5.0 out of 5 stars Here's a real review.
Ok, so here's a real review. Not a review that was written a couple days after the trying this product either. I waited 2 whole months to write this review because I know how important these reviews can be for a person (like myself) struggling with intestinal problems. Sometimes you try everything and start to give up and totally abandon any idea of relief.

So,...
Published on September 2, 2011 by Brice S.

Recently, a representative of Procter & Gamble (PG) offered to me FREE samples (plus a purchase discount) of Align probiotic for my patients and blog readers.
Here is the quote from the e-mail I received:
"...Procter & Gamble is offering a deal where you can get $10 dollars back when you buy
$30 worth of any two or more of our GI (Gastrointestinal)...
Published on December 15, 2010 by Galina Kotlyar

5.0 out of 5 stars Here's a real review., September 2, 2011
This review is from: Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement, 28 count (Health and Beauty)

So, does it work? Yes. It started working for me almost instantly. By the next day I was going regularly. I have struggled tremendously for years with abdominal pain, cramping and bathroom irregularities. I saw every doctor in the world and was prescribed all types of pills. Then one day I just so happen to see the commercial for Align and decided to give it a shot. I was thrilled to see that it had worked. This is perfect for anyone who suffers from intestinal problems such as IBS.

I would never recommend any product that didn't work to any one who suffered as much as I did with these problems. Try it, trust me, it works.

****UPDATE****WARNING!!!!
Though the earlier review I wrote is still completely true, there seems to to be a stipulation. When I wrote this review I had initially done so after trying it for a couple months. I bought this order from my local drug store. Soon after writing this review I ordered Align on Amazon. After trying it for a few days I noticed that I was not getting the same results.....at all. It had suddenly stopped working all together. WELL, turns out there was a good explanation. I called my local drug store and told them I had ordered these pills online. I was informed that since I lived in Texas ordering pills through the mail was a very bad idea, and the post office agreed. Turns out the these pills along with other capsule pills are quickly deactivated by a hot mail box. So the pills I ordered were completely useless with in one hour. If you can, do not order these during the summer months, especially if you live in a hot state. I learned the hard way. But this in no way effects my initial review of Align. Align is an excellent product. I've just learned to spare the few dollars and get it at the drugstore. Oh, and for those of you who are wondering if the heat effects shipments to drugstores, it doesn't....usually. There is a big difference between these being transported in hot conditions such as truck trailers and cargo and sitting in a 160 degree mailbox. Even trailers won't soar to those temperatures. Just a friendly heads up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth trying for IBS, August 18, 2010
I am 26 and have been dealing with IBS-D since I was 18. I have seen many different doctors & tried many different approaches to help in reducing my symptoms. As there is no real cure for IBS, I obviously hadn't had much luck with many of these approaches such as antispasmodics, increased fiber, etc. My only quick fix relief would come from taking Immodium. As many IBS sufferers experience, it has significantly altered my quality of life over the years from avoiding certain social functions to even avoiding food altogether. The hardest part was having to watch other people, such as my boyfriend, also constantly having to deal with "my stomach issues" as a result of needing to flee from different places once an episode set in. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when an episode would occur...sometimes just thinking about having to eat while outside the comfort of my home would bring one on. Yet, certain foods such as coffee, dairy, and alcohol would almost always trigger an episode. As a teacher, I'm not able to use the bathroom whenever needed, so I tried Align after reading the positive reviews here. (I did try Digestive Advantage first, but with little success.) I am currently on week four & I am feeling better then I have ever felt before. I started having one, normal BM a day within four days of taking align & the urgency to constantly have to go within seconds of eating has subsided. I have progressively been getting better with each day-with only some bloating the first several days. In the past 4 weeks, I only had one flare up & many of my trigger foods have caused me no trouble. I know that IBS is some how affected by our body's response to our nervous system, so it can not necessarily "cure" that mental aspect of IBS..you'll need to build confidence in the product and what it does. I would absolutely tell you to try this product if you are an IBS-D sufferer. It just may work in reducing your symptoms and giving you back a better quality of life like it has done for me. I wouldn't normally go out of my way to write something like this...but I feel it is important for people to see this because I know just how debilitating IBS can be for many.

