Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on May 19, 2008
I have been religiously reading the book series ever since it first came out, so when I heard about the TV show, I had extremely high expectations, and must say I was not at all happy with the first episode. I could not believe the way that they had completely changed the look of some of the main characters. So for a while I stopped watching the show, but my curiousity got the best of me, and after it came back after having been on hiatus for a while, I resumed watching it, and I admit, I was hooked.

Although many things are completely different than the book series, the show still has that provacative, addictive edge that will keep you coming back for more.

Now, if you are a fan of the books, such as myself, yet have never seen the show before, I feel this are some things I must warn you about.

First of all, many of the storylines that happen on the show, never happened in the book. I won't go into detail about any of the plots though, because I don't want to give anything away.
I was a bit angry about everything being so different at first, but then after having thought about it rationally for a while, I realize that this is after all a TV show, and if they went exactly by the book, chapter for chapter, then the show certainly wouldn't have enough plots to last for more than one season!

Second of all, (the thing that disappointed me most) the characters of Dan, Rufus, Jenny, and Vanessa look extremely different on the show, than the way that they are described in the book. Drastically different, in fact. And in the books, Serena has a hot older brother, yet on the show, he turns into her younger brother.

But they did get a few of the characters right.

The extremely sexy Chace Crawford makes THE perfect Nate Archibald...in fact he may even be more delicious on the show than the way they describe him in the book! The only flaw that he has is that in the book he is a chronic stoner, but not on the show, although that's really no big deal.

The lovely Leighton Meester makes a wonderful Blair, actually coming very close to the way I had imagined her to be in the book, and the same goes for the beautiful Blake Lively, who plays the role of Serena.

And then we come to Ed Westwick, who plays the role of Chuck Bass. I am extremely impressed. He makes the perfect Chuck, from the way he looks, right down to his personality.

So yes, ill admit I started off being very critical, but now I consider myself a fan of the show, and am eagerly awaiting for it to come out on DVD, as well as for the new season to begin.

If your a fan of the books, who started out skeptically as I did, then I feel that you should give the show a chance. You might find that you actually enjoy it!
on May 25, 2008
I don't think I can sum up this show in such few words...
- Best location ever (show is shot ON SITE in New York City). It is the most popular show in NYC for a reason!
- Hottest cast on television
- Two of the best actors to hit CW (Leighton Meester who plays Blair Waldorf and Ed Westwick who plays Chuck (was listed as one of the "Most Underrated Actors of 2007')
- While OC had great Indie Music, Gossip Girl also has great music that is more "mainstream"

This show was by far the most buzzed about show in 2007-2008 (heck..the most talked about show in the last 10 YEARS!!) and for good reason! If you open ANY magazine, any blog site, Gossip Girl is mentioned at least five times!

It is addictive, the storylines are fascinating, and the show is WELL WRITTEN and witty (one of the very few teen shows that is loved by many critics!).

I was drawn in to Gossip Girl because of Josh Schwartz and his work with the OC and because it was based on a book. True, Gossip Girl is different than the book but its a GREAT CHANGE. Personally, I never loved the books as much as I love the series.

However, like many Gossip Girl fans, I became OBSESSED with Gossip Girl the minute Chuck/Blair happened. This type of couple has NEVER been shown on television ever. Their chemistry is amazing, the banter, bite, and the acting by these two costar far exceeds any of the other actors on the show. Not suprising, that in a span of a few days they became the most talked about couple. This couple is so popular they these two have been the cause for major ratings increases for various GG episodes...CW knows this couple=$$ and ratings and this is why Chuck/Blair will most likely become the main focus of season 2 which was previously held by Dan/Serena(starts on Monday September 1st at 8PM on the CW)!

If you are not sure about Gossip Girl, watch to episode 7 (Victor/Victorla) and I guarantee you won't be you won't be able to stop. The only downside of this show is that it is HIGHLY ADDICTIVE!

True, Gossip Girl will never reach the critical acclaim of Battlestar Galactica and Friday night lights..but is BY FAR exceeded my expecations to become my FAVOURITE SHOW ON TELEVISION!
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2008
This is the ultimate guilty pleasure show. The characters are shallow at best, yet somehow you find yourself completely sucked in to the totally unbelievable soap opera they live in, complete with whimsical names, parents that don't care, and more money than most bank tellers see in a year.

The show starts out about Serena (played by Blake Lively) a good girl with a bad past, yet somewhere after the first few episodes Blair (Leighton Meester's character) Serena's best friend/enemy, starts to completely outshine Serena with her complicated love life, parent troubles, and glossed over eating disorder.

My only complaint is that (I imagine due to the writers strike) the season finale completely sagged. Hopefully (if there is a...) next season, it will pick back up again.

Worth watching, though I couldn't exactly tell you why. It's a complete guilty pleasure, and somehow, no matter how ridiculous the plots may seem, it always keeps you coming back for more.
on April 8, 2008
I'll start by saying that I'm 31yo, female, married with kids :) I've always been fond of teenager drama; something I never really outgrew. I've found this show's storylines interesting and entertaining, enjoying both the stories of the teenagers and their parents.

