5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album
Published on August 29, 2001 by Melkor

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Nothing Safe instead!
Published on February 18, 2003 by yellow_bedwetter

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Nothing Safe instead!, February 18, 2003
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This might sound like a pretty ignorant review, because I'm going against all Amazon.com review protocol and reviewing a record I don't own, have never even heard, and probably never will, either. Sounds stupid, right? Wrong. While I've never listened to this album, I DO happen to be a gigantic Alice in Chains fan, owning every one of their albums EXCEPT this one, and I feel strongly opposed to this release. If I really wanted to, I could arrange a playlist of the songs in order on this Greatest Hits album, and burn it for myself. But that's just a waste. I already own Nothing Safe: The Best of the Box, and let me tell you, that is a collection far superior to this one. Here's why.
First of all, Nothing Safe has fifteen songs, including three or four rarities (two never previously released). Greatest Hits just has ten songs.
Secondly, Nothing Safe is better arranged and offers a wider range of songs than Greatest Hits. With the prior, you get the idea that Jerry Cantrell himself handpicked the songs and order they'd be arranged in, whereas with the former, it's simply a list of their ten most popular songs, in chronological order. Boring.
Finally, it's a waste of money to pay relatively the same price for an inferior product. Why not use your money on an album that has the exact same songs (it does...every single one of these is on Nothing Safe), PLUS five extra tracks? You'd be stupid not to, that's why.
Don't get me wrong. I love Alice in Chains! That's exactly why I'm writing this review. If you are a fan of the band, you probably have no need for this cd, but if you're new, do yourself a favor and buy Nothing Safe instead, if you're that desperate. If you're looking to further discover the band's material, I'd most strongly recommend Jar of Flies, Dirt, and their outstanding Unplugged LP. This band simply cannot be redeemed by a lame 'greatest hits' release such as this. Owe up and pay Lane, Jerry, Sean, Mike, and, uh, the other Mike their due respects and buy their other albums instead. You'll be so glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this album, August 29, 2001
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Why do I say this? Because Alice in chains never wrote a bad song. Instead of getting the "Greatest Hits CD" (which is the third "Greatest Hits" this band has come out with: "Music Bank" and "Nothing Safe" preceding it); go out and get "Dirt", "Jar of Flies/SAP", "Alice in Chains (Tripod)", and "Unplugged" instead. That's only four discs, and you'll get all the music that you're going to miss on this ten track CD.
This is obviously some sort of contractual obligation album. Since the band has no new material, they have to put out yet another Greatest Hits. Actually, if you want a really good Alice CD, which is virtually a greatest hits, just buy the "Unplugged" album. I hate to support Mtv, but it really is their best album. Honestly though, rather than buy this Greatest Hits, it'd be worth it to pick up "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies" instead. Those two CD's will give you six of these ten tracks. Also, check out Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff, it's really good!

4.0 out of 5 stars What the hell...., September 1, 2001
"dekaliber" (Cornell University) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
It saddens me that record companies are willing to resort to this kind of marketing. The only difference between this album and "Nothing Safe" released 2 years ago is the name and the fact that it has 5 fewer songs. Nominally, this will be Alice's "Greatest Hits" album though really Nothing Safe has done the job quite well. There is no need for this.
The only reason I'd buy this album is because I love Alice In Chains and I seek to have everything they've made. There's no value in this besides another CD that says "Alice In Chains" on my rack. Instead of resorting to this nonsense, Columbia would have done much better by either releasing a CD of "authorized" bootlegs of live recordings and rare tracks, or released a video of live Alice material. This compilation doesn't come close to filling a CD, and is a stark reminder that maybe Columbia and not Alice is now running the show.

3.0 out of 5 stars I have to tell you this, March 17, 2006
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
ok this was my first album from alice in chains. i liked it then but never understood the 10 song thing. most albums have 12-15.

After a while my friend let me borrow nothing safe by alice in chains and i learned that well... it has all of the songs that are on the greatest album and the rest of the hits. if you are a fan like i am then you will know this and i have tripod so i can listen to heaven beside you. just so you know

all of the songs are good as they should be. it has the songs of

Man in the Box

I Stay Away

Grind

Heaven Beside You

Again

See thats it nothing safe has

Again

Get Born Again

Iron Gland

What the Hell Have I

Down in a Hole

See what i mean so buy nothing safe

Hope this helps...

