4.0 out of 5 stars Alice of legend
There's a girl in a blue dress, a Queen of Hearts, and a a magical looking glass that whisks the heroine into a surreal Wonderland.

Published on December 22, 2009 by E. A Solinas

3.0 out of 5 stars A different take on the story
The movie apparently was produced in England, some aspects are somewhat silly -like the villain and the flying flamingo craft- but the take on the Mad Hatter and Alice was interesting. Don't expect much but it is okay for the price.
Published 2 months ago by askmv

4.0 out of 5 stars Alice of legend, December 22, 2009
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)

But beyond that, don't expect this SyFy miniseries to have much in common with Lewis Carroll's classic novel, "Alice in Wonderland." Instead, "Alice" is a whole different animal -- a deliciously gritty sci-fi adventure filled with action, romance, monsters psychedelic horrors, and a revolution against a drug-peddling queen. It's a little silly, but still immensely entertaining.

Alice's (Caterina Scorsone) dinner date with her boyfriend Jack (Philip Winchester) falls apart when he offers her an heirloom ring. When she chases after him, she sees him being dragged off by some suit-wearing thugs -- and promptly trips THROUGH a looking glass. Of course she ends up in Wonderland, a world of grimy urban ruins and art deco casinos. And it's ruled by the Queen of Hearts (Kathy Bates), a ruthless tyrant who keeps her populace drugged with emotions from kidnapped "oysters" (ordinary humans).

Alice ends up following the eccentric Hatter (Andrew-Lee Potts), who offers to take her to the Resistance -- but when they get there, they discover that Jack's ring is actually the Stone of Wonderland (which powers the transdimensional Looking Glass). Since everybody in Wonderland wants the Stone, Hatter and Alice end up on the run from both the Resistance and the Queen's assassin Mad March. Alice is still determined to rescue Jack and return home, but she soon finds that her boyfriend isn't quite what she thought -- and that one of her loved ones is the Queen's brainwashed slave.

The whole idea behind "Alice" is that Carroll's story was real, and that Wonderland has become a very different place in the last 150 years -- crumbling smoky cities, insectile airships, bunny-headed cyborg assassins, and a pair of sadistic interrogators called Dr. Dum and Dr. Dee. It's a far darker, more complex affair than Carroll's books, and that's what makes it so brilliant.

There's plenty of sci-fi action and chaotic battle scenes, including aerial chases, bombing runs and the occasional attack from the grotesque Jabberwock; and the writers keep the complex plot flowing along nicely. But they also keep the story grounded with a love triangle between Alice, Jack and Hatter, as well as Alice's quest to free the oysters and a long-lost family member. And there's just enough humor to keep it from being excessively grim ("We don't have to use a user manual, do we? I HATE user manuals").

Problems? A few of the homages (the grinning cat, the "drink me" bottle) are pretty superfluous, and the siege of skeletal soldiers is kind of silly (especially the "Hit them with everything we've got").

Scorsone makes an excellent modern Alice -- intelligent, capable and capable of butt-kicking her way out, but still vulnerable and young ("You don't remember me!"). Potts makes a deliciously quirky, sexily disheveled Hatter, and Frewer rounds out the main trio as a mildly insane White Knight. Winchester and Colm Meaney are also excellent, Tim Curry is brilliant but underused, and Kathy Bates absolutely rules as the casually cruel, petulant Queen. And yes, she does say "off with his head!"

I don't know what beloved children's story will get reworked next, but "Alice" does a great job with Lewis Carroll's classic novel -- lots of action, a touch of romance, and just enough surreality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Alice, LOVE Andrew Lee's Hatter even more!!, December 8, 2009

Summary: So this Alice is a martial arts butt-kicker. She meets Jack who slips her a ring and once Jack is abducted Alice follows, thus leading to her falling down the "rabbit hole" or the looking glass. Once there she meets Hatter who wants to help her find her way home. As she learns more about Wonderland and their emotion-extracting economy, her life becomes endangered when the Queen of Hearts orders for Alice's capture. The Queen ultimately wants the ring Alice recieved from Jack to power the looking glass. Along Alice's journey to find Jack, she also meets The White Knight who accompanys the duo to the Casino(where the captured humans are extracted) while also running away from the Queen's men: White Rabbit and the Suits. Quite an adventure.

