4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome but...
Published on March 2, 2012 by Shawn Walters

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE Customer Service
Published on June 8, 2012 by J. Century

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome but..., March 2, 2012
This review is from: Alienware AM18X-8636BK 18-Inch Laptop (Space Black) (Personal Computers)
The m18x is an awesome machine. But the biggest reason people choose the m18x over the m17x is the ability to have dual GPU (and 1" inch extra screen). This model does not offer a dual GPU, so keep that in mind. Another thing to keep in mind, this thing is HUGE. Literally you won't be able to lift it with one hand. You can carry it with one, but it's big and heavy. Heat dissipation is excellent on it. Thing never got hot. In the end I ended up returning this for a m17x. Btw, Amazon rocks!

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE Customer Service, June 8, 2012
J. Century (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
I thought you might want to know about a customer service nightmare I'm having with the Alienware Solution Station. My son is 13 and saved up to buy his Alienware M18x. He had a problem and tried to resent to factory settings and made a mistake. His bad...should have looked on line for instructions first. Still, we called Alienware and asked for help. For a fee, they said they would take care of it.

That was five weeks ago. Fourteen phone calls later. Four technician appointments - three of which had NO technician show up. First, they did the basic re-install. However, they couldn't get the wireless card to work and came to the obviously incorrect conclusion there was something wrong with the wireless card (it was working fine before we called them). I waited for a technician a few days later. He showed up, replaced the wireless card and it still didn't work. I called back. They worked on the software some more (remotely) and still couldn't fix the wireless. So, they decided that the replacement wireless card was bad and needed to be replaced again.

I received two confirmation calls from Dell but the technician never showed. When I called, I was told it was because the part was backordered. Nobody ever called to tell me (these are three hour time windows I'm waiting).

Then, two more confirmation calls for a couple days later. The technician never showed and lied about calling me and waiting 20 minutes. At that point I said that I wasn't going to wait again for a wireless card that was unnecessary in the first place. The Alienware support person asked what I wanted him to do - so I said I wanted him to fix the software. After about an hour, he did. He discovered that the technician who did the initial work (a month had passed at this point - and about 10 calls) did it incorrectly and nobody ever went back to check it. Then, however, it turns out we had a problem with graphics that we didn't have before.

He couldn't solve it and instead said that we needed a new graphics card. So, today, I waited again. I got two confirmation calls from Dell and the technician didn't show up. Again, because the part is on backorder, but nobody told me. So now, I've spent countless hours working with my son at times (of course, he has to go to school at some point), taking up time in my working day, and most of it wasted because the support people did the job incorrectly the first time, told me I needed parts I didn't need, and have on-site technicians who lie and don't call customers to tell them they aren't coming.

Today, I asked to talk to someone who might be interested in hearing about this. Tech support transferred me to customer service. They wanted to transfer me to tech support. Finally, I got the woman to understand that I thought they might want to know that their tech support has been terrible and their on-site technicians don't show up. She told me her manager would call me. Who is good for a bet that I don't hear a word?

So...I wait...with my frustrated kid...for the part that is on backorder and the technician who doesn't call and there's nothing I can do, except let other Alienware users know, just as a heads up. It may be a great notebook, but it's useless if my son can't use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, April 19, 2012
Feels great, very solid.

Put in a 2nd hd ssd.

Unit runs great.

Item plays all games great. I have a 2 560m sli version and had a great amount of fun. Took my unit apart to replace all the grease with arctic silver 5. Since i did that, the fans almost never go at full speed.

My config is i7 2860, 2 sli 560m, 256 gb ssd, 128 gb ssd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as expected., May 4, 2012
I got this for gaming purposes.
Weight wise, it is hardly practical to take around as a laptop.
It was great for gaming etc. until one night, smoke started coming out of it!
We did get good service, but the smoke was off putting.