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Class collection, but just lacking a couple of songs..., October 9, 2005
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Ok everyone, all I can tell you is that every song on this album is fantastic - there's not one song that doesn't deserve to be on here. My only problem with this CD, like just about everyone else, is that it's missing many of AIC's other great hits, such as "Sea of Sorrow," "Get Born Again," "Fear the Voices," and "What the Hell have I?" However, another reviewer mentioned that "Nothing Safe," isn't perfect either, but I think it's better than this CD; plainly because it has more material on it. I think they could've put more studio recordings on "Nothing Safe," because they've stuck live performances in place of some original studio recordings, so "Nothing Safe," is more of a Greatest Hits / Rareties CD. Anyway, let me review all the songs in sequence for you...

"Man In The Box," is a classic Alice In Chains song. It contains some very emotive and powerful lyrics, not to mention some inspired guitar work. Cantrell's solo is also brilliant, there's no doubt about it. It's a very sorrowful and pretty angry song too, but it's certainly one of their best songs. It gets 9.5/10 in my opinion.

"Them Bones," is a rather short and very heavy song. The lyrics are haunting and penetrating and the words talk of how we all will die one day. It's an angst-ridden, furious song that never lets up. It's ideal for getting your frustrations out, and so "Them Bones," gets 10/10 in my book.

"Rooster" is simply an unforgettable track and is actually a song about Jerry Cantrell's father who served in the Vietnam War. He was called "The Rooster," and this is a particularly personal song for the junior Cantrell. It's sad and haunting, deep and meaningful. The song cries and rages, and overall it's simply one of the best songs they've ever created. 10/10 for "Rooster."

"Angry Chair," is yet another song full of anger and frustration, and seems to be talking about being grounded as a child or taking a time out, but looking at it in terms of its psychological effects on a child. There again, it could be talking about what it feels like to be confused and alone; and not understanding why. The guitars chug and whine, the bass and drums pound, it's a seriously emotive and apocolyptic song. 10/10 for "Angry Chair."

"Would?" is probably my favourite Alice In Chains song. The bassline is awesome and the guitar riff, although simple, is ghostly and sounds almost enigmatic in a way. The video is brilliant too, so if you get a chance I suggest you watch it. You won't forget it. This song also reminds me of a fallout I had with some of my ex-friends 2.5 years ago and it helped me get through those grey and inescapable days. 11/10 for "Would?"

"No Excuses," is another song that reminds me of my fallout with my old friends, especially the lyrics. It's a beatifully sad song and is almost totally acoustic. The drum beat and bass are not jarring but rather more soothing and reflective. It's a stunning song. I'm sure you have / will attach your own meaning to this song though. "No Excuses," gets 10/10, no question about it.

"I Stay Away," came from the same album as "No Excuses" (i.e. Jar Of Flies) and is also a very macabre song. It's light and unobtrusive, but has moments of anger and energy, but pretty subtle. The violin work is also masterful and sounds fantastic. It's just fantastic, and gets 9.5/10 in my book. It's really great, I can't say anything more I think.

"Grind" is probably my favourite heavy song by Alice In Chains, or at least one of my favourites. The guitar and drums are solid and steady for most of the song, but the chorus is epic and unforgettable. Staley sounds phenomenal on this track. The video for this song is yet another stroke of genius, I just really enjoy it, I'm not 100% sure why. It's actually very strange and ethereal, just like the song itself. 11/10 for AIC's "Grind."

"Heaven Beside You," makes you think of a vast and limitless desert, and there's an intense feeling of loneliness in this song (i.e. "coldest winter chill," and "And you think you have it still") I will admit that it's not my favourite song, but it's still very powerful and can really grab me when I'm in the mood. The interpolation between the acoustic and electric guitar is great and highly effective, and it's got a strong Blues feel too. "Heaven Beside You" gets a most deserved 9.5/10.

