5.0 out of 5 stars These I will make!
Published on November 1, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Who doesn't like cookies & brownies?
If you love cookies and brownies, and who doesn't, then you'll love this book!
Even if you're not a cookie cooking professional, you'll be able to whip yp the best desserts on the block! (Be sure to share them with your neighbors, they'll be wondering what that wonderful smell is coming from your kitchen)!
You'll learn cookie details, cookie decorating, and...
Published on November 2, 1999 by Connie Fabian (toyjersey@toyne...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars These I will make!, November 1, 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book, and when I got it I have to admit that I was suprised at the small size and number of recipes(about 50). I was glad that I had bought the book at a discount because I do not think that I would have paid full price for the book. Then I went through the book and I was extremely pleased at the attention to detail and the ways she came up with to make traditional favorites even better. This is not a cookie encyclopedia with a million recipes for mediocre lumps of baked dough, but a selection of favorites that are absolutely delicious. I can imagine making EVERY recipe in this book, and that I cannot say about any cookbook I own but this one. The book itself has pictures of almost every cookie and it is printed on high quality paper, so this book will not fall apart in a few years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got Milk?, May 16, 2000
By A Customer
The other book I have by Medrich, Chocolate and the Art of Low Fat Desserts, made me want to award her the Nobel Prize, so I had great expectations for this book. I was surprised at how small it was and wondered at the price. Then I made the Snickerdoodles. I have been in search of the perfect Snickerdoodle recipe, and my quest has come to an end. They were ethereal; melt in your-mouth, almost light texture, yet delectably buttery. I hate to confess that in one evening, I ate all of the ones from the first sheet out of the oven. I am almost afraid to try another recipe, but at the same time I can hardly wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, December 3, 2000
Jean Brown (Falls of Rough, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I've been cooking for many years, during the time I was raising my sons I must have baked thousands of chocolate chip cookies, very good chocolate chip cookies I thought. Until now, I just made some using the recipe and technique from Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies, what wonderful cookies they are, soft and chewy in the middle with crip brown edges, the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever tasted. If the other recipes are this good then the book is a miracle...this one recipe though makes the book priceless. If you love to bake then treat yourself to Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate reference for cookies., January 30, 2001
By A Customer
Yes, the book is about cookies. But it also has biscotti and brownie recipes. I bought this book last summer and I have to agree with one reviewer. For our family's 4th of July celebration, I made the Snickerdoodles. WOW! These redefined my definition of Snickerdoodles (sorry, Grandma)! This cookie was chewy, buttery and perfectly golden brown. I've never tasted anything like it before. I've made several other batches like the rugelach, lemon ginger wafers, bridget's oat-raisin-coconut cookies and the chocolate chip cookies. They are all works of art. What I like is that Ms. Medrich explains the secrets of WHY these cookies turn out so well. For example, some batters need to be refrigerated, some don't. Yes, this book is somewhat pricey but so worth it. It is more than just the author's personal cookie collection. You will need no other cookbook for cookies (or biscotti) any longer. As for me, the seach has ended.

5.0 out of 5 stars These cookies are criminal, August 14, 2001
Those are the words said when my son tasted the chocolate chip cookies. I made the classic brownies with the water bath the other day. Best brownies I ever made. Crunchy on the outside especially the edges and chewy moist on the inside. Can't wait to try more.

4.0 out of 5 stars She's the Chocolate Queen!, May 20, 2000
The recipes are indeed gems and the author devotes an entire chapter to biscotti, but if you're looking for brownies other than chocolate - you'll need to look elsewhere. That said, the half-dozen brownie recipes and the technique she describes for producing the fudgiest fudgy brownies I've ever encountered (and I live for new brownie recipes) are fabulous.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfection, March 28, 2002
This review is from: Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies (Paperback)
I bought this book because Ms. Medrich did a presentation at the bookstore where I worked. Needless to say, the "samples" she brought were devoured in minutes.
Following her careful, yet simple, instructions and tips, will make for wonderful cookies and brownies. These are the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made, and I have tried several recipes, and the apricot/lemon bars were also a big hit. I am going to make several of the recipes here for Easter sunday with the family, and I am confident that they will be well received.
Ms. Medrich's other cookbooks are on my wish list because her recipes are to me, the standard in dessert making.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best cookie book, May 11, 2001
By A Customer
I am an experienced baker (and cookie eater) and believe this is the best cookie book ever. I appreciate the specific directions, such as whether to line the pan with parchment or foil, whether to melt the butter or cream it, how to incorporate the dry ingredients, and the "secret" technique for fantastic brownies. I also like the background section about ingredients and equipment. Alice has done her homework, and this book, although small, is full of great recipes and information.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Superb, March 9, 2003
This review is from: Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies (Paperback)
Don`t let the size of the book bellie its weight in gold. Most recipes have variations so its actually more than the over 100 pages. I had so much successwith the first recipe that i could not wait to try all the rest and they were all superb (especially the mexican wedding cakes that melts in the mouth with a pecanish taste lingering in your mouth) The recipes are really simple due to precise instructions and for a number of them, you just need a saucepan...less work, less clean-up and a thumbs-up for a good cookie. If you're like me and want minimal fuss and maximum taste, read this book. This is the only book i use for chocolate chip cookies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Classics, April 16, 2001
By A Customer
At initial blush, I thought the book was a little pricey for around 50 recipes. But was the money well invested. The recipes do not stray from the mainstream, but the techniques are different and worked beautifully. The white choc/oatmeal recipe was worth the price alone. This is the book I grab when I need reliable and really tastey cookies that everyone will like.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies
Alice Medrich's Cookies and Brownies by Alice Medrich (Paperback - Oct. 2001)
Used & New from: $11.59