5.0 out of 5 stars Alice: Epicness Returns!
Woohoo! Alright, now I'm going to start right off by saying I LOVE this game! Now, with that being said, let's take a quick look at what's so great (and not great) about it, shall we?

Published on June 14, 2011 by Rick Mallory Jr.

3.0 out of 5 stars So much potential
I really wanted to like this game. It's something of a rare find, a mainstream title with a female protagonist and a focus on her internal world. I'd always wanted to play the original title but when it came out, I was still in highschool and I didn't have access to a computer that could play it. I was very pleased when I discovered this new title included the original...
Published on August 14, 2012 by Alex

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice: Epicness Returns!, June 14, 2011
Rick Mallory Jr. (Colonial Heights, Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

First off, the graphics. Now, I like how the developers took a more "animated" style for this (though some may not). The colors in the backgrounds and scenery can range from absolutely breath-taking, to horrifically morbid (in a good way). The character and level design is also very unique and while somewhat cartoonish, this only helps serve the purpose of resulting in a very creative and imaginative piece of art.

Now, despite it's beauty, the game is also filled to the brim with what we all want: violence! Yes, most notably, the fighting mechanics of this game have been compared to the likes of Heavenly Sword, Dante's Inferno, and God of War, and rightfully so. It pretty much is a "hack-n-slash," type game like those mentioned, however there are also plenty of power-ups and abilities that can be used to "spice things up" a bit.

Back-tracking a bit to character design and such, the arsenal of villains and supporting cast is quite unique to say the least. Gone are the nostalgic images of cute n' cuddly Alice in Wonderland characters, and here, we are introduced instead to a more twisted yet fresh and entertaining cast. Personally, I LOVE the way the Cheshire cat is depicted in this video game, though I won't give away any "spoilers" as to appearance, so either you'll have to pick the game up, or just take my word for it ;).

The soundtrack and overall sound of the game itself really is rather enchanting, and definitely serves to help the mood of certain areas and scenes depicted on-screen. Once more, I have yet another compliment to offer, in that I truly think the voice acting in this game is phenomenal and the developers really outdid themselves in selecting the voice-talent; perfection!

So what about the gameplay itself? Is it any good? Is it fun? Would it be worth a second try (replay)? The answer to all of the above is...YES! The game itself is filled to the brim with action, interactive environments, and everyone's "favorite"...puzzles (lol). Nah, but seriously, the puzzles in this game aren't that bad at all, and even if you do end up getting stuck (which I doubt you will), we are fortunate to live in an age where we have all the answers to our questions at our fingertips (the internet). Needless to say, this game is an absolute BLAST, and replayability is definitely there. This is especially the case if you are a trophy collector, as some of the trophies involve beating the game on various difficulty settings.

I am a huge fan of all things "Alice in Wonderland." I have read the book(s), I have seen the movie(s), and now, I can say I have played the game(s). Oh yes, that's right, also if you purchase the game, you get a code that allows you to download the original "American McGee's Alice" game that was released back in 2000. What?! A free downloadable game?! Sweet! Now, keep in mind, the graphics will naturally be outdated since it came out in 2000, but any real gamer knows that graphics aren't what make a game...but whether or not a game is fun certainly does!

My only main gripe/concern about the game is that sometimes the controls/camera can be a bit tough to deal with, and can require some tinkering/tampering with to get it "just right." However the developers did a good job in offering the player to customize the control scheme to either regular or inverted, so depending on your preference, you can choose accordingly.