The show's greatest perk imo is in the costuming. Each character in each scene is wearing an eye catching, or in some way riveting outfit, including the men. Accessories are used beautifully. The actors themselves of course provide their own eye candy.

A WORD OF CAUTION TO PARENTS however. In the seven episodes I've watched so far there has been a great deal of alcohol imbibing by the teenagers, including a 14yo. It is implied that one of the teenagers habitually uses a drug, pot if I remember correctly, which is discussed as trivial in light of a parent's cocaine use. One of the teenager characters is occasionally seen sleeping with women paid by his father.

From the first episode it is clear that almost all of the teenage characters are sexually active or plotting to be. In the seventh episode, a parent gives advice on ambience for his son's planned night of virginity loss in his bedroom on a night the rest of the family will all be out of the house.

Bottom line - A lovely guilty pleasure for adults who enjoy the genre but off limits to minors whose parents are hoping to instill morals in their children and teenagers.
on July 29, 2009
I have to admit I never watched this show from the beginning - but after purchasing the complete first season, I have fallen in love with the show. As an avid OC fan I didn't know whether this show would embody the same complexities as the OC often did with characters whom are multifaceted -

Then I met Chuck bass I can honestly say I have never been immersed in a character as much as I have been with him - his ability to remain with a contained and measured controlled exterior his stylized attention to detail and his charisma and vulnerability juxtaposes with his devilish plots and turns is truly captivating - he is an amazing talent truly a find his blend of heartbreak and heartbreaker and tragedy makes him a powerful lead actor, although the show is pitched through its protagonist Dan his entrance to the upper east side, it is Chuck journey most captivating he is an outsider detached at times from the social fabric of society in many ways he epitomizes a figure who at times can be the conscious on the show - he is the one all the characters turn to for help and he always delivers. His complex love affair with Blair the quintessential upper east sider her properness and her insurgence for titles and the trimmings of lady love, makes this character intriguing her character brings out his vulnerability and his fear of not being able to be loved or whether he can even love at times makes for a heartbreaking watch - It is his triumphant in the dhow we are most interested in - his escapism through drugs and meaningless flings with women make him even more complex he numbs his pain- the other characters just do not compare .

Blair played by Leighton Meester is excellent she gives a performance of a modern day Scarlett in Gone with the wind, She loves Chuck Bass but he is not conventional and neither she is - this a heartbreaking tale of two powerful lovers coming together - Dan is a moralist but selfish he lacks the depth of chuck and his love with Serena appears superficial he does not love her for who she is - Nate is the rich pretty by who is lost in a world he has no belonging he is even more tragic because despite efforts he never does anything worth any value - his friendship with Chuck is his only saving grace because he truly cares for him. I feel sorry for Vanessa her attempt to be the sidekick of Dan seems contrived =it just doesn't serve a great purpose - I do however think she has the repertoire to be a great actress but the script does allow her to pursue her talent - she becomes submerged in quick wit lines with now weight and end up making her seem annoying. Serena the all American girl - the cheerleader type I like her as she is consistent but she does not have the convoluted mixture both Blair and Chuck have.

I have watched the whole of this complete season and I loved every moment of it - the unraveling of the brilliant Chuck and his love with Blair is compelling - Ed West wick is a amazing actor his true brilliance to capture very scene and demand with his powerful presence is what transports Gossip Girl from a mild and Luke warm tale of upper side rich spoilt teenagers to a highly quality show which actually delves beneath the exterior the show has truly exhibited excellence in the casting of Ed West wick without him literally the show would hold neither value. Josh Swatchz achieves in this drama through the Genius of Ed Westwick I salute you!!!
on January 4, 2013
I am a 50 year old male, Give or take a year or two :) and I actually Love this show. I Live in the Gold Coast in Chicago on North LSD ( NO NOT the DRUG,the Road, Lake Shore Drive) so i know what it`s like to be AROUND the filthy rich! I am NOT one of them although i wish i was :) Anyhow.... they got alot of this show right in my opinion and picked perfect cast members.
MOST of The Filthy Rich in Chicago (Not all) are not as Uppity as New yorks Rich are but i am sure the people here "Get it" anyhow. I mean I get it and I am not rich by anyones definition.

The Writers, Characters, the back and forth Banter and basically everything in this show is good. When it`s suppose to be funny it`s very funny. When its suppose to be sad it`s exactly that and so on. It also gives us a look into what it`s like to have all that money and be able to do whatever you want whenever you want but also to know that NO amount of money can get you out of certain Troubles.

That said, My favorite part besides the Characters/Actors is that the show lets you see how "Human" you are whether you are Rich (Chuck) or not (Rufus,Dan and "J") I think they do a very good job getting emotions out of the actors. I mean lets face it... Alot of these Actors know exactly what it is like to be rich so they come into this with a general idea anyhow.

