1,397 Reviews
 (1,272)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pressure canner
Published on July 5, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars warning about smooth glass cooktops
I didn't get a chance to actually use this item so cannot review its performance or durability. Though it looks to be a workhorse. However, the outside of the box and the directions inside warn to NOT use this canner on smooth glass or ceramic cooktops because of its weight when fully loaded. At the time this was not mentioned on the Amazon website. So I returned the item...
Published on October 18, 2009 by Kurt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pressure canner, July 5, 2002
By A Customer
This is a very high quality, heavy weight canner. It practically screams, "Industrial strength!" The slide clips and screw-downs securely fasten the lid to the pot. No blow-outs with this baby. The weighted pressure gauge makