5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!!!
Finally after years of waiting, fans (and children of the 80s) can finally take home the fondly-remembered 1985 two-part television musical production of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, produced by Irwin Allen and featuring just about every single showbusiness personality of the time.

Published on May 28, 2006 by Byron Kolln

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy is Here on Amazon
Don't be fooled by the sellers on ebay promoting the repackage of this video for $21.00 - $30.00. This DVD does contain BOTH episodes of Wonderland and Looking Glass. (Took me foreeeever to find that out! Make sure you see a photo of the two Chess Queens on the back.) You will get a nice deal here on Amazon! This is a cute video with lots of performances by several...
Published on December 23, 2008 by O. Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!!!, May 28, 2006
Byron Kolln (the corner where Broadway meets Hollywood) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (DVD)

Part One opens with Alice (played winningly by Natalie Gregory) wishing she was old enough to enjoy afternoon tea with all of the grownups. After going down to the lake she spies a White Rabbit (Red Buttons), follows him down a rabbit-hole and into a kaleidoscope of colour and fantasy. Alice meets many wonderful characters like the Caterpillar (Sammy Davis Jr.), the Duchess and her eccentric cook (Martha Raye and Imogene Coca), the Mad Hatter (Anthony Newley), the Mock Turtle (Ringo Starr) and the Cheshire Cat (Telly Savalas). Finally after a brush with the head-chopping Queen of Hearts (Jayne Meadows), Alice escapes, only to discover she is in fact trapped on the wrong side of the mirror.

Part Two finds Alice now somehow in Looking-glass Land, which is actually a giant chess-game. In order to win the game and hopefully return home, Alice must make it to the eighth square of the board. On her way Alice meets many more wondrous characters like Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee (Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme), the Red Queen (Ann Jillian), the White Queen (Carol Channing), the White King (Harvey Korman) and the White Knight (Lloyd Bridges). But throughout her journey Alice is terrorised by the scary Jabberwocky dragon which thrives on fear. Alice must conquer her fears of the Jabberwocky if she is ever to return home...

Famous for star-studded films of the 70s like "The Poseidon Adventure" and "The Towering Inferno", producer Irwin Allen made sure the cast of this spectacular ALICE IN WONDERLAND featured just about every single showbusiness veteran and notable of the day. It would have been easy for Natalie Gregory to have become overwhelmed or overshadowed by her cavalcade of co-stars but the appealing young actress holds her own and gives a very solid performance, though it must be noted that her singing was in fact dubbed by another little girl called Lara Beeson. The musical numbers, written by legendary host Steve Allen (who also appears as the Paper Suit Man during Part Two), are all very fine and perfect for the characters but the best number by far is the beautiful ballad "Emotions", delivered by Ann Jillian in a tear-inducing rendition.

Children of the 80s remember this version with a lot of nostalgia, and it's so lovely to think we can now introduce this gem to our own children.

THE COMPLETE CAST LIST:

Part One (Alice in Wonderland)
Sheila Allen.......Mother
George Savalas...........Courtier
Telly Savalas.............Cheshire Cat
Ringo Starr............Mock Turtle
Shelley Winters...........Dodo Bird

Part Two (Through the Looking Glass)
Steve Allen.............Gentleman in the Paper Suit

TECHNICAL DETAILS:
Single-sided, dual-layer disc
Keep case
Audio: 2-channel stereo
Subtitles: French (English closed-captioned)

5.0 out of 5 stars OH MY GOD!, January 25, 2000
U know.....it's so weird to read everyone else's reviews and find that so many people had the same problem as me 8) I saw this movie when I was very young, my mom had taped it for me, and I'd watched it everyday! But unfortunately my dad thought the Miami Hurricanes was a more important thing to have on tape and thus recorded over it. That's when I was in 3rd grade. Here it is, 12 years later and I've finally found the version I was looking for. It was impossible to find and no one else I know has even heard of this version. If u want to see this movie, order it now, cause I know first hand that it's impossible to find anywhere else. It's and excellent movie and u will not be disappointed! It was my favorite movie whne I was younger, and this version is 300Xs better than the Disney version. Your children will probably like this one better. It includes mnay scenes not shown in other versions. There's the scene with the baby that turns into a pig, the scene where the woman turns into a lamb, a train scene, 2 different characters telling the story of the Walrus and the Carpenter, the scene with the unicorn and lion with the cake, a scene with Humpty Dumpty, and the best scene of all, the JABBERWOCKY!
This movie is great, I don't know why it's so hard to find. But it will definately spark a whole new universe to a child's imagination. I can't wait til it gets to my house!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!! THE BEST version of this MASTERPIECE is out on DVD!!, July 28, 2006
Joy (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (DVD)
I can't believe it! God has answered my prayers for a DVD release of this masterpiece! I have waited so long, so long for this to come out on DVD! I own it on VHS but I was afraid I was going to have to have it transferred to DVD but now I don't have to!

Back in the 80's when I was about 7 or 8 years old, this 2 part movie came on TV and we recorded it, of course it was on Beta back then. I totally fell in love with this movie. After I only saw it once or twice, I wasn't able to see it again for the longest time because my family lost the tape and TV never showed it. So I was wanting it for years and finally in the late 90's, like 98 or 99, I just happened to look in the Disney store and saw both Alice In Wonderland (1985) and Alice Through The Looking Glass (1985) and I bought them right away. They were on VHS but it doesn't really matter because I love them so much. To this day, at 27 years old, I still love this 2 part film and never get bored of it.

