Customer Discussions > Black Gives Way To Blue forum

Wow, this is not Alice in Chains, this is another Jerry Cantrell album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2009 8:44:03 PM PDT
Justin Gall says:
Seriously, I listened to this album, and this is not Alice in chains. This is another Jerry Cantrell solo album labeled as an Alice in Chains album. I like Jerry's solo stuff, but hitting shuffle on itunes between this, and Jerry's degradation trip album, I wouldn't know which album was which. I like the album as another Jerry Cantrell album, I don't like it as a Alice in Chains album. It doesn't have the same feel. Layne not being on there is a bit of it, but the AIC songs that just had Jerry singing, even had a different feel to them then this album.
Overall, a real mellow album, great background music, but definitely NOT an Alice in Chains album.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 3:08:27 PM PDT
MrSavoie2U says:
Dude, Cantrell is Alice in Chains and alot of his solo stuff sounded like AIC, so I really don't see much difference, other than a different Lead Singer. The Cd is great and is very much so Alice In Chains.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 7:01:36 AM PDT
Thank you Justin! Someone else who actually gets it. This is a decent Jerry Cantrell Album, but is not AIC... SHEEPLE!

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 9:29:12 AM PDT
It's not fair to compare this album to previous AIC releases. Of course it's not going to be the same, Staley's gone and a lot of things have changed for the band to the point where not every song is about depression and drugs, and you can't expect that. If they were, the people who are unwilling to give this version of the group a chance would start complaining that they were just manufacturing negativity for use in their songs.

I've come to the conclusion that Cantrell will never get the recognition he deserves in this band by the Staley fan boys because they are so blinded by their loyalty to him. Cantrell wrote great songs during the bands heyday that were more associated with Staley due to their depressing nature, and the Staley fans seem to believe that if a AIC song has depressing lyrics, it HAD to be written by Staley since his drug issues were so public. Now Jerry Cantrell has done a heck of a job bringing back the AIC sound, trying his hardest not to tarnish the band's legacy, and the doubters are calling it a Cantrell solo album. The guy can't win.

As hard as it may be just try to judge this album on its own merits and accept the fact that AIC will never sond the same without Staley and they're not trying to. If you don't like the new album, just listen to the old stuff. It's not going anywhere and its impact hasn't been lessened by this new album.

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 12:55:05 PM PDT
I would say the album is a mix of Jerry solo and classic AIC. Theses songs are easily Jerry solo:

All Secrets Known
Last of My Kind
A Looking In View
Lessons Learned

These don't really do anything for me. The rest of the album is much better; even the songs that sound somewhat like JC solo songs are overall much more inspired and "AIC" sounding than the plodding, repetitive, and overlong songs on Degradation Trip. For one, DT has no guitar solos on it while BGWTB has quite a few (not enough, but still much more than JC solo). Also, I think the songwriting is much better overall.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 2:04:06 PM PDT
"Last of My Kind" has vocals predominantly by William DuVall...

The other songs I could agree on you with, but "Last of My Kind?" No.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 8:53:29 AM PDT
i think justin and g. staudinger need to both wake up.....
alice in chains was not layne...more than anything, it is jerry cantrell's band, he writes the majority of the songs....

i would totally be fine if his two solo albums were re-released under the moniker of alice in chains....
jerry is A.I.C., it's as simple as that.

and this definitely sounds like a new album from the band Alice in Chains, it has elements of all of their previous albums on it, so if you don't like this album
then you really must not like alice in chains at all then.......

William DuVall is a better frontman than Layne ever could have been....yeah, i said it!!
Seen them in concert recently and it was was way better than what i remember of the concert i saw of theirs in 1993....due to layne being highly drugged out
and being a sloppy frontman

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 1:26:23 PM PDT
Erm, DuVall has the main vocal on Last of My Kind. Realize for a second that Cantrell wrote the majority of the lyrics, and most of the melodies with the exception of S/T. In my opinion, Cantrell's solo records are AIC W/OUT Layne. He has always been the mastermind behind the band, and this new record is, without a doubt, an AIC record. I couldn't be happier.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 2:10:58 PM PDT
Pixelriffic says:
Just to put your stupid Layne hating ass in place. I like Jerry Cantrell too, but his solo stuff never acheived the success of Alice In Chains. Not even close, and Staley had more than just a little to do with that. He was the face of the band. He was the lead singer and the voice people associate with that band and the one who brought Jerry's work to life. Without him Jerry would've never attained the level of success he has, so if you want to pretend like Layne was nobody and just along for the ride fine, but you're only deluding yourself. It sounds to me like you're more of a Cantrell fan than an AIC fan. NO real AIC fan would so matter of factly dismiss Layne's contribution.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 2:31:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2009 2:41:15 PM PDT
I never said I was a Layne Staley hater. I'm just trying to bring to light the fact that Cantrell had a much larger contribution to AiC than most people seem to realize. I respect everything Layne Staley has ever done with the band, I own Above by Mad Season, and I FREQUENTLY revisist "Dirt" and "Alice in Chains", the latter being my favorite record by the band. I'm sorry if my previous post came off the way you interpreted it. I meant no disrespect.

