Preppy and Bursting with Love). Ali takes the mundane and turns it into amusement.
If you want to while away the evening reading a book with lots of laughs, you're in for a treat.
on January 4, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If a book is judged by how fast you read it, then this book was one that I chugged. I couldn't put it down. I wasn't familiar with Ali Wentworth before reading her book, but I thought her stories were hilarious. Plus I picked up a great suggestion for hostess gifts, courtesy of the author's mother.

The stories ranged from childhood to present, and it's hard to say which were funnier. I especially like California and Dax, but really all the stories are good. I loved her honesty and ability to make fun of her life. Also, her husband's a fox. I think this book will be a great success, following in the footsteps of Nora Ephron.
VINE VOICEon May 21, 2012
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ali Wentworth is hilarious. I can not help but to like her. Her stories were hilarious. I was not aware of her upbringing until I read her book. I would laugh out loud when I saw her on TV. This book made me also laugh out loud. This book would be great for someone who is looking for a light read.
on June 23, 2012
One of the funniest books I have ever read, so I bought this one for my daughter-in-law who needed to be cheered up. I was a little disappointed that there was a dirt mark on the jacket that would not come off and it was supposed to be new.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first question when I got this book to review was: "Who the Heck is Ali Wentworth?" I'd never heard of her, but she had testimonials from several famous people who I had definitely heard of including Jerry Seinfeld on the book's front cover. Based on that testimonial I suspected that Ali must be a stand-up comic I'd never heard of.
I soon learned why a little known comic, even a beautiful blonde one, had a major book coming on the market. Ali is also Mrs. George Stephanopoulos, Bill Clinton's former spin-doctor who is now a liberal-leaning commentator for ABC. Now at least part of the mystery of who Ali was had been solved. George has plenty of interesting friends that would also know his wife.
That said, this is definitely a "chick book." It's well written with lots of funny antidotes on almost every page. But like the current television commercial for Progresso Soup, women will appreciate that humor much more than men--whose eyes may glaze over as they turn off their mind to the message of what they are reading.
By far, the best parts of the book dealt with Ali's romance with George, which was interesting enough to appeal to both men and women. For the rest of the book, the collection of stories follows the request of the Progress Soup woman whose jeans finally fit and after getting no feeling of womanly empathy from the man who answers her phone calls, she asks if there is a woman there she could speak to.
Women will love this book. It's well written, moves right along, is full of clever chick humor and deals with much of the minutiae and feelings that women love to discuss until the cows come home or since this book is written for women, until the kids come home.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I must confess that I did not know who Ali Wentworth was when I picked ALI IN WONDERLAND AND OTHER TALL TALES to read and review. It was the cute cover that first caught my eye. A quick internet search soon revealed the identity of the gorgeous blonde jumping into a coffee cup.

Once I learned that Ali Wentworth was a comedian, the title took on meaning and promise. I was not disappointed. I smiled through the whole book, and often found myself laughing. It is a charming read, a book I would recommend taking to the airport to read while waiting for a flight.

Ali Wentworth's life was never "typical," if indeed there is such a thing as a typical life. Much of her early life was spent mixing with the elite of Washington, DC. Her mother, Muffie Cabot, was the White House Social Secretary for President Ronald Reagan.

There is a bit of sadness mixed in with the humor. A happy, meaningful life seems always to be just out of reach for Ali, that is, until she meets and marries George Stephanopoulos.

Like most Americans who watch network news, George Stephanopoulos is no stranger to me. In fact, I decided to read this book in part because I was curious about what sort of woman George Stephanopoulos would marry. Now I am curious as to what husband George and their two girls think of the book.

It is refreshing to read a book by a Washington, DC insider that is not a tell-all exposé of scandals known and unknown. So, get a cup of coffee, sit down and enjoy a good read.