So, with that being said, here is what my first impressions of this game are:

Graphics: 5/5
Controls: 4/5
Sound: 5/5
Story: 4/5
Gameplay: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

At the very least, rent this game, however if you are an Alice in Wonderland fan, and don't mind reaching into your "darker" and "twisted" side, then you'd be doing yourself a disservice in not picking-up this game. So what are you waiting for?! Join me and visit Wonderland! :)

Update 6/15: Wow! I strongly encourage people to at least give this game a try. I've had another few hours at it, and I gotta' say, this game is so gorgeous and full of intrigue. I expected to have beaten it by now, however from what I've found, I still have a way to go. Length is always a PLUS to any game, and definitely gives me a sense that I spent my money well in picking this up. The puzzles are very unique, and some may require persistence or critical thinking skills, so if you don't enjoy things of that nature, then this game might not be for you, however I personally LOVE the challenge; as a lot of games these days seem to be too easy in my opinion. As I mentioned earlier, the character design is top-notch, and I keep running into more-and-more of our beloved favorite characters from the book/movie and I must say, the developers did an outstanding job in adding their own personal..."flare" to the characters.

I can understand where some of the negative reviews come from, since this type/style of game doesn't appeal to exactly everyone, but I can say that I'm surprised that there aren't more positive reviews out there. So with that in mind, at least give it a try, but to me, this is definitely worth a buy! Got any questions? Leave them in the comments! Hope this helps! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice: Madness Returns ... a feast for the eyes, June 15, 2011
Amazon Customer (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Alice: Madness Returns isn't your regular cup of tea.

Despite its 11 year absence, the sequel lives up to its original title quite well. Alice is back, and her mind is still fragmented and all is not well with her. Her grasp on sanity is tenuous at best and her psychologist sessions are not going well; the Victorian take on medicine is resplendently well-played out in the form of a Doctor whose therapy focuses purely on just "forgetting all the bad things."

It doesn't take long for Alice to start hallucinating again and thrown back into "Wonderland", coming across the Cheshire Cat who practically growls in his svelte voice that not all she sees is how she remembers things.

Alice isn't looking for a fight. But, as the Cheshire Cat lazily laments, "Really? That's a pity. One's certainly looking for you." Alice is unwittingly thrown back against nightmarish enemies with her trusty Vorpal Blade ("keen and swift," the Cheshire Cat purrs), a Pepper Grinder, and a couple of other surprises for you to discover. Her enemies are beautifully rendered and the soundtrack lends an urgent, ominous tone to the entire affair. In addition, Alice's stumbling into the "Drink Me" fountain allows her to shrink at will, allowing her to see things that the "big Alice" can't see and allow her to crawl through keyholes, some cleverly disguised behind rocks. And, throughout, shrinking will allow her to see the occasional crude drawing scrawled in a light neon purple warning her of challenges and suggestions of paths to follow. There are other upgrades, to be sure, including weapons (similar to the God of War scheme except that you're using teeth, not red orbs).

The gameplay is fun throughout and although hack-and-slash might help you with the first couple of nemeses that you encounter, you will eventually find others that will force you to adopt different tactics. Unlike Dante's Inferno, this game will require a little bit more strategy on your part and the secrets are very well-hidden. If there is anything that I feel detracts from the gameplay, it's the occasional area where you feel that you can explore a certain direction (say under a shallow tree root?), but you can't go that direction and no amount of shrinking will allow you to do so either. That's too bad, because the "force field" walls are quite archaic in this era of game design and some graphical work could have been employed to suggest that a certain area is simply not traversable.

That con aside, the game is a visual feast. I occasionally would stop just so that I could rotate the camera slowly and drink in the sights. The artwork is quite imaginative and is a stark contrast to the parts where Alice wanders around a somewhat lifeless London. Now, I have read reviews that there are some occasional bland textures. Call it what you will, but I attribute it to the fragmented mind of Alice herself; there is too much in this game that looks so good as to fault the programmers for areas (especially London) where it's seemingly lifeless and devoid of rich textures. I simply don't buy it. I won't spoil the artwork for you any further, but the level design and incorporation of everyday items as means for travel or building materials does make me utter the occasional "wow."

Now, as for story, don't expect any mind-blowing Hollywood movie here. The point of the journey is the nightmare and the art. With that in mind, the game succeeds quite admirably.

5 stars, McGee, for blowing my mind away again!

If that's not enough, the current release also includes a voucher to download the original Alice (just over 940 MB) for the PS3. If you didn't catch the game the first time around, now's your chance to get it again without resorting to the insane prices people are charging for used PC copies.

Alice is not for the faint of heart to be sure. The Mature rating is quite well-deserved, although I believe that the cover would do well-enough to dissuade any parent who would ever think that this is a whimsical take on the Alice story worthy of an 8-year old.

PS - just as an historical footnote, there are many who keep on stating how much this game is like God of War, Dante's Inferno, etc. The original Alice predates God of War by about 5 years. It's easier to compare this game to those, however, because they are considerably fresher in everyone's mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is wickedly fun..., June 25, 2011
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I was reading through Game Informer and I'm not understanding why this game got a mediocre review. This is one of the coolest games I've bought in a long time. The graphics are great. The story is fun. The knife you get is useful for attacks but the pepper grinder is an excellent weapon. If you are thinking of buying this game I would say go for it and ignore the reviews. In fact I'm going to ignore the reviews period from now on. I would have missed out on a great game if I would have listened to them..

4.0 out of 5 stars Mad World, June 28, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I just finished this game today and have to say I really enjoyed playing it. I'll try and keep this straight and to the point as best as I can.

Pros:

Art direction - the art direction in this game sets the standards for other games of its kind. In fact, I'll go as far as to say it's almost unparalleled. Sometimes I liked just looking around to see all of the creepy things they hid in the environment. Lovely.

Controls - these were really cinch-y. Jumping was rarely difficult. I had no issues with this while playing.

Camera - very rarely did the camera go wonky on me. Very, very rarely.

Voice Acting - everyone did a marvelous job. I love whoever did Alice's voice. I believe it's done by the same woman who did her voice in the first game, which is definitely a plus. The Cheshire cat is back, too.

Well-designed levels - I rarely if ever got lost or confused. Very straightforward.

High-creep factor - there were definitely times when I felt chills going up and down my spine. That's when you know that horror is being done correctly.

Combat - I loved the combat in this game! I like the dodge ability and all of the different weapons you get. Lots of fun and definitely a highlight. I feel this was greatly improved from the previous game, though that was fun too.

Collectables - there are a lot of collectables that make it worth a second play if you're up to playing it again. This game is actually quite long and took me several days to finish it

Add-ons - if you pre-ordered this game (though it may still be available; I don't know) you can get a free music sampler and a copy of the original Alice game.

Cons:

Overly simplistic puzzles - occasionally there will a break in the platforming-style of gameplay and there will be puzzles, but these puzzles are just waaaay too easy.

Odd glitches - this is just a nitpick, but there were some odd things going on every once in awhile, like Alice's hair jumping during a cutscene. There were also odd lapses of the subtitles during some of the cutscenes (they were too slow and didn't keep up with the character) or sometimes the character's sentence would just cut off and you'll be thrown onto a loading screen. Otherwise, a very cohesive game.

Poor transitioning - there were awkward and rather clumsy transitions between cutscenes and gameplay. Alice's hair will glitch or you will get an odd fade-in/fade-out quite often. Again, another nitpick. It won't affect gameplay at all.

Repetitive - Lots and lots of platforming over and over. They tried to break it up a little with side games, but it can get tiring at times. Though this game has some replay value potential, because it's so long and it's very much the same thing over and over again, I'd say this is a negative.

Boss battles - the boss battles were just the regular villains en masse. I liked how in the older game you could battle Wonderland characters, but here they were just there to encourage/hinder Alice. At one point, you think you'll get a big boss battle, but then something happens and the boss is taken out for you.

So as you can see, the pros outweigh the cons. This game is differently worth a try, especially for the art direction and the graphics. It's a lovely game with great combat, but it can get a little repetitive for me at times. In the end, though, it was worth every penny I spent and worth the wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finished part 2 (now to get on to part 1...), June 16, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I missed the chance to play American McGee's Alice, but I am familiar of the game and what happened at the end. The story continues with Alice Liddell trying to find some resolution with the death of her family and eventually finds out her Wonderland is in trouble. All the characters from the first game (Yes, all of them!) make their appearance in Madness Returns.

Madness Returns consisted 6 chapters with multiple sub-chapters (5 to 12).

Graphics: I am impressed by the character and level designs of the game. Transition between the real world and Wonderland are abrupt at the beginning, but they gradually blend later in the game till you cannot tell which one is which. It was well thought out in giving a creepy/cool vibe while playing. You will have skeletons, disemboweled anythings, blood splattered over everything, and naked statues of blood-crying geishas and anthropomorphic ants in the game. Plus some good ol' British swearin' to mix things up.

Gameplay: The game is a button masher with scattered puzzles in between, so you will have to do some platform jumping while slashing through enemies. You will encounter a few breakups of this type when Alice gets sucked into a calligraphy scroll and a 2-D sidescroller game ensues, or shooting down skeleton sharks in a galleon ala Raiden, or a pinball-like game in a broken doll house.

Sounds: The soundtrack is well done, and the voice actors all did an excellent job all around.

Weapons: You will start with the Vorpal blade, but you will eventually get the pepper grinder (a gattling gun for long range), hobby horse (a club that breaks through enemy defense), a teapot cannon (projectile explodes and damages multiple enemies and breakable objects), and a white rabbit decoy doll (distracts enemies, destroy breakable objects, or used as a weight to solve puzzles). Switching between weapons is easy, and the only time you use the d-pad is to switch between the pepper grinder and teapot cannon. All weapons (except the rabbit decoy) are upgradable using teeth (game currency) and can be upgraded anytime during gameplay.

Abilities: Alice has an ability to shrink in order to fit into keyholes to find hidden objects or items that will help her and give further details of the story. The shrink sense will allow you to see invisible objects or hints that have a dark light glow. When your health reaches to one rose, you can go into hysteria mode (by pressing L3) in that Alice becomes temporarily strong and invulnerable to enemies. You will grow into a giant later in the game.

Dresses: Each particular level has it's own dress that adorns Alice and gives you particular status advantages. The default is the story mode dress and let's "Wonderland adorn you with the appropriate dress." (All can be seen @ [...]
-Classic: Regain health while shrunk
-Steamdress: Breakables drop more teeth and roses
-Siren: Enemies drop twice as many roses
-Silk Maiden: Enemies drop twice as many teeth
-Royal Suit: Health increased to 4 roses total
-Misstiched: Shrink Sense duration is doubled

The DLC includes (pics @[...]:
-Caterpillar: Shrink Sense always shown
-Cheshire: Doubles all rose drops from enemies
-Checkmate: Doubles damage for all weapons
-Fleshmaiden (red queen): Hysteria any time
-Late but Lucky (white rabbit): Imbued with the power of Shrinking Violets
-Hattress: Lose teeth instead of health

-Vorpal Cleaver: reduces damage from enemies by half
-Octo-grinder: increases ammo time
-Knightmare: restores health with each hit
-Catnip Cannon: increase damage to enemies by half

Complaints:
-Enemies are often repeated and I thought there would be more variety
-I was not really engrossed in the game, and I got bored with a few segments
-You can only equip the dress or weapon you want for Alice in the main menu, rather than during play
-After using the teapot cannon or pepper grinder on a locked-on enemy, I find that my character is rooted in the same spot unless I press the escape (R2) button.
-I collected enough of Alice's memories in chapter 3 to figure everything out, then the pace of the game got really slow after.

Overall:
I thought it is a good game and a great deal if you get two games for the price of one. You will not be able to play the first game since it requires the game disc of the second game. It took me 15-20 hours to complete the game. Replay value is low to medium depending on if you want to try finishing the game in a different dress, finding all of Alice's memories, or getting all the trophies.

