5.0 out of 5 stars Love it.
Published 14 months ago by Bacon

2.0 out of 5 stars For the price - you can probably get better
I picked up the alienware X-51 because I wanted a slim desktop computer that I can tuck away into a corner, but still have enough power to play the latest games. I saw this on sale after the new haswell processors came out, and while it's got solid CPU performance, the GPU performance is definitely lacking and you can probably buy something better for the money...
Published 17 months ago by Genryu

2.0 out of 5 stars For the price - you can probably get better, July 25, 2013
Genryu (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alienware AX51R2-9301BK Gaming Desktop (Personal Computers)

For general tasks: The computer itself will be more than enough for general productivity tasks - though it could benefit from the addition of an SSD at this pricepoint. It's kind of a pain to get into because of the small working space, but opens up easy enough for upgrades after the fact. If you aren't looking to play games though at 1080p then you can buy better/different/cheaper products for the price.

For gaming: This computer is a competent gaming machine and will handle some of the older and current titles at decent framerates and settings at 1920x1200/1920x1080. I tested this with a Dell U2410 monitor and it did well enough in about the 30's for framerates on games like Battlefield 3 and Starcraft 2. Though keep in mind that the Nvidia 660 GTX they offer is a cut-down version of the real-full powered GTX 660 because this Alienware has a 330W external power supply. What this means is that if you want to upgrade the GPU in the future, you'll need to make sure that it a) fits in the case (which the bigger cards do not), and b) is within the power-envelope the alienware can handle (which again, the bigger cards do not do). This means that your future upgrade potential is severely limited, which is why I would NOT recommend buying this alienware. There are better alternatives from other boutique companies that give you room to grow and better performance for the price.

If size is not an issue, then you can always buy some other dell like the 8700 and buy your own GPU to slot into it. That'll definitely be the better solution over something like this alienware which for the price is just not giving enough performance. I expect a 1k+ desktop to put out some fairly high framerates on today's games, and this Alienware can't do that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Constantly Blue Screened and Troubleshooting does nothing!, January 1, 2014
Straight out of the box it will not work! Whether I'm playing a Videogame or just browsing the web it constantly bluescreens to the point of being unusuable. I used the patented Alienware software called "Alien Autopsy" that comes pre-installed on the computer, and found that apparently the graphics card is causing it to crash. I followed all suggestions provided to me via the software and it has not fixed the problem! Next, I called tech support and now I have to not only register on the dell.com website, but also I have to transfer ownership AS IF I DON'T EVEN OWN THE COMPUTER THAT I JUST PAYED OVER 1200 DOLLARS FOR!!!

Bottom line: They gave me a defective model FOR NEARLY 1300 DOLLARS TOTAL! I am still in the process of maybe, possibly, perhaps fixing the problem. However, I am dangerously close to demanding a full refund for this model!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., October 4, 2013
POWER. That's all I have to say. For the size of this thing this is a great deal! The GTX660 GPU is strong enough to give you 30fps on high settings on Crysis 3! Tweak the graphics a bit and get even more fps. Great high middle range card. The CPU is the new Haswell CPU. It is extremely fast and has a built in Intel GPU as well so that your GTX660 is only used when needed. This computer is not as upgradable as a normal computer. You can add RAM or and SSD like I did and still keep the HDD. There are instructions online for this. The GTX660 is probably as high a graphics card as this computer will go. Maybe a GTX760 is possible but i'm not sure. I would recommend this as a console replacement or to save space in an apartment like I do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but runs like a champ, August 28, 2013
Needed this for limited dorm space and was pleasantly surprised. I can run farcry 3 at max graphics with at least 50 fps, only problem is the cooling it gets a bit hot but has never given me a problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from Dell, May 4, 2014
Got this Computer on Friday May 2 - 2014, the same afternoon the machine just kept shutting down, no warning or errors no blue screen, so I called Dell.... That's when things went really wrong,
Dell WILL NOT help you because you don't own the computer yet.
You have to do a owner transfer and according to their website it will take 10 - 15 business days.
Since I didn't get any help from Dell I thought I just reinstall from the CD that came with the computer. As it turned out the only thing on that CD is Windows 7.
Now my video card is not recognized by the computer ( which by the way was not a NVIDEA GTX 660, it has a AMD R9 270X in it)
I can't go online because there is no driver for the network card.
So right now I got a $1400 doorstop until Dell decides that they will help me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful machine, I tested it, August 18, 2013
Hunter (22 Knightbridge Road) - See all my reviews
I pick up this machine and feel comfortable with it. Because it's a powerful PC, fashion and stable in system running.

I run Photoshop, 3D max fluently in this machine. With 1.5Gb Graphic, 8Gb DIMM Ram and 3.4 Core i7 CPU, you can play the newest hardest game.
With over 1k Dollar, you can buy other systems with higher technical index, but you can not feel the stable like Alienware series PC.

Remember, If you are a designer or gamer, you should choose a right monitor to display the right pixel
I chose Asus monitor 23". Some time I watch movie in this system and no-word can say about that

For monitor:
B005BZNDS0

For PC with offer:
B00DN7ADIQ

5.1 PC Speaker
B0002SQ0AE

5.0 out of 5 stars Our whole barangay loves this gaming PC for our CnC Cafe' in the Philippines!, July 15, 2014
Our whole barangay loves this gaming PC for our CnC Cafe' in the Philippines yet did have a short lived hiccup.

The one we just bought has a AMD Radeon R9 270X NOT NVIDIA GTX 660 as advertised. Now the video card after just 2 days does not power the monitor at all.

Well guys, we swapped out the 4 GB memory into an 8 GB for the Alienware and wala. Works.

I'm almost positive that is outright false advertising on Amazon too by this seller:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, April 9, 2014
I bought one from Dell around Christmas when they were on sale for $1200.00. Mine has a 256SSD plus a 1TB HD. 4th gen i7 at 3.4gh and an Nvidia 760 graphics card. This thing is smoking fast and plays any game you want on high settings. It's quite and small, it's almost unbelievable for what it does. I play Wow on Ultra settings and get 119 fps, pretty cool :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Alienware X51, November 26, 2013
I bought this computer and so far so good. It's been several months of play time and Alienware X51 is a must have for any gamer. I love the size, power and performance in this machine. Right now I'm going to upgrade the GTX 660 to 760 if possible, apparently it seem to work just fine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Listen to the reviews, March 30, 2014
"Avoid this machine. Error messages, blue screen of death... can't rely on it to work long enough to use it for anything critical." by Jet was completely correct. I also was told to avoid Dell computers so they lives up to their normal poor ratings.

Alienware AX51R2-9301BK Gaming Desktop