5.0 out of 5 stars from kuwait with love, February 1, 2012
HAMAD RASHED AL QAOUD (kuwait-city, kuwait Kuwait) - See all my reviews
I ordered this laptop about a week ago and got it this sunday, i took the risk of buying a laptop from the US since we had different voltages since i live in kuwait but my fear was taken away and this laptop blew me away, In my opinion it had no cons up until now and it doesnt heat up quickly battery life is around 2 hours 30 mins fully charged, it comes with the quaser blue color when u power it up, the sound and graphics are really nice and i dont regret 1 bit of buying this amazing laptop, there is one thing wrong in the specifications when i ordered it, it turned out to be the intel i7-2670 but on the specifications it was the intel i7-2657 which is a minor mistake but the rest is all good ! you will not regret making this purchase trust me :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't you wish Alienware wasn't owned by Dell?!?!, July 1, 2014
First of all I loved alienware before dell bought it, many customisation options for your build, and for the most part everything universal. I had an old aurora desktop that I upgrade even to this day. DELL has a horrible customer support staff, and nobody is willing to help, if you have a question, they'll refer you to tech support, oh wait if you don't have an order number they can't help you. (Even if it's not troubleshooting related) then you go back to customer support and not one person gave me their supervisors name and number, not one. So that means there is no accountability. And to sum it all up, after 2 weeks of run around my question was simply why don't laptops have AMD options?

1.0 out of 5 stars worst company don't buy no support, May 17, 2012
bought this model 2 weeks ago does not work properly battery won't charge and cpu running at only 700mhz.

been on phone with them for basically 2 weeks and they play pass the buck.

no service no parts just endless idiocracy.

they don't care you paid 2grand

don't buy

can't play diablo 3 why I bought it.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:29:33 PM PDT
JB,

It appears you have purchased and poorly reviewed 4 different Alienware M18x systems from different suppliers. I am sorry you have run into so many problems but, I would suggest you check the seller's support policy prior to purchasing the system. In many cases, especially used, they have limited support policies in place. We have many customers that simply rave about Diablo 3 on the M18x's, so I know it is capable. I hope you find the system you are looking for.

-DonaldDforDell

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad computer, May 5, 2012
Do not buy this computer I had it for two days and now I found out that the motherboard is faulty. Sending back to Amazon for a refund I will never buy Alienware again

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:53:17 AM PDT
@Kyoshi89,
We apologize that your Alienware out of box experience was not perfect. This situation is not a normal one. If you do decide to choose to go with Alienware again, I recommend registering your product with Dell so that you can receive support (http://dell.to/oGXJDO). We would like the opportunity to try and correct any future concerns you may have. We have many avenues to help including email: AWCC-Resolution_Experts@Dell.com and the Alienware Dell Community Forum (http://dell.to/KZBaoK).

-SaraTforDell

3.0 out of 5 stars Over priced in my view, July 15, 2012
Hi guys.. im writting to tell you that i have an ALien wear mx18 must admit the PRICE they charge for this is insane..

YES it looks awesome.. and it is very very flashy.. but underneath..

really? 4gb of ram.. a Nvidia 660m?

for 1.650 you can get a 16gb ram with AMD 790m crossfire from samsung
with a 1.5 Tera H.D

its just.. amazing.. its like you are paying for the lighted Keyboard and finish of the product.. when the heart of the machine.. is nothing.. impressive at all.

I really dislike dell for this..

im giving it 4 stars because it does look awesome..
but if you really want a gaming machine.. my advice would to search around amazon.. and look at the specs.. of the other computers and then you will really see what.. a good price.. gaming machine is all about.

hope this helps guys

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:26:51 AM PDT
@Christian Madigan "tavio"

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the Dell Alienware m18X. Dell does charge a premium price for a premium machine. The chassis is very sturdy with a unique design that you cannot find anywhere else. This system is designed for gaming with the AlienFX System Lighting Technology and the Alienware Command Center- special features that you cannot get with any other system.
This system has desktop gaming power with laptop portability. An 18in display with WideFHD 1920 x 1080 WLED screen is ideal for a quality gaming experience. Don't forget, there are 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM with room to expand.

We appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you for choosing Dell.

-AnthonyAforDell

3.0 out of 5 stars Graphics driver, November 15, 2012
Hello, I bought on Amazon 18X computer some problems, can not install the graphics driver, housing some loose part, I would like to replace it