Okay back to characters: I must say the acting is top-notch, so great for SyFy to get these incredibly talented actors. First Caterina Scorsone as Alice is amazing and this is my first time watching her, but I am really impressed by her acting. The White Knight(Matt Frewer who is another great star who works perfectly in Alice) is there for some comical parts, and very fun to watch too. Kathy Bates as the Queen, I get what I expected knowing her previous work. The whole cast, Tim Curry, Phillip Winchester, Colm Meaney, etc. is great but the one person that MADE it for me is Andrew Lee Potts as the Mad Hatter. Cute, funny, adorable and most of all he is the one character you can sympathize with (also watch him in the sci-fi show Primeval!) I mean he practically steals every scene he is in. Pott's Hatter is so likable opposite of Scorsone's skeptical Alice that I would watch this just to see the two of them and their <spoiler> romance! He really surprised me with his fun cool side yet it was his sensitive and "mushy side" that just left me wanting more. Now I am curious to see Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter...

The SyFy series Tin Man, was a similar miniseries that I saw a few years back(not sure how long) but I really enjoyed the show and the concept behind it. Alice is much like Tin Man, since it is by the same people, but I think it is slightly better and less gloomy.

The cinematography is also perfect, many beautiful scenes but some might have something to say about the CGI. It kind of bothered me that the CG wasn't too amazing but considering it is SyFy, that is just a very miniscule issue and never took away from the show itself. The small attention to details is exceptional too, if you pay attention you can tell how amazing the level of depth is- from the clothing to the buildings.

Basically the show is fun, bizarre, unique and a truly fantastic adventure. I highly recommend a watch.
One last note: the ending ROCKED! and did I already mention how awesome Hatter was....

Edit: dvd release March 2, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars SyFy "Alice", December 27, 2009
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)
This "Alice" is certainly NOT for the children of the household! This is not a tarted-up Disney movie. There is violence, drug references, war, intrigue, abductions and a lot more you really don't want to have to explain to your younger offspring. (Or have them have to explain to YOUR parents.)
I was truly awed by the show. The physical sets were very well-crafted and remarkably realistic in the CGI scenes. The story was gripping and very plausible for a fantasy tale. The many references to "Alice's Adventures In Wonderland" were often very subtle (see how many of you can find the "Mock Turtle" on the first try... (hint: look for a little lady and a BIG gun!)). Some were patently obvious and unnecessary to drive the story. Others were a name-only reference to a character from the stories, like the Dodo.
There were some unanswered questions and some plot holes in the story line, but the story moves so fast you may not even notice until after the program is over.
All in all, "Alice" is very entertaining and worth owning. I enjoyed it so much that I pre-ordered it the moment I found out the release date!

5.0 out of 5 stars HATTER, December 9, 2009
I'm using my boyfriend's account to post this review. He's a big Alice In Wonderland fan. It was never really my thing. Much like with Wizard of Oz I always got upset as a kid that it took them so long to get home. I grudgingly agreed to watch this movie with him but ended up enjoying it way more than he did. The main reason being the character Hatter. As another reviewer said, "The whole cast is great but the one person that MADE it for me is Andrew Lee Potts." His Hatter was quirky and adorable. You like him from the moment he's introduced on screen and you fall in love with him as the story unfolds. I love the romance aspect that was thrown in. I can't wait until this is released on DVD. In the meantime it will remain on my DVR lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Satisfying, Brilliant Acting, December 9, 2009
First off, if you're expecting an adaptation of the classic children's story, you're not going to get it. This a more of a spin off. It's an entirely new story based in Wonderland with a woman who happens to be named Alice, but is not the original. So what did I think over all?

STELLAR CAST AND ACTING - Caterina Scorsone just shines as Alice. She strikes a perfect balance between appearing independent and well adjusted while showing hints of vulnerability and fear that have arisen from a past event. Her emotions were pure and her dialogue very natural. She did an excellent job.

Andrew-Lee Potts as "Hatter" commanded the screen whenever he was on. The chemistry between him and Alice was some of the best I've seen in a while. It rang completely true and had me filled with anticipation all movie long for something more to happen. Andrew-Lee Potts is an incredible actor and also very easy on the eyes. If you want some excellent suspenseful romance, this is the movie for you!

There are too many other great actors too name. Truly, all of the acting was brilliant in this film.

SPECIAL EFFECTS - They aren't the greatest special effects. but when you consider that they're part of a low budget movie...erm...a low budget, SCI-FI movie at that, they're not too shabby. I love this modern take on Wonderland with it's mix of trashy urban high rises and spectacular countryside.