Edit: I see now that your post wasn't meant for me FrenchFryGuy, LOL!

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 2:51:28 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:
Yea staley contributed a thing here and there, but jerry cantrelly was(and is) alice in chains. He was the main songwriter and even sang on a good portion of their songs.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 4:06:41 PM PDT
D. Sneed says:
Staley actually help write a hell of a lot of songs- I would say the song writing was split about 60-40. Just saying.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 4:08:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 4:33:43 AM PDT
D. Watson says:
I agree that this could easily be considered another Cantrell solo record but I can't say that I blame it being released under the AIC name since sadly Jerry's solo records didn't sell as well as they should have. People should really go out and buy those. You'll be suprised at how much Jerry was the main songwriter for AIC.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 8:01:42 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 30, 2009 11:53:43 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 8:37:39 PM PDT
We Die Young (Cantrell)
Man in the Box (Staley, Cantrell)
Sea of Sorrow (Cantrell)
Bleed the Freak (Cantrell)
I Can't Remember (Staley, Cantrell)
Love, Hate, Love (Staley, Cantrell)
It Ain't Like That (Cantrell, Starr, Kinney)
Sunshine (Cantrell)
Put You Down (Cantrell)
Confusion (Staley, Cantrell, Starr)
I Know Somethin' ('bout You) (Cantrell)
Real Thing (Staley, Cantrell)
Brother (Cantrell)
Got Me Wrong (Cantrell)
Right Turn (Cantrell)
Am I Inside (Staley, Cantrell)
Love Song (Kinney)
Them Bones (Cantrell)
Dam That River (Cantrell)
Rain When I Die (Cantrell, Staley, Kinney, Starr)
Down in a Hole (Cantrell)
Sickman (Cantrell, Staley)
Rooster (Cantrell)
Junkhead (Cantrell, Staley)
Dirt (Cantrell, Staley)
God Smack (Cantrell, Staley)
Iron Gland (Cantrell)
Hate to Feel (Staley)
Angry Chair (Staley)
Would? (Cantrell)
Rotten Apple (Staley, Cantrell, Inez)
Nutshell (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
I Stay Away (Staley, Cantrell, Inez)
No Excuses (Cantrell)
Whale & Wasp (Cantrell)
Don't Follow (Cantrell)
Swing on This (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
What the Hell Have I (Cantrell)
A Little Bitter (Cantrell/Kinney/Inez/Staley)
Grind (Cantrell)
Brush Away (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
Sludge Factory (Staley, Cantrell, Kinney)
Heaven Beside You (Cantrell, Inez)
Head Creeps (Staley)
Again (Staley, Cantrell)
Shame In You (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
God Am (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
So Close (Staley, Cantrell, Kinney)
Nothin' Song (Staley, Cantrell, Kinney)
Frogs (Staley, Cantrell, Inez, Kinney)
Over Now (Cantrell, Kinney)
The Killer Is Me (Cantrell)
Get Born Again (Cantrell/Staley)
Died (Cantrell/Staley)

Total Original Songs: 54
Total Songs with a Jerry Cantrell Writing Credit: 50
Total Songs with a Layne Staley Writing Credit: 29
Total Songs written solely by Jerry Cantrell: 21
Total Songs written solely by Layne Staley: 3

[/aicnerd]

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 8:49:19 PM PDT
J. Moore says:
This is not Alice in Chains, I think it's far superior to any Cantrell solo album and it's is the best record to come out this year. Jerry gets a pass for using the AIC name because they sound excellent live with DuVall at the point playing old AIC tracks. I was shocked at how well DuVall pulls off old tracks live considering he sounds nothing like Layne on this Album. If you get a chance see them live it'll be worth every penny.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 8:52:48 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:

Exactly! Hopefully that shows the naysayers that Jerry was the main songwriter.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 3:56:50 AM PDT
That is bull@#$%. Layne did not only write 3 songs! Layne wrote the lyrics to every song on the self titled album besides Grind, Heaven Beside You, and Over Now. He also wrote the lyrics to every song on Jar of Flies besides No Excuses and Don't Follow (Whale and Wasp is Cantrell but is an instrumental). Layne wrote Man in the Box for @#$%'s sake! Layne wrote Angry Chair too. He wrote a lot of songs and helped write a lot of songs. You're crediting him with 3 because those 3 are the only ones he wrote both the lyrics and the music for, but as for the lyrics, he wrote a lot more than that. Above by Mad Season is a great album and Layne wrote all of the lyrics except for Long Gone Day, which he co-wrote with Mark Lanegan. Aside from the argument of who wrote what, Layne was the voice and face of the band. He was the heart and soul of Alice in Chains. His voice portrayed more emotion than Jerry Cantrell ever could. There are a lot of singers who don't write any or very few of their own songs, but that doesn't make them any less of a great singer. AND to anyone who says "Jerry Cantrell IS Alice in Chains," you should know that LAYNE created the name Alice in Chains. Layne used that name before he even met Jerry Cantrell! Layne's band was called Alice 'N Chainz and when he and Cantrell formed a band together they changed the spelling to Alice in Chains. Layne also designed the Alice in Chains sun logo. Therefore, the name Alice in Chains should not be Cantrell's to just throw around and use for his new band because he would have never had that name at all if it wasn't for Layne. The band would have been called Diamond Lie (Cantrell's band name before he worked with Layne). Maybe Cantrell should have used the name Diamond Lie for this new album because this album is like a synthetic diamond. It may look like a real diamond but it's not. They may try to sound like the same band without Staley, but they're not.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 6:39:14 AM PDT
D. Sneed says:
I have to agree with SushiWorship.

Although I do like the album-it is missing Layne. Just like Axl and Slash both miss Izzy.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 8:14:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2009 7:35:59 PM PDT
I am not understanding the animosity between AIC fans with this release. There are a few fundamental facts to the AIC formula that are undeniable.
1. Jerry and Layne are AIC, both contribute equally as what Jerry did lyrically Layne made up for with singing talent alone.
2. Its not just the singing, but the sound of the songs which requires more then just Jerry and Layne

Debating either of these to me is stupid, as if you remove either the band is nothing. That being said I would be horrified to know any AIC fan who does not lament the loss of Layne and does not give him the credit he deserves, the man is dead people show some respect. I also would be disapointed to know of an AIC fan who can not appreciate this album as a valid entry to the AIC catalog. People do not make music like this anymore, in fact its a damn miracle that this is even gracing my ear drums as I type this as I have been swiming in a marsh of Nickelback and Daughtry clones while I watch the 90's hard rock sound slowly die and a bit of my self with it. Perhaps for nothing more than hopefull nostalgia I find it hard to believe that anyone who calls themselves an AIC fan can not enjoy these tracks, as an achievement to go againt the grains of modern music in a post American Idol society. Those who feel Jerry and all of us who like the new album are downgrading Layne and the AIC name please give the album more time to grow on you, I know the lack of Layne's vocals is striking at first but as you listen to the album I found that the AIC formula and sound is still there enough where it counts. Those writing off Layne's contributons, please go (insert 4 letter word) yourselves. This album needed to be made because this world needs AIC, hell I need AIC and despite the loss of Layne there is still more of AIC alive then there is dead. This band was built on the sound of 4 great musicians, you can not discount Mike Inez or Sean Kinney either. Some may say anyone can play this music but these guys are this music, it makes a big difference to have the original guys there as only they play the way they do, anyone else would just be imitating their sound.

Let me share this with you all, when I went to the store to pick this up yesterday I was looking at the album reading the track list and another guy walked in front of me picked up the album and said "Good choice" my responce "your damn right". What did we have in common? From looks nothing, there I stand with my acid washed jeans, faded shirt and beat up jean jacket with my messy spiky hair and big black sun glasses, he looked like someone out of a Gap catalog, but both of us all to aware why we had come to the store. Its that bond that shows why AIC must contiune on without Layne, because the world needs real music and there are so few who produce it any more. This album is a testament to both AIC and Layne's memory. There is no hidden reasons here, no secret plot to tarnish or forget Layne, nothing but the 3 remaining members mourning the loss of a friend and continuing the legacy they created and shared because they miss it and because it represents the best of each of them, and I for one am damn glad they are still here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 8:40:17 AM PDT
R. Vickers says:
have you actually listened to the album, anyone who says this isnt aic is lying to there self. it wreaks of pure aic goodness and flow. its laynes own fault for not being around anymore. Layne became unable to write and sing like facelift and dirt because of his drug use. jerry and the rest of the guys have done a great job of keeping his legacy alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 8:52:24 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 8:54:47 AM PDT
"I am not understanding the animosity between AIC fans with this release"

that's because they truly aren't A.I.C fans,,,just layne stayley fans

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 9:57:55 AM PDT
SushiWorship... it seems to me that you missed a couple lines of my post... I'm going to post it again just to make it clear...

If you notice, I broke up both Jerry and Layne's writing credits into two categories. I'm not saying that Layne only wrote 3 songs. I'm saying that Layne has sole writing credits on 3 songs (Angry Chair, Hate to Feel, and Head Creeps). By sole writing credits, I mean that he wrote the entire song and no other band member has a writing credit on the song. I also said that he has 29 writing credits out of 54 songs... which means he wrote the song with the help of another band member (or 2... or 3).

Jerry still has the lion-share of writing credits. I am, by no means, trying to discredit any of Layne's contributions. He was one of a kind. However, Jerry gets a raw deal when it comes to the credit that he was the main songwriter of the band and that is all I was trying to illustrate by posting the writing credits.

Layne's addictions robbed us of Alice in Chains and these songs are too good to die with him.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 10:03:02 AM PDT
hmmmm... so after Lennon died, McCartney and the rest of the boys could have just found another singer/songwriter and they could have just kept chugging along making great records. Whatever dude...you guys just don't get it. Layne was a great talent... so is Jerry. But when you combine them, something special (once in a lifetime) happened. You cannot replace Layne and call the band AIC anymore than you could replace Jerry. Jerry should have done the classy thing (like Dave Grohl). Start a new band, or keep on with the solo career.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  43
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Black Gives Way To Blue
Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice In Chains (Audio CD - 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (365)