Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Aliens (Special Edition) forum

Aliens Director's Cut... what are your thoughts?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011 12:49:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 12:55:37 PM PDT
Just out of curiosity, does anyone else think that the "Director's Cut" version of Aliens is actually a far weaker film? I know a lot of people like it, mostly because of those automated machine guns, but do they make up for how badly the pacing gets muddled?

The introduction to Newt's family and the banter scenes between the colonists... sure, they're interesting to look at once, for that glimpse of what life on LV426 was supposed to look like, but doesn't it seem irrelevant? I mean, once we know that Newt's father brought back an Alien (and what an odd coincidence that is), there is zero mystery and little suspense when the Marines land and investigation the abandoned Colony.

The scenes showing Ripley's emotional backstory... they were handled well but didn't they also seem a bit much? I mean, the writing is certainly believable but how much does it add to Ripley's character? We come to understand the ferocity of her maternal instincts later through the events of the film, we don't need to know that they stem from such a specifically melodramatic personal tragedy. Not only that, but I kind of find her intense need to save Newt just a bit creepy now that I have to connect it with the loss of Ripley's biological daughter. I mean, suddenly Ripley's actions aren't just heroic, but can be understood as stemming from emotional transference. Of course, this has always been the case, but now it's just too obvious.

Hudson's big "ultimate bada**" speech during the drop is utterly terrible. Hudson is a complete goofball, and the lines are so bad that I wanted to cringe from embarrassment. Originally they were a group of sci-fi space marines that somehow seemed mostly professional and surprisingly believable. Sure, Hudson always had wiseacre remarks, but they never seemed unnatural. Unfortunately the added lines completely push this tendency way over the top by making him (and by extension, the other marines) seem vapid, over-confident and irritating. The squad would end up being quickly decimated later on in the film, did Cameron really want the audience to see them as incompetent idiots from the start? Talk about ruining the surprise.

And finally, back to those automated machine guns... what can I say about those? Sure, it's a neat technological idea, but they just kind of sit there. In the movie, all we see is a bunch of shooting and smoke. The aliens are only hinted at, and the cast just sort of sit around staring at the screens. It extends the amount of time we spend waiting for the third act to start (or for it to get moving if you want to argue that act 3 started earlier). Ignoring the sci-fi military fantasy stuff, is really is just a boring scene that adds nothing. Anyone else agree?

Aliens (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)

Posted on May 6, 2011 8:43:18 AM PDT
For the most part, yes I agree with your comments...IF this had been the theatrical cut. I actually thought the way this cut was presented was quite brilliant; a small unobtrusive marker in the corner to denote the added scenes. "Alien" is my fourth-all-time-favorite film, so this sequel had some interest for me. I am more-or-less a purist, so I demand the theatrical cut of a film on DVD; on the OTHER hand, I am also a completeist, so I feel that the OPTION of watching the extended cut does present some entertainment value.

"[O]nce we know that Newt's father brought back an Alien, there is zero mystery": granted, but then again, doesn't anyone watching the movie pretty much know there are going to be xenomorphs? Again, yes, this section would have been completely unnecessary in a theatrical cut. I enjoyed seeing more of the planet exteriors, regardless.

"Ripley's emotional backstory": completely agree with your insightful comments. I think this scene was just re-inserted to see the picture of Weaver's mother (who played Ripley's elderly daughter in the still photo).

"Hudson's big speech": egads, I barely remember this part. I must have found it inconsequential!

"[T]hose automated machine guns": we are definitely in the same camp on that section! Like a casual stroll through the LaBrea tarpits.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 9:03:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2011 9:08:50 AM PDT
I am totally with you when you say that, as a completeist, the option of watching the extended cut does have value. I agree with this for a number of reasons, and like you said the planet exteriors and extra shots of machinery are fun. That's why I made sure to purchase the Special Edition that has both versions.

Now, according to Wikipedia, the "Alien Quadrillogy" Box Set does indeed contain both versions, but when I watched the disc I'd swear it only had the "Special Edition," which led me to worry about future Dvd and BluRay releases. Maybe my concern is wholly unjustified, but I'd hate to see Aliens turn out like the original Star Wars Dvd releases- where only the new "improved" version is officially sanctioned by its publishers.

**Edit- On double checking, the version I was watching was from the "Alien Legacy" set, which does only include the Special Director's Cut of Aliens.**

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 1:36:19 PM PDT
rtyytee says:
I liked the automated machine gun scene. The fact that the ammunition was running low created the suspense. It is my favorite added scene to Aliens. It also helped to illustrate just how relentless the aliens were in their aggression. It didn't take up too much time in my opinion. That colonist scene had too much Total Recall feel to it in it's cinematography. The acting was bad and I could live without a cleaned up, well fed Newt. The tragedy (this film is a total tragic masterpeice) is in wondering what life was like for her before all this. It is so much better left to the imagination.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2015 11:45:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2015 11:55:30 PM PDT
Snake Pisken says:
Jonathan D : You didn't get it ? why Ripley was so attached to Newt because Her daughter was the same age as Newt when she left in the first film and why Newt called Her Mommy at the end . The inhabitants on the planet before it got infested . I think you didn't like the film and that's cool you have your opinion.---RTYYTEE , yeah I agree with you on the automated guns , we knew there a lot of them since we saw the population was 158 when we saw the post before it was infested and when Newt Parents found the ship . So those guns took out most of them at the end they were only a handful left around the queen as Ripley took them out as She shot the eggs . I can only watch this version

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2015 1:03:53 PM PDT
You think I didn't like the film? Are you kidding me? I grew up watching Aliens, over and over again, on vhs back in the early 90s. Perhaps the reason I dislike the Director's Cut is simply because I pretty much have the theatrical cut memorized, so the additional scenes are jarring, and to me, completely unnecessary. Anyway, I appreciate your feedback on a 5 year old post I made. Haha!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2011
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Aliens [VHS]
Aliens [VHS] by Sigourney Weaver (VHS Tape - 1993)
4.7 out of 5 stars (1,185)