5.0 out of 5 stars BEST HEADSET EVER!
Published on June 29, 2011 by chakla

2.0 out of 5 stars just ok
I had the Jawbone 2 and really liked it. Based on my previous experience and the idea of a battery indicator on my phone, I decided to get a newer model the Icon.

The good:

1. Sound quality is good. Calls sound great and my callers hear me just fine.

2. Easy to pair with my Samsung S 4G (Andoid 2.2 Froyo.)

3. The ear buds are...
Published on April 19, 2011 by Uncle Buck

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST HEADSET EVER!, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Aliph Jawbone Icon Hero Black Bluetooth Headset - Bulk Package (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The Jawbone Icon is the best bluetooth headset I have ever owned. A long time ago, I used to have a Motorola bluetooth headset and I loved it. I purchased the H270 Motorola bluetooth headset and thought I would love it. I ended up returning it because the Jawbone is a far superior product. The Motorola only lets you hear phone calls through the headpiece and not any audio, such as iPod or videos. The Jawbone is an 'in ear' headpiece and the Motorla was not. I prefer the 'in ear' headset.

Pros
1. Very small and lightweight
2. Talks to you and tells you how much remaining talk time there is
3. Displays a battery meter on the iPhone next to the battery meter of the phone
4. BEST FEATURE - you can listen to ALL audio through the headset, not only phone calls, including the iPod and any videos you are watching
5. Very quick to recharge
6. You can charge via USB on the computer or direct electrical outlet
7. You can customize the voice that speaks to you

Cons
1. Short battery life, approx 4 hours
2. You have to push very hard to insert the USB connection to charge it

Buy this product online here on amazon.com. It's for sale in retail stores at double the price!

2.0 out of 5 stars just ok, April 19, 2011
Uncle Buck (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews

The good:

1. Sound quality is good. Calls sound great and my callers hear me just fine.

2. Easy to pair with my Samsung S 4G (Andoid 2.2 Froyo.)

3. The ear buds are good. They fit snugly, are very comfortable, and block out external noise. They also fit over a hearing aid. (cough cough) However, it took a while to get used to them. You have to put them on as shown in the manual. You put the bud in and rotate the headset. It's most comfortable for me to use the medium size buds and put the loop off center about 10 o'clock. I won't take any stars off for the time it took me to figure out the headset because, like a real man, I don't read manuals.

4. Easy to put on and take off. Doesn't fall out.

5. For your information, Amazon advertises Accoustibuds and the Jabra eargels as alternatives to the the weird rubber buds with the closed loop that come with the headset. The connection on the headset is too small so you can't use these alternatives. Aliph shows the actual measurement of the connection in the manual. I didn't list this a a strike against the headset since it's about either unscrupulous or sloppy Amazon advertising.

Cons:

1. The previous headset had a nice charger that the headset just fit into. The Icon has a USB connection for recharging and connecting to the computer. It's a pain in the butt to hook the USB cable into the headset because the connection is so small and tight. You have to plug the cable into the headset and then the cable into the charger adapter.

2. Battery time isn't so great. You must charge every night. Standby time is ok and I don't talk that much. Don't know if you could make it through day without recharge. Recharge is quick though.

3. The main reason for the one star is that Aliph provides absolutely no support. You're on your own if don't have an Iphone or a Blackberry. Aliph support forums show that people been requesting support for Android for over a year and Aliph has remained silent the whole time. My conclusion is that they're not ever going to support Android users. So, no mobile apps for me, no battery meter and no Jawbone Thoughts. How their support is for the Iphone and Blackberry, I wouldn't know.

4. It doesn't make me look tough like the guy in the ad. Bummer.

Conclusion: People can't figure out how to use Jawbone headsets and are generally dissatisfied. The Icon works well enough for me. After my experience with my first Jawbone, I now prefer an in-the-ear headset with no over the ear loop. I used to be a big fan of the Plantronics Voyager (over the ear) until their manufacture quality went all to hell. In the future, I'd buy the Jawbone 2 without the fancy apps for about $25 less. The Icon has dropped in price since I bought it and will probably continue to drop. How long Aliph stays in business is questionable.

1.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished product advertised as "Brand New in Factory Sealed Box", November 15, 2012
helloandyhihi (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
The first words of the product description on this page are "Brand New in Factory Sealed Box," which is most definitely not true.

