Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Shop Now bgg

on March 10, 2008
Can't argue with the greatness of what's here. Only thing I wish is that they'd remaster this greatest hits collection because it's the only place to find this mix of "I'm Eighteen". The difference? more guitar, less harmonica in the intro. Being that this is the album that introduced me to Alice, I never thought the harmonica sounded right on the other version--it's just not an instrument that fits well with this band's sound.

Sometimes the remix made for the hits compilation is just the superior version: For instance, the version of The Grass Roots' "Where Were You When I Needed You" from Their 16 Greatest Hits vinyl LP, never again to appear in the U.S. It's not the hit version, but Rob Grille's vocal clearly outdoes that of the previous lead vocalist. Or "Question" by The Moody Blues as remixed for their This Is The Moody Blues compilation, also (at least arguably) superior to the version played on radio. While that compilation remains neglected in terms of remastering, the song in retooled form was included as a bonus track on the latest remaster of A Question Of Balance. Kate Bush's "Wuthering Heights" was given a second go with a vocal most consider far more appealing than that of the original version. And so it is with this Greatest Hits version of "I'm Eighteen." It's not the version played on radio, but it should be. It sounds to my ears more like classic Alice Cooper. Wish I could hear it in all its remastered glory.
on February 11, 2010
Cooper is perhaps best known for his elaborate stage shows which presaged the theatrical excesses of the 1970s, but apart from the anthems "Eighteen" and "School's Out" and the exquisite gem "No More Mr. Nice Guy", the pickings are fairly slim on this collection from 1974. The rockin' "Under My Wheels" and the political satire of "Elected" are pretty decent, but the rest of this material is very standard stuff about what life's like when you "play guitar in a long-haired rock'n'roll band".

Cooper's most distinguishing characteristic (and probably the main reason we still listen to him today) is the slightly mischievous hint of evil that leavens pieces like "Desperado", "Hello Hooray" and "Billion Dollar Babies". Of course in Cooper's case it was all a come-on - a gimmick to leaven his stage shows - but it set the stage for the groups who made evil a dominant theme of rock in later decades.

Still, as a purchase, one wonders who this collection should be recommended to. Cooper's devoted fans must already own most of these tracks on their original releases, while listeners new to the artist might well wonder: if songs like "Is It My Body", "Hello Hooray", and "Teen-age Lament 74" represent the best of Alice Cooper, then what does the mediocre stuff sound like? For them, a stronger collection compiled from Cooper's entire career might be a better choice. Three and a half stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2006
This was a compilation of Alice Cooper... the band!

The music holds up and shows that despite the visual approach it is nonetheless really good rock and roll music. The only problem with this is that it omits better songs and includes lessor ones.

"Love it to Death" was their best album. This before Vincent Furnier assumed the moniker of the band. "Muscle of love" was their weakest. The band was falling apart.

"Ballad of Dwight Frye", "Caught in a Dream" and "Big Apple Dreamin" should have replaced "Teenage Lament 74", "Muscle of Love" and "Is it my Body".

I wonder if record companies select the greatest hits or fans of the music. I would think that fans of Alice Cooper would concur.

For most fans stemming back 30 years, "Dwight Frye" has always been a favorite.
on February 10, 2007
Okay, I'm not ACG's biggest fan. But there are great songs aplenty here. I always loved I'm 18, for one. School's Out, that song rocks too. Be My Lover, Under My Wheels, Desparado, Elected, No More Mr. Nice Guy, and Billion Dollar Babies are all amazingly good songs too. But my favorite's gotta be I'm 18. A couple missteps: I could've done without Is It My Body, though it's not bad. Hello Hooray's a bit overblown, but still an OK song; Teenage Lament '74 and Muscle of Love could've been pulled. But Cooper's best stuff rocks, and this is far better than the hair-metal it sadly inspired. Get a copy of this CD.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2006
Yeah, this is one of the best best-of sets ever released. But the problem with comps such as this is the amount of great material left off. This should have been initially released as a two record set in 1974. Among the absent: "caught in a dream", "ballad of Dwight Frye" (how could the NOT include this one!?), "dead babies", "killer", "loony tune", "gutter cat vs. the Jets", "I love the dead", and "man with the olden gun" (better than the song used in the movie!). Alice still performs most of these no-shows.
on January 4, 2001
This was the very first alice record(yes, record. cd was a thing of the future)I ever bought. It blew me away. I was about twelve at the time. This album was the last for alice's original line-up. It has songs from five of alice's best albums from '71-'74. It skips unfortunately anything from the first two. It does however contain all the radio hits and then some. Anyone looking to experience Alice in his prime may want to start here and work their way down the years before going up. You won't be disappointed!
on January 29, 2006
This is classic Alice Cooper. All of the greatest hits on one CD. However, I would love to see a greatest hits CD that includes all of the strange songs. Such as 'Dead Babies', 'Black Juju', 'Generation Landslide'. These are songs you wouldn't normally find on a Greatest Hits CD, yet they are the songs that launched Alice Cooper's career. If you want strange and bizarre, I recommend Alice Cooper's very first CD from 1969 'Pretties For You'. One song I would have included on this compilation is 'Tuesday Mueller'. Other than that, I would give this CD a 4 star rating and an excellent starting point for any new Alice fan.
on March 13, 2013
The man with a girl's name, Alice Cooper rocked us through the early 70's ERA with incredible hits, such as "School's Out", "Eighteen", "Billion Dollar Babies" and "No More Mister Nice Guy". The debut album stunned society bending the rules with unconformity and flaunting a presence that proceeded to an anthology of exceptional and notable classic rock music.
on March 1, 2009
4. Billion Dollar Babies
5. Teenage Lament '74 - Alice Cooper, Cooper, Alice
6. Muscle of Love
on November 24, 2005
Sure all the hits from Alice Cooper group are here and most of them are good (8 from 12), but songs that made that group special and unique are almost completely missing. I'm talking about shock rock. Alice Cooper was shock rock Romeo and this album doesn't say it at all. Scary and more progressive songs from Killer and Love it to death cannot be found from here. I mean Dead babies, Killer, Halo of flies, Black juju and Ballad of dwight fry. School's out is my favourite album from Alice Cooper group and there is only one song from it (and it's my favourite song on this compilation). Where are Gutter cats vs Jets and My stars.

Well the choices from Billion dollar babies are pretty good even though my favourite song hilarious Unfinished sweet is missing. This compilation contains songs only from Alice Cooper group's Warner bros albums, but it didn't lower my rating. It was pretty good perioid in his career. I could almost give this album 3 stars. It has many good songs like School's out, Elected, Billion dollar babies, No more mr. nice guy, Under my wheels, Desperado, Hello hooray and I'm eighteen, but because you can now get Mascara and monsters, that contains all these songs and songs from his first three solo albums too in almost same price this albums has became useless.

If you want just all the hits by Alice Cooper group, buy this compilation. It is quite cheap. But in my opinion the best Alice Cooper songs are not his hits. If you are discovering his music, there are also better places to start. Buy Mascara and Monsters or five stars masterpieces like Killer and School's out instead.