"Again" has a killer riff and is phenomenal. I used to think it was the greatest Alice In Chains song, but I've since found better songs. The riff is steady like Grind and the lyrics echo and penetrate deeply. The video for this song is not great, it's ok, it just doesn't say much for the song itself. The drums sound brilliant and Kinney never misses a beat. This song has a mind-blowing chorus and excellent refrain with some cool harmonics. "Again" scores 9.5/10 in my opinion.

Overall "Alice In Chains - Greatest Hits" scores a fantastic 98% in my book, but the album's just missing so many other great songs, so its score gets downgraded to 80% on the dot I think. The collection is just not a totally accurate synopsis of what Alice In Chains is / was. "Nothing Safe" is much better, but should've just created an album that was just studio recorded hits. Save the live stuff for a rareties or Live album. In any case, "Greatest Hits," is still great and is a must have for all AIC fans. Just get it if you're a devout fan, trust me. Otherwise, if you want a more accurate summary of AIC, buy "Nothing Safe." That's all I have to say. Keep listening to Alice In Chains and let's keep the spirit of Grunge and Layne Staley alive...thank you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look what they've done to my song, ma!, March 4, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Part of the joy and enthusiasm that fans hold dear regarding the ill-fated Alice In Chains is their harmonies, vocal and instrumental, and their not-by-the-numbers approach to crafting excellent songs and stand-out albums. One could always expect that, upon playing any of their CDs for the first time, the music would be exceptional and the aural landscape pleasing. The CD greatest hits package sounds very good, but fans are more likely to shell out for the individual CDs in addition to the Greatest Hits package. When the SACD version of the their Greatest Hits was released, I expected the mix to be that much more interesting. At worst, I expected the lily to be gilded. However, the soundscape of this SACD, as played through multi-channel speakers is ABSOLUTELY ATROCIOUS. A horrible job has been done in separating the two-way stereo into 5.1, so much so that the entire sound is completely artificial. Compounding the problem is the becoming-more-frequent habit of engineers (specifically those those who engineer stereo CDs into 5.1 multi-channel) to REMIX the tracks in addition to the necessary repositioning of tracks to specific channels. In too many instances to count, the mix of these great, familiar songs is completely and very unsatisfyingly changed. This does not have anything to do with making a multi-channel mix from a stereo 2-channel mix, per se, but has everything to do with obliterating specific percussives, add-on guitar overdubs, and vocal tracks that you come to expect to hear. Example: In "Angry Chair" on the CD version, you hear Jerry Cantrell sing "I don't mind, yeah/ I don't mind" and expect to hear Layne Staley follow up with the background "I, I, I". Layne is gone from the mix on the SACD! This is only one example of countless many that make the SACD version of Alice In Chain's Greatest Hits a horrible, incomprehensible expenditure of the engineer's time and our money. I agree with "A music fan from Santa Monica"'s assessment but am more disappointed than he'she; as for "ballparkvisitor", you don't have a clue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do NOT buy., September 17, 2001
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
There is absolutely no reason for anybody to own this album. It's not supported by the band. Its song selection pales in comparison to that on "Nothing Safe: Best Of The Box" (which, incidentally, IS supported by the band and contains more material). It isn't at all adventerous (once again, unlike "Nothing Safe"). The ONLY two things present here that aren't on "Nothing Safe" are: 1) a song called "Heaven Beside You" (and if you love that song and MUST have it, you still don't have to get this, get "Unplugged" instead) and 2) a studio version of "Rooster" ("Nothing Safe" includes an incredibly good live version of the song). On the other hand, this CD does NOT include "Got Me Wrong", "Get Born Again", "We Die Young", "What The Hell Have I" and (for some strange reason) one of AiC's biggest hits, "Down In A Hole". Spend a little more money and get "Nothing Safe" instead... you'll be glad you did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another blatant cash in from Columbia/Sony, February 26, 2004
This review is from: Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