Personal Thoughts on the Game:
-I swear that one of the characters in the game was the voice for the pink/blue unicorn from Charlie the Unicorn ([...] ). I thought about screaming "Narwal of death!" during one point of the game.
-If you look closely at the character designs (especially in the sea level), they look remarkably like the ones in the "Drinky Crow Show" on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim.
-I heard a 5 year old girl saying that she wants the game with her dad in tow. After playing this game, thank goodness he refused.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but could improve, June 17, 2011
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Let me start out by saying I really do love this game the graphics are amazing and the gameplay if entertaining. The reason I dropped a star on the overall rating is because of the camera, the player has to continually move the camera while Alice moves; I don't play a lot of these type of games but it intrigued me, the camera not locking on Alice's back makes gameplay difficult because if you turn her around you have to turn the camera in order to see in front of her. Part of the 4 star rating is also because of the saving system, I think its a checkpoint save system but I think I'd rather have a saving option on the pause screen. Just some points I found as drawbacks from the game I still think its amazing just some funky controls and the checkpoint system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric Traversal, July 5, 2011
ATMOSPHERE...
If you are anything like me. You were probably on the fence about this one. The web sites reviewed this game poorly while the online communities rated it anywhere from 8-10 out of 10 across the board. I understand this game falls into a niche gaming market. The kind of people, myself included, who preferred bioshock to call of duty. It was never that call of duty wasn't a good game. It's just bioshock takes you somewhere. Alice Madness Returns is another said case. This game takes you somewhere. Granted there is some repetition. The combat can feel a little under developed compared to other games in it's class. It would have greatly benefited from more developed combos and wider variety of weapons. Even Alice herself could have been vastly improved by have the use of spells or something comparable to a skill tree of some sort. But those gripes aside the atmosphere and traversal are spot on. For anyone who likes Alice in Wonderland this is your game. Anyone who like the Nightmare Before Christmas vibe. This is your game. This game speaks to the kind of gamer who likes to sit back every once in awhile and say... "Wow that is creative." This game is all about art direction, story, charm. I promise if you look beyond the blemishes you will find yourself a wonderful experience in wonderland. The more we step away from the creativity and enchantment of gaming. The gaming we actually do.

5.0 out of 5 stars sublime insanity, June 15, 2011
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Alice is the sort of game that should have garnered widespread approbation instead of the largely middling and negative reviews it has accrued so far, a fact which speaks to the myopia and general immaturity of the gaming press, most of whom seem to have difficulty in appreciating original or creative concepts and are much more comfortable dealing with the cliched, the ordinary, and the predictable.

The art design in Alice is probably its strongest point, and is among the best I have seen in a game. The characters are whimsical and dark, like the strangely hobbling mechanical monstrosity that spews soot and bears the cracked visage of a porcelain doll, the madly scrabbling one-eyed teapot sprouting a forest of mechanical legs or the several characters that come straight from the original John Tenniel illustrations to Lewis Carrol's classic work, such as the mock turtle, the Duchess (who appears in turn to have been based on a DaVinci caricature), and a truly frightening rendition of the jabberwocky, with glowing orbs and the gaping maw of a catfish. The environments are no less compelling, from the grim and dingy backstreets of industrial England, to the myriad landscapes of wonderland itself. The kaleidescopic hills and vales of wonderland's outskirts quickly give way to a barren wasteland littered with the cracked remnants of cyclopean plates and cups, deeper still, beyond fonts of slow burning black tar lies a diabolic clockworks under a leaden green sky, in which huge conglomerate forms of black steel hover like bestial moths, trailing titan forks and kettles, limned by a deep red fire.

The platforming controls well and is fun, particularly since this unique brand of gameplay has been seldom seen in recent years. The levels are huge and intricate, with many secrets to find and collectibles and power-ups to unlock. The emphasis is on exploration and platforming, but the combat is well integrated to break up the pace and create a fluid and satisfying experience. Each enemy has particular weakpoints that require Alice to exploit specific strategies to take them out, making the combat much more involved than your typical hack n slash. The game is fairly challenging, and it is quite rewarding once you have mastered the controls to pull off a sweet series of death defying leaps with Alice's triple jump, or to hop nimbly between moving platforms that become visible momentarily when Alice's shrink vision is employed.