I received this from the seller Dependable Resource and the product was clearly marked with a stamp that said, "Refurb W", indicating that it's refurbished, not brand new.

The product's title says that it comes in a "bulk package," which apparently is a small sandwich bag, but that's obviously not consistent with the term "factory sealed box."

I might have considered buying a refurbished product but it's not cool that it was advertised as brand new.

1.0 out of 5 stars Duped..., October 20, 2012
Comaaz (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
The site said it was a new item in bulk packaging. Upon synching with my computer, there were other profies and phones on the device

Additionally, it did not function properly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Resets when call waiting beeps, May 13, 2011
Works well, good call clarity and battery life.

Changed out the ear piece for the gel ones - comfortable fit.

Only drawback is the dang thing resets when I have call waiting beep in.

I have it connected to an Iphone 4 and a Verizon HTC - works flawlessly in connecting to both.

1.0 out of 5 stars Noise supression works, bluetooth connectivity is bad, February 2, 2012
Fujur (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
The noise cancellation does work as advertised. I stood next to a vacuum cleaner and on the other side they could only hear a very short burst of noise when I began to speak a sentence - I guess before the noise suppressor cancelled the vacuum out. All in all, it does work for that.

However, this is really unusable in any other circumstance. Fitting this into my ear even with the myriad options and ways to do it was confusing, complicated, and most often simply uncomfortable - They have traded design and fashion for comfort. That's not something I can deal with on an item I need to use for more than a few minutes a day.

The worst part of it, though, is that it just doesn't have enough oomph to deliver a crisp and clear Bluetooth signal to my iPhone 4S, even when holding it five inches from it with nothing in between, everyone says I sound "staticky", that there is static when I go off mute and I can even hear the random static. Its not like a constant hiss, its more like a little crack and pop randomly every half a second - reminds me of getting a very old phone line. And it isn't the iPhone - I also have a GoGroove x2 Bluetooth audio receiver and it works flawlessly with the iphone even while walking all around my car - I'm guessing the big difference here is the GoGroove is pulling power from my car and using more power in its conenction than this tiny headset could even use.

Most of the time I just plug in the stock iPhone headphones and they work great. If there is a vacuum cleaner going, then sure, this will be way better - Unless you are trying to make a call from an airport runway I'd stay away from these.

It would be great if Aliph, makers of these headsets created a WIRED version of these headsets. As it stands, this is now one more piece of junk in my junk drawer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Received a Used item, April 17, 2011
My icon was shipped obviously used and damaged. It had two locations where it was damaged from a fall and a lot of build-up of skin and ear-wax in the sensor area. If you don't mind a used earpiece, this is probably still a good deal. Unfortunately, I do mind. Returned.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, alot!, February 7, 2012
I got this from Overstock Closeout or OCC LLC and it is NEW, saw no evidence of prior use with mine. Besides if you have an issue with the seller take it up with them, not the product!

It took me a little bit to get a good fit but with some patience I found the smallest pad with the double loop works best for me along with the ear clip, despite having (somewhat) large ears. With proper placement the sound quality is very good my wife tells me.

PROS:
very small
very lightweight
nice design
cheap bulk packaging, spared most of the trash but got me everything I needed at a lower price
a2dp is a VERY nice feature
FULL ANDROID SUPPORT, but you have to create an online account with them for the software to connect (then again who doesn't require this?)
works great once you get a proper fit
can change the voice, etc. and some other premium dial apps are possible haven't tried any of that yet did I mention I am cheap?

CONS:
makes me look like a nerd, wait maybe that's the mirror's fault where do I complain about that

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoking Deal on a Great Headset!, August 15, 2011
Could not believe the price on this headset. I was very happy to accept the bulk packaging. Who cares if you had a fancy box? I care how it performs when connected to my phone. The sound quality is great. I love having an on/off switch rather than having to hold a button down to turn on and off (used to have the Jawbone II). The voice prompts are great - especially the one that tells you the battery level. Haven't used any of the advanced capabilities with MyTalk. But I have been very pleased with this headset. And the price could not be beat...

1.0 out of 5 stars Turned out to be a defective REFURB, December 2, 2012
Item was stamped "REFURB", which was not what we were expecting.
Item quit working within days of use.
Disappointing experience