PLOT - If you're looking for a deep thinker, you won't find too much to ponder on here. Sure, a prominent feature of this movie is social commentary about the dangers of seeking instant gratification but it's sort of minimized by the strange measures with which it is achieved. There are certainly many interesting questions that arise during viewing about Wonderland itself, but unfortunately many of those questions are not answered. I don't know if the writer's didn't know how to answer them or if there simply wasn't enough time. Although the movie didn't feel rushed to me, I would have loved for it to be longer and more thorough in addressing some glaring plot holes. One is left to speculate just a little too much on this and that at the end. But perhaps it's more fun that way?

SUMMARY - To me, this movie is mostly about the growth of characters and that's why I loved it so much. We see Alice coming to trust deeply for the first time in a very long time, Hatter who learns that doing the right thing is more important than doing the safe thing and a knight who finds the courage to finally make things right. This movie strikes a good balance between character growth, romance, quirkiness, humor and action. It's enough to overlook any other faults. It will leave you grinning from ear to ear. It is one that I know I'll watch over and over again and I can't wait to purchase it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cast is worth the buy!, December 26, 2009
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)
I know i made a review of Alice before but I just wanted to say the cast alone makes this dvd a must-buy.
I believe the dvd will be released in March 2010.

So I never really got into the whole Alice in Wonderland story, to tell the truth, I was actually terrified with the story as a child. Anyways Alice is a wonderful and refreshing take on the well known classic and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. I watched it at about midnight, skimming through the channels until I came across it and for some reason I was hooked at once. Alice is portrayed as a kickass fighting heroine, that's quite different and the story/plot was so exciting and new, I don't want to give it away but there is some interesting bits added to the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, must-own movie, September 17, 2010
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)
I rented this movie on a whim from Netflix, not really knowing what to expect. This movie was so incredibly good- I found myself wishing it would never end. The plot was great, the twists on the original story were original and clever, and I absolutely fell in love with Hatter. That character is by far the best out of all of them in this movie, and they are ALL great, and very well played. I saw it once, obsessed about it for months, and am now buying it off Amazon. If you love quirky, clever movies, you will love this movie!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Alice of legend, December 27, 2009
This review is from: Alice (2009 Miniseries) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll sound a trumpet for this, January 25, 2010
Hidden_Voice81 (Castaic, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)
Yes, I loved it. Let me count the reasons why I loved it. Kathy Bates as the Queen of Hearts was styled beautifully. I love that her costumes weren't over the top or incredibly silly. She looked lovely and I thanked god for the minimalism. As all will trumpet, Hatter will get to you. He had me the moment he turned around. Andrew Lee Potts took the roll and made it memorable. And as the other reviewers would profess, he's not bad to look at either. Harry Dean Stanton as the Catepillar was a welcome little surprise, and Matt Frewer as the White Knight echoed Don Quixote in my mind, which made his character ever endearing and hilarious and show stealing. Plus, the Jack of Hearts as a blondie... pretty cute too. The only thing I had to do a double take on was Alice's fear of heights which magically appears only AFTER she meets Hatter and he promises to take her to Dodo. Apparently all that running around up high before hand never allowed the idea of fear to pop into her head, so I'll let that indiscretion slide. It just felt awkward to have her suddenly afraid of heights where it hadn't been introduced before. Even after she was a captured Oyster. If you haven't seen this yet, you'll see what I mean when you do. Worthy of purchasing. Enjoyed this much more than Tin-Man which had a lackluster ending and creepy daddy touchy feely on daughter moments. And yes... yes... I will admit it, the ending to 'Alice' touched that feminine girly spot inside me. Plus her mother's face was priceless. Would have loved to see her try and explain that to mom in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Alice" rocks!, May 9, 2011
This review is from: Alice (TV Miniseries) (DVD)
This is a fantastic twist on the classic tale. The sharp color contrasts and fantastic landscapes makes this movie a feast for the eyes. Another feast for the eyes is 'Hatter', one of the allies that Alice picks up along the way. You see all your favorite Wonderland characters in a fresh, new light. I even watched the entire film with the commentary, which now makes the story even more fun and interesting. (I never watch commentaries.) The only inconsistancy that bugs me is when Alice first goes through the looking glass. She lands in the hospital, but in all subsequent scenes with the looking glass the portal opens up into a large transit lobby. Otherwise this is a fun and entertaining film suitable for the entire family.

Alice (2009 Miniseries) [Blu-ray]
Alice (2009 Miniseries) [Blu-ray] by Nick Willing (Blu-ray - 2010)
$19.99 $10.57