I have watched many other versions of Alice In Wonderland and no other version has had an Alice as good as Natalie Gregory or a white rabbit as good as Red Buttons. Even Ringo Starr is in this version. I totally love that rabbit costume and back in the 80's, you can tell, or at least I can tell how much work the director put into this film. Since 1985, other versions haven't shown as much detail and work like this version has. Even the roses in the rose garden looks real. The set design is just amazing and the actors performances are truly magnificent! This is the ULTIMATE version of Alice In Wonderland and Alice Through The Looking Glass! I am just so happy to be able to own this on DVD soon because my tapes have gotten a lot of use in the last 5 or 6 years. If you own any Alice In Wonderland, own this 2 part one because this one puts every other version to shame!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite movies of all time!!!!!, May 10, 2005
Joy (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews

I have watched many other versions of Alice In Wonderland and no other version has had an Alice as good as Natalie Gregory or a white rabbit as good as Red Buttons. That Jabberwocky used to scare me back then also. Even Ringo Starr is in this version. I totally love that rabbit costume and back in the 80's, you can tell, or at least I can tell how much work the director put into this film. Since 1985, other versions haven't shown as much detail and work like this version has. Even the roses in the rose garden looks real. I do hope one day, they will release this 2 part masterpiece on DVD because my tapes have gotten a lot of use in the last 5 or 6 years. If you own any Alice In Wonderland, own this 2 part one because this one puts every other version to shame!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: This VHS tape is only half the movie., November 27, 2000
C O (Belton, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This movie is a two-parter: the first being Alice in Wonderland (1985), and the next Alice Through the Looking Glass (1985). I wish Amazon would state this in the descriptions. Both are available to buy at Amazon, just do a search. There are lots of Alice in Wonderland versions, the one with (1985) by it is the one that goes with Alice Through the Looking Glass - and vice versa. Why they don't sell these two VHS tapes together, I do not know.
I purchased Alice Through the Looking Glass unaware that it wasn't the entire movie, and was terribly disappointed after watching it, as it wasn't as I remembered. After a bit of online searching, I found out that Alice Through the Looking Glass is just the second part of the movie. So I bought the first, and it finally morphed into the movie I had remembered.
On another note, I'd love to see this movie on DVD. It is, by far, the best version of Alice in Wonderland made to date. Whimsical, zany, and definitely entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about time!!, July 15, 2006
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (DVD)
Children of the 80's, CELEBRATE!!!! This was the best version ever (in my opinion) of the classic tale of Alice in Wonderland. As a child back then, you weren't too aware of the wonderful star studded cast that appeared in the movie, although now you're wowed by it. What got me was the colorful characters and great music. I still remember all the great songs such as "Shake Hands" which was sung by Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, and "Nonsence".

Like everyone seems to have done, I too taped it off tv when it was on in the 80's and have since worn through my VHS copy. I am so THRILLED that it is finally coming out on DVD. I can't wait to get my copy, grab a bowl of popcorn and sing along to some of my favorite songs. Even my mom can't wait!

If you have never seen this version, please do yourself the favor and invest in this dvd. You'll be glad you did.

8/3/06 - (Addition) - FYI for those of you who are looking to purchase it, this dvd has both part 1 (Alice in Wonderland) & part 2 (Alice Through the Looking Glass). If you buy it from Amazon you get it so quickly! Thanks to everyone at [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Irwin Allen's Intelligent Kid Fare, July 9, 2006
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (DVD)
Time Tunnel's Irwin Allen team with Steve Allen (no relation) to give an intelligent, family fare version of Alice In Wonderland. It is too bad neither are still with us to see this wonderful show to DVD

This all star Celebrity Alice is slightly Disneyed, however that is also the witty charm of this piece. It does not act like a LOVE BOATish Alice, but a way for adult and children alike to enjoy this version of Alice.

Having reviewed my old VHS copy, i smiled at some of these stars like Telly Salvalas, Sammy Davis jr, Lloyd Bridges and writer Steve Allen all in top acting form. I cant wait for the DVD to savor this production again

Bennet Pomerantz, AUDIOWORLD

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical! Mystical! Beautiful!, June 2, 2006
This review is from: Alice in Wonderland (DVD)
I am a film buff with over 2000 films in my collection, including 17 versions of Alice In Wonderland dating back to 1915. Not only is this version the best Alice In Wonderland I've ever seen and the best TV movie I've ever seen, but it also ranks unbelievably in my top 10 favorite movies of ALL time (tv or big-screen releases). Yeah . . . it's that good! FINALLY . . . the DVD's on it's way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Waiting For, January 4, 2001
I have been looking for this version of Alice and Wonderland for quite a while. It is the best version ever put to video. The cast is amazing. There is no way anyone could get a cast this talented and diverse into a TV movie today. I watched it so much when I was a kid, I wore the tape out! It was a little scary to a 7 year old, but well worth it. This is the second part to the 2 part series, so you have to buy both to get the full "Alice experience".

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Alice, October 26, 1999
G H "G" (Haddonfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
When I was five, I saw this on tv for the first time and was enthralled. For me, this is the ultimate Alice Through the Looking Glass--so many stars, so many songs and so like the actual story till the end. I've looked for it everywhere but until today it was only a memory. Now I can't wait till it comes in the mail. We had taped it off of tv on a Beta tape years ago but lost the second half so now I can't wait to own it! If you've read the book or have only heard of our Alice, this is the movie to see.

Alice in Wonderland
Alice in Wonderland by Harry Harris (DVD - 2006)
$14.99 $9.15