3.0 out of 5 stars Why Align is so Mis-Aligned? Product Review by Galina (Dietitian/Nutritionist), December 15, 2010
Here is the quote from the e-mail I received:
$30 worth of any two or more of our GI (Gastrointestinal) brands...", and later "...include in your post/review that Procter & Gamble is providing you with free samples of Align".

Well, so far so good, right? I respect Procter & Gamble, a huge 170-years old company with tremendous resources. Plus, so heavily advertized Align probiotic has already caught my attention earlier.
Probitiotics are live, naturally-occurring microorganisms that promote healthy digestion, boost the immune system & contribute to general health & well-being. However, for people with impaired digestion choosing a right probiotic can be a confusing, choosing a wrong one can be dangerous.
Therefore, before jumping with both feet on such lucrative proposition, my professional reflex of clinically trained Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist has taken control. And, as I've been doing for the last 25 years with ALL the products I recommend to my patients and use myself, I've decided to go through a routine "nutritional ingredient analysis" of the product.

I have been somewhat surprised with the results of the analysis. Read for yourself.
Align Ingredients: Probiotic strain: Bifantis (Bifidobacterium infantis 35624), 1 x 109 colony-forming units (1 billion) (4 mg), microcrystalline cellulose (for even dispersal of cultures), hypromellose (vegetarian capsule shell),sugar, magnesium stearate (for even dispersal of cultures), milk protein, titanium dioxide, sodium citrate dihydrate, propyl gallate (antioxidant stabilizer), FD&C blue #1, riboflavin (colorant)

The Good News: Bifidobacterium infantis 35624
Align probiotic was developed by Procter & Gamble, a huge company with tremendous resources. They have been around for over 170 years.
Align was formulated with the Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 bacteria strain. In a 2009 review of scientific studies on IBS probiotic treatment, Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 showed significant improvement in the composite score for abdominal pain/discomfort, bloating/distention, and/or bowel movement difficulty. Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 has been shown to prevent invasion of the gut lining by one of the bacteria thought to be responsible for inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS and reduced inflammation in the gut.

The Bad News:
A properly designed probiotic is supposed to work with your body, not against it. For people with impaired digestion and sensitive gut even small doses of potentially dangerous additives and fillers can diminish positive effect of a good bacteria in any probiotic. Here is what have been added to the good bacteria in Align:
1) Sugar
This is public enemy #1. Sugar suppresses the immune system and can cause gas and bloating in people with chronic yeast infections, IBS/IBD and Celiac disease. Marketing a `breakthrough' probiotic containing sugar is backwards logic!
2) Magnesium Stearate
I learned during my visits to few supplement manufacturing facilities that magnesium stearate is used as a lubricating agent for equipment used in manufacturing capsules and other dietary supplements. Magnesium stearate ensures supplement production at a faster rate, and prevents the ingredients in capsules sticking to various parts of the machines used in manufacturing. Can supplement be manufactured without magnesium stearate? The answer is YES. But it will take longer time to manufacture the same product thereby making it more expensive. In addition, individuals with sensitive digestive system might have a problem with absorption of supplements containing magnesium stearate.
Czap, AL. Townsend Letter For Doctors and Patients, July 1999, Vol.192;Pg. 117-119.
3) Titanium Dioxide
Over the years I have consumed a lot of nutritional supplements; therefore, after reading numerous nutritional labels I have realized that titanium dioxide powder is a popular ingredient used in supplement manufacturing. So, I wondered: " What is Titanium Dioxide? Am I eating a metal"? According to European Commission Environment "titanium dioxide pigment is a white powder with high opacity and brilliant whiteness. These properties have made it a valuable pigment for a broad range of applications in paints, plastic good, inks and paper. Titanium dioxide is also used in many white products including food, cosmetics, UV skin protection". So, vitamin manufacturing companies use this titanium dioxide powder to make our supplements to look white and pretty. There is no added health benefit for ingesting titanium dioxide except if you want to admire your supplement pill on your dinner plate. Furthermore, titanium dioxide has recently been classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) as an IARC Group 2B carcinogen "possibly carcinogen to humans'' when inhaled. I think, we can do just fine without eating titanium dioxide.
4) Propyl Gallate
This is a preservative used to prevent fats and oils from spoiling. It has been classified as a "xenoestrogen" -- a substance with estrogen-like effects that is stirring international health concerns. "Xenoestrogens have been linked to a range of human health effects, including reduced sperm counts in men and increased risk of breast cancer in women".
5) Artificial Color FD&C Blue #1
FD &C Blue #1 is so toxic that FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have issued a warning to healthcare professionals about its toxicity including death in patients receiving enteral feeding (introduction of liquid food through a tube inserted into intestine.
Why would P&G add such a toxic coloring to its probiotic remains a mystery to me.

Conclusion
In my opinion, Align is somewhat missing the mark, and especially so for people with impaired digestion and GI problems. The potentially harmful additives and fillers included in the product could produce negative effect. That is probably why there are over twenty comments/posts on the Amazon site talk about negative effects of Align for some people.
On a positive note, the good bacteria of Align does work in your gut, provided you are not sensitive to the coloring and the fillers. Also, P&G have done a really good job in manufacturing their products from 100% recyclable materials.

As always, I am just delivering the message. To take or not to take Align is ultimately YOUR choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, April 24, 2009
I have had a lot of digestion problems all of my life. Decades of useless doctor appointments, severe stomach aches, special diet from doctor. After a few weeks on Align my mystery symptoms of fatigue, stomach pain, gas, constipation/diarrhea, and did I say fatigue went down by about 80%. I'm almost like a normal person, which is awesome because I've always felt so incapable and weak.

I am very cautious about saying something has cured symptoms that seemingly have no connection to a product, but I have been on a special diet from the doctor with high amounts of protein, fiber, etc. for a long time, to deal with the fact that I wasn't getting the iron, protein, and calcium from a normal diet. I was so tired and dizzy all the time. After a few weeks on this product, my decades long dizzyness and fatigue is just about gone. My dizzy spells are completely gone, and I now only get tired when one would think someone would get tired - late afternoon. I used to be tired all the time. ALL the time. I used to feel an overall weakness in my hands, body, slumped posture from the weakness, as if I could barely stand up. That's all gone now.

The only thing that I can figure is that my digestion was so poor that it prevented my body from getting the nutrients from my food,and now that my digestive system is back to the way "nature intended" I'm like a normal person. If you have the same symptoms, if I were you, this is one of those things I would just try and see if it helps you. I'm so glad my doctor gave me a sample of this.

1.0 out of 5 stars a disaster...., January 9, 2010
Denise J. Lonergan (St Simons Island, Ga. USA) - See all my reviews
I have suffered with IBS fo over 15 years. Imodium would help . The "attacks"
of diarrhea were spontaneous, sometimes after a milk product but not always.
I started taking Align, just added to my pills never thought much about it.
I noticed a little gas, a litttle noise, nothing alarming. Time past I needed antibiotics for a urine infection after that the diarrhea was worse. The Holidays came, busy with family, diarrhea became more frequent. I was in depends every night and if I had to go out also wore depends. I lost 10 lbs. over the Holidays.Good but not the way I wish to lose weight. I have to wait over a month to see the G.I. doctor so I went to my Internist. He ordered stool specimens (no results yet). I finally remembered the daily Align but it is suppose to help!!! I called the G.I. doctor's office he said "stop the Align". Two days later I have only had diarrhea once. I believe the Align was the cause of all this misery. I'd like to know why. I took Align for about 6 weeks. D. Lonergan

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed!, June 23, 2009
I bought Align with the blessing of a pharmacist and a $5 coupon. "This will be the answer to my digestive prayers!" I thought, eagerly reading the instructions. A little extra gas and bloating in the first few days? No problem -- I don't remember a time when I didn't have gas and bloating, I can handle it! So I forgave the first weeks' worth of added discomfort. The second week was much the same. Surely the third week would open the floodgates of relief I've been waiting for! Nuh-uh. By the fourth week, this sometimes bloated, gassy, constipated and crabby person became a full-time bloated, gassy, constipated and crabby person. Now I wasn't the only one suffering, so was my poor husband rubbing my swollen belly. The day after I stopped taking Align my bowels came back to life. Ironic isn't it? It sounds like Align has done wonders for a lot of people. I just wish I was one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, cured me from years of gut troubles!, May 22, 2009
John Ramsey (Pittsford, New York USA) - See all my reviews
Read about this in Forbes magazine in a story about Proctor & Gamble. I had gut/bowel problems for years (ever since I was in hospital for some sort of bowel problem and was on IV antibiotics for weeks). Couldn't eat nuts, popcorn, strawberries, all the things indicated diverticulosis, nothing helped or worked, even major diet changes. Tried Align and within a week my gut returned to normal like it had been years ago! WOW! This may sound gross, but sufferers will understand - my poop smells and looks like it did 10 years ago, all is right back to normal. I eat anything I want and digest just fine. I have never wrote a review before - this is how strong I feel about this product!

1.0 out of 5 stars PAINFUL!, May 18, 2009
TrayRuots (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I was "diagnosed" with IBS years ago and Zelnorm was the miracle drug for me but after awhile, I went off of it and never had an episode of IBS until recently, which was just mild. Heard of Align and had a $5 off coupon so thought I'd try it. Biggest mistake EVER! I only took this product for five days and the fifth day I took it was the WORST ever! The second day I was on it, I started to have a the feeling that I was trying to digest a million pieces of broken glass. I had the worst cramping and the bloating was almost unbearable. The last day I was on it, I was up all night with the worst painful cramps ever. I also did vomit. Never experienced anything like this ever. I wish this product worked for me as it has for others, but this product made my symptoms 1000% worse. The day after I stopped taking it, the painful cramping and bloating stopped.

1.0 out of 5 stars Makes you go NOW!, August 20, 2009
I bought this to help supplement with my daily Nexium. The Nexium was working pretty good but I still had some issues that I thought might be helped by using this product. I started to take Align every morning around the time I ate breakfast, sometimes before and sometimes after.

The problem is Align made me have to "go" within 10 minutes of taking it. I had little to no control as to whether I wanted to "go" or not. It also loosened my stool and made everything extremely uncomfortable. I know the package said that this stuff might go away after a week or two, but after 7 days I could not take it anymore. I had less control any time during the day and when I had to "go" there was little time to think about it and it never was normal or regular.

Align might work for some people and possibly could have worked if I stuck it out for a couple more weeks but i just couldn't keep it up. This product made my everyday tasks much harder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Align actually WORKS, September 20, 2008
Lindsay Wylie (Ontario, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I've tried tons of supposed "cures" before - Zelnorm never worked for me, and neither have over-the-counter medication. Special teas and other foods just made me even sicker, and I finding meals every night that wouldn't leave me in pain was quite the chore. Align was a last-ditch effort for me, and I am absolutely floored by it. Within a couple of days of taking it, I noticed a difference, and a week later, I'd never felt better since I was a teenager. With the exception of chocolate (alas!), all of my previous trigger foods no longer affect me. If I were a religious person, I'd almost want to call this a miracle. If you have IBS or other digestive conditions, and your doctor does NOT seem to really take you seriously (mine kept attributing my condition to anxiety, when anyone who knows me knows that I am extremely laid-back and stress-free), then you should definitely try Align.

Align Digestive Care Probiotic Supplement, 28 count