Well.. thats it. I wanted to give it 1 star, I thought about giving it 4 stars but honestly i had to give it 5. I like it that much.
on March 7, 2013
The pilot (very first episode) of Gossip Girl is one of the best I've ever seen. The debut season is pretty strong overall too. It's a character driven dramedy about the lives of Manhattan's elite full of twists and turns. The main character is Serena VanderWoodsen, played by Blake Lively who's just returned from boarding school and is harboring several dark secrets, but the real character to watch is Blair Waldorf, Serena's snobby ice queen best frenemy,expertly played by Leighton Meester. If the rest of the series had stayed this good, the show could've went down as one of the best teen dramas of all time, but alas, after this season the show turns into a soap operady (soap/comedy) about the incorrigible character, Chuck Bass, played by Ed Westwick, and his on/off again abusive relationship with Blair. The story lines become repetitive and insipid and all of the other characters either get pushed aside or destroyed to prop up Chuck Bass. Don't waste your time or your money on the other seasons.

Best Episodes:

Worst Episodes:

Posion Ivy
Bad News Blair
Roman Holiday
Much "I Do" About Nothing (This one isn't really that bad, but for a season finale, it's pretty weak)
on January 29, 2009
I had never seen an episode of Gossip Girl before- the CW network we are unable to get at my house. But I heard people talking about it and magazines saying it's a good show. So when the first season came out on DVD, I immediately bought it. The first night I watched the first 2 episodes and liked it, but was not completely raving about the show. The more episodes I watched- the more I got into the show, though. Honestly, the episode where blair and chuck are at the burlesque club (around ep 6 or 7) that is where I begin to really like the show. To me Blair, is an absolutely wonderful character- she is conniving, mean, mischevious, sweet, and funny. Blair is a complex character- and really makes the show for me. I like all of the ensemble, I also like the "frenemy" apsect to Serena and Blair.

This show is my guilty pleasure. It is a fast talking, pop-culture dropping show. Plus the fact that they take advantage of NYC's scenic atmosphere doesn't hurt. This is not a deep thinking show, but it is campy fun. It's the kind of show that you can just sit and watch and enjoy.
on January 14, 2009
I kept putting this show off because it just didn't do a thing for me within the first ten minutes of the first episode. None of the actors seemed to have the WOW factor to keep me glued. Here we are almost a year later and the show has arrived on DVD. Me being the bargain shopper that I am, I decided to finally pick this up on DVD solely based on the fact that it was under seventeen dollars. Considering there's only eighteen episodes making each episode a little less than one dollar (Total Bargain). Needless to say, I was bored last night and needed something to watch and this flipped the bill perfectly. I finally gave this show a chance and it was worth it.
Yes, the acting is bad and even on some levels hideous by some of the actors - amateurish acting at its best. Even veteran actors like Matthew Settle and Kelly Rutherford don't really deliver the goods either. It's true what they say - You have to work with what you're given and these actors aren't given the best lines. Nor do I believe that the director of each episodes pushes to get the best of them. But under the cheap exterior of a soap opera with actors in their twenties playing teens, lies a decent show.
The lead actress Blake Lively looks like she is in her thirties during the first few seconds of the show on her train ride into Grand Central Station and pretty much in every episode as well. It bothers me that she doesn't look seventeen, but I can handle it.
The show reminds me a lot of Cruel Intentions for some strange reason. If Manchester Prep School was made into a show, this would be that show.
I feel helpless because the show is almost done with its second season and I am only on episode three of season one.
The show revolves around Serena, the so-called IT GIRL who has disappeared for boarding school only a few months in only to make a surprise return into the city. Her old posse are all in shock when she returns and after much negative influence from Blair is axed from their inner circle. Though the narrator, Kristen Bell, keeps harping on the fact that it revolves around the lives of the rich and privileged in the Upper East Side of Manhattan - this couldn't be the furthest thing from the truth. I adore that the show is shot in Manhattan, but it's rarely on the UES. Many of the scenes are shot around Midtown and under. The Palace Hotel where Serena stays during the first season is in the fifties on Madison Ave. And the UES is not even all that. Everyone that lives in Manhattan knows how untrendy the UES is. It's just a playground for married couples who have children and want to pay overprice fees to send them to private schools instead of public schools.
Leighton Meester (Blair Waldorf) is just a bad actress. So is the young sister (Jenny Humphrey) played by Taylor Momsen. She is beyond atrocious in the acting department. If speaking like a valley girl means acting than I must have that act down pat. But, Ed Westwick (Chuck Bass) was born to play his role. Everything about his overall presence fits the part of the snotty angry rich kid that causes nothing but trouble. He wreaks havoc perfectly.
Overall there is promise for this show. It's packed with beautiful people (for the most part) and the basic premise is an interesting spin. It's like watching celebrities live their lives after they read their own gossip that swirls the headlines and the fury ensues.
Though this show is much like most teen soaps, lacking real talent and most of its stars just don't have the x-factor - its still deliciously devilish fun in the vein of Melrose Place. Kristen Bell narrates this show annoyingly yet fittingly with that darn teen condescending voice of hers. If you need something on TV to keep you entertained since Sex and the City went south after season three, this is the show for you. You know you love it XOXO! Hahaha
on August 28, 2014
Great First Season to a Fun TV Show about Priviledged Rich Kids who Live on the Upper East Side. You will get Hooked on the Characters as well as the backdrop of New York City and Brooklyn that these kids live in. The Music is great also.