If your idea of a good game is one that involves stultifying realism, empty action, and hollywood cliches then odds are that you will not like this game. If your tastes go beyond that to the appreciation of literature, art, and above all imagination then this game should prove to be quite satisfactory. Overall 10/10, the most fun I've had with a game in a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun to explore than it is to play, June 15, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 2:40 Mins

*Updated upon completion*

BRIEF SUMMARY
The mood and art of the game is some of the best I've ever seen. The environmental art, character design, music, and feel of the game all accent each other perfectly. It was much more fun exploring the game than it was actually playing it. Game-wise this Alice sequel isn't much fun to play.

SUMMARY

1) The game is still great artistically and the mood it sets.
2) The music isn't at great at the first game but it is more tranquil which sets an eerie quality while killing things.
3) There are a few inexcusable game design flaws (horrible camera angles, directional movement reversing when coming out of holes, focus on the rabbit bomb while trying to finish a times test which eats away an easy couple seconds.
4) The level design is used over and over and over again. From the same sliding slides to the same re-skinned platforms, air blasts, etc.
5) The game could have easily been half the time it took to complete it. Unfortunately the game uses its bag of tricks early on and there isn't any reason to drag the game longer than it is.

As I stated in the original review the game is moderately fun to play. At some times its excruciating almost to the point of grinding like you might in an MMO. BUT the game still sets an amazing aesthetic feel to the story which trumps a good deal of the bad stuff. In fact I'd have preferred more exploration of Alice's psychosis than the endless platforming and fights...though I'm not sure there's a set market for that. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - -
INITIAL REVIEW

I'm a huge fan of American McGee's Alice (the original). And this sequel does pretty much what the last one did, with some added spit and polish.

What you first have to realize is this isn't an action game that you rush through. This is the sort of game that you savor, that you stop killing things and just admire all the fine detail put into the backgrounds and such. It really is more of an artistic and psychological story than it is a platformer or adventure game (though it has elements of that). If you enjoy artistic games or the way American McGee has twisted a classic story then look no further. If you're looking for a heavy action game than this probably isn't for you, and there's no shame in that.

The music (as in the first game as well) is moody, dark, and very unique. The voice acting is zany and fits all the characters quite well. The invisible walls put in areas I want to explore sometimes suck me out of the game for a minute, but than I see one of the backgrounds (like the Mat Hatter's floating area) and I completely forget.

My one problem thus far is I'm not sure someone jumping into the story of the sequel is going to have any idea of what's going on. It's sort of like the Harry Potter movies where you're fine if you've read the books and if you haven't you'll probably enjoy the movies but you'll be a bit lost and miss many of the small things that create the big picture. Even being an avid fan of the first game, I'm thrown a bit by the story of this game though I think as you progress it becomes more clear. Still, the storytelling could have been tightened up.

Again this is a marvelously deranged retelling of Alice in Wonderland (or Through the Looking Glass since it's a sequel) and deserves to be enjoyed like some hot mint tea. Drink it too fast and you'll burn yourself (bye bye taste buds), but if you savor each sip you will be quite delighted with the craft from many talents that have gone into the making of this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Relieved, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I waited for this game for a very long time, but I did not purchase it when it was first released because of the luke-warm reviews. I was actually beginning to feel disappointed, but a few positive reviews kept my hopes up. After the game went on sale I decided to finally buy it and I am so glad I did. I love this game. To me it seems like the perfect blend of third-person action and platforming. The lesson to be learned is this: Always, always, always play a game and make up your own mind before bowing to the opinions of "reviewers" (including me).

Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3
Alice: Madness Returns - Playstation 3 by Electronic Arts (PlayStation 3)
$25.50