You'd figure with a previously released greatest hits album ("Nothing Safe: The Best of the Box") a box set ("Music Bank"), and a live album, Columbia/Sony Records would have milked grunge greats Alice in Chains for all they could. Well, this ten track "Greatest Hits" album proves otherwise, as nine of the ten tracks found here can be found on "Nothing Safe". This is yet another blatant cash in from Columbia/Sony, and fellow hardcore AIC fans would agree that a true AIC greatest hits should include masterpieces like "Sunshine", "Bleed the Freak", "Love, Hate, Love", "Rain When I Die", "Dirt", "Brother", "Nutshell", "Sludge Factory", and "Over Now" plus where are the other singles (this compilation is basically the songs that radio ate up) like "We Die Young", "Sea of Sorrow", "What the Hell Have I?", "Got Me Wrong", and "Get Born Again"? Newer fans to AIC are better off starting with "Facelift" or "Nothing Safe" and leaving this coaster on the table.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Collection, April 30, 2002
Layne Staley (1967-2002)
Only The Good Die Young
Since their formation in the mid to late 1980s, Alice In Chains has slowly been carving their place into metal. From their angrier works of Facelift to the beauty of Jar Of Flies to the heavy riffs of their self titled album, the band has survived the trends and this album, Greatest Hits, is only a small testament to what the band has accomplished in the last 15 years or so.
Layne Staley (R.I.P.) takes lead vocals on most of the 10 songs, singing in his distinct style that a great deal of singers today have tried to imitate and make their own. Staley has the perfect voice for this band, going from wailing to a near growl. Harmonizing on vocals with Staley is Jerry Cantrell, who plays deep, dark, sludgy riffs and occasionally pulling off an incredible solo. The band's drum work has always been something interesting. Sean Kinney plays beats so perfect and so complimentary to the guitar, it's astounding. On the earlier songs, the bass is played by Mike Starr, whose low-end playing adds to the anger of the music. On the later releases, Mike Inez is present and he is a powerhouse when it comes to bass. He plays magnificently and adds a great touch to the songs.
Right from the start, this album hits hard with their first hit, Man In The Box. With its memorable guitar work and powerful vocals, this song has earned its proper place on this compilation. From their fan-proclaimed masterpiece Dirt comes Them Bones, Rooster, Angry Chair and Would?. Them Bones is a hard rocker with some loud, crunchy guitar and harmonic vocals. Rooster is a classic song in itself. Each instrument is played amazingly well and Layne Staley soars during the choruses. Angry Chair is another amazing song. The song ranges from being deep and hard to melodic and heavy. The guitar work is thick but the drumming is a standout here, with a strong and consistent beat backing the darkness of the song. Would? is a very strong song with excellent instrumentation but the lyrics stand out. Much like the rest of the song on Dirt, the lyrics are filled with personal references, mainly on the usage of drugs, and this song is no exception. From Jar Of Flies comes No Excuses and I Stay Away. No Excuses is an excellent song with some nice acoustic guitar work and excellent drumming. I Stay Away is another acoustic song but it strays toward the darker elements of Facelift and Dirt. Layne Staley sings the vocals with overwhelming anger and agony with an orchestration of strings to back up the guitar, bass and drums. This song is one of the most powerful song on the Jar Of Flies album. The final songs on the album, Grind, Heaven Beside You and Again, come from their self-titled album. Grind is a dark, sludgy tune with some deep guitar and pounding rhythm as well as some harmonious vocals on the choruses. Heaven Beside You is an absolutely amazing song. The guitar is perfect, the rhythm is powerful and Jerry Cantrell, who assumes most vocals here, croons the lyrics amazingly. Again is the final song on this compilation and is much like Grind except a bit faster and not as dark.
Alice In Chains have been a force to reckon with ever since they recorded and release their debut album. They have defied all trends and stuck to what they do best and their music has evolved over time. Unfortunately, we will never hear of the band entering the studio to record their follow-up. R.I.P. Layne Staley. This compilation is a nice deal maybe for beginners but the hardcore fans of AIC may want more. So, if you are just getting to the band, check this out but you long timers, stay away or you'll hurt yourself getting mad at buying this.

1.0 out of 5 stars alice in pains, March 27, 2005
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
i love alice in chains this is the worst SACD i have ever heard. mixed terribly, the origonal disc sounds sooooooooo much better.

Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits
Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits by Alice In Chains (Audio CD - 2001)