4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied
The system is a Dell Alienware. Considering the amount of money that you are paying, you expect things to work out of the box.
Most of it do. The build quality is very good and it looks sturdy.

However, there are some basic missing pieces that make this a paper weight [for me]

1. No CD/DVD eject button. The expectation is that you eject it...
Published 9 months ago by HappyGoLucky

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Advertised product descriptions
Product worked great except that it did not contain the NVIDIA graphics card as advertised. The design software I use cannot operate properly with normal graphics cards..... this bad advertisement of installed operating graphics is costing me major $ with delays and lost design projects.
Lesson learned..... Don't buy a computer from Amazon..... I should have just...
Published 6 months ago by Donald Miller

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, February 22, 2014
This review is from: Alienware ALW17-6877sLV 17-Inch Laptop (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor, 16GB DDR3L, 750GB HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Silver-Anodized Aluminum (Personal Computers)
Most of it do. The build quality is very good and it looks sturdy.

1. No CD/DVD eject button. The expectation is that you eject it within the OS. This is all fine until the OS is running. Say I have a CD inside the drive and the OS crashes [unable to boot]. How will I put my recovery CD in?

2. No WiFi Toggle switch: Again the expectation is that every time I boot into Windows, I need to toggle by pressing F-2 [Each time at reboot, the WiFi gets disabled for unknown reason]. The down-side is that I cannot map the function keys to multimedia [in the bios]. The second disadvantage is that These function keys are not recognized in Ubuntu. Consequently, I cannot enable WiFi in Linux!!

3. No driver support for Linux: I understand that the hardware runs Windows. However, only when I installed Ubuntu I realized that the components have been specifically chosen to not run Linux. Ethernet DOES NOT WORK in Linux. You cannot blame Ubuntu for this. Ubuntu supports a wide range of components, but Alienware goes out of its way to choose an esoteric, unsupported models just to force us to use only Windows.

4. My primary purpose was not gaming. But, to make use of the GPU and learn CUDA programming. My code-base is entirely written in Linux. Its too much work to make it all work in Windows.

Summary: Lesson learnt! Build Your Own BOX. Never Buy Laptops.

Update:

Finally, I was able to get the WiFi/Ethernet and the Video drivers working on a Special Kernel by following instructions on this site: [...]. It was Fedora 20, that made the installation of the OS a breeze.

The WiFi driver is not up-to mark, but it works. I upgraded the review to 4****.

5.0 out of 5 stars IN-Freaking-Sane, February 13, 2014
Best 17" Laptop ever! But then again what else could you expect from an alienware. This is my fav. Laptop ever. As a computer consultant, I have used many laptops and a few Alienware Laptops - When DELL bought Alienware way back when I had decided to wait a year or two to see if the laptops were still the same quality... The 1 nand only thing that I could even say was semi-bad was you no longer have the option of having the bottom engraved and the build your own options are almost only just software, but even the base models are super fast and just insane. This thing will handle anything from the Full time (Hardcore) games to the Graphic Designer. Photoshop loves it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my son's Christmas, January 12, 2014
I was nervous getting this for my gaming straight A student son, but he was impressed. All he had to do was purchase a cooler running solid state hard drive and insert it in place of the hard drive which came with the laptop (which he slid over and now has a terabyte of storage) and he had the perfect gaming laptop computer. It is so much faster than his 4 year old Toshiba, within one weekend of gaming he advanced several levels.....happy son, happy mom!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, Far Superior to my ASUS Gaming Laptop. SSD and Windows 8.1 Upgrade With No Problems!, February 23, 2014
Hammerton (St. Petersburg, FL) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these for one of my boys and an ASUS Gaming Laption for the other. While it is not up the task of an equivalent gaming desktop it allows my 13 year old son to bring it to his friends on the weekend as well as have the power to run the tools for his education and school. He's plays a game on the weekend called League of Legends and it links to the LED lights in the laptop to show his health level and all of his friends are in awe of that feature.

I owned an Alienware 17 several years ago and was very disappointed in the quality of construction. While the newer ones look the same, they are light years ahead in quality build. I'm glad I gave the Alienware another shot, I'm a future buyer of there products and recommend them to my son's parents.

This one did come with a 7200RPM drive and the ASUS was 5400. I don't think gaming laptops should come with 5400RPM drives because they are so slow but I added a 256GB solid state drive to both of them. They both can hold two drives and I highly recommend this upgrade.

One last thing, this does come with Windows 7. I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 with no problems, there are drivers for all the hardware. I'm a professor of computer science and over the last few months I have been learning the in's and out's of Windows 8.1. While I was a hater for several years, I can attest that Windows 8.1 has definitely been a benefit in my family but that's another review altogether.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware of Advertised product descriptions, May 13, 2014
Lesson learned..... Don't buy a computer from Amazon..... I should have just bought it direct from Dell; at least they would have replaced it with the correct operating system/graphics card etc without charging me to return.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, February 21, 2014
I'm a person that requires a relatively high-end computer. I decided to buy an Alienware after my ASUS's HDD crashed. ASUS produces excellent computers, and I have no complaints with them. I did, however, want something new. And let me tell you, I do not regret the decision! Everything I've thrown at it is handled flawlessly, and the cute LED's all throughout the system look amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., March 16, 2014
Great product, great shipping, fast service. definitely worth the price, it is worth $2000. It is definitely worth the full price however and I couldnt be happier with this purchase. I wish it has blu-Ray player

5.0 out of 5 stars No overheating issues..., July 24, 2014
Nothing bad to say about the laptop. After reading all the reviews online I expected this thing to go up in flames from all the heat issues. I can play games for hours just fine(COD/Battlefield). If you have a job and can't dedicate 20 hours a day to try to overheat this thing you'll be fine. I love this laptop!

5.0 out of 5 stars for what i use it is great. (Dota 2, September 22, 2014
I ordered the computer 5 months ago and its just what i expected. I use it for school and gaming and it does the job perfectly.
I have to admit that the gaming i use it for is nothing extreme or something that demands the computer to use all its capacity, however, for what i use it is great. (Dota 2, Diablo 3, Borderlands 2, etc)
For school is more that enough of course, i ordered as well the Microsoft Office student version and it runs with no problems.
The computer is expensive, i manage to order it for $1700 and it has the intel core i7 4700MQ, 16gb of RAM, and the Full HD 17 inches screen. I know that there are several ways of making your own PC for less but if you are lazy or you just love how gorgeous the laptop looks it worth it.
The laptop itself looks beautiful and it couldn't look better, even after 5 months i find it gorgeous.
Amazon did a great job in packaging and delivering mine. it came on the Alienware box, inside a Dell box and that came on an Amazon box full of the air bags Amazon usually uses.
I am more that happy with my buy and even though i tried buying it from Dell, they didn't accept credit cards that weren't from within the US. Buying it from Amazon was so EASY that i didn't even notice i just bought the laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, February 18, 2014
very cheap,and nice, but i don't like this keyboard .too soft.if you have enough money ,buy 18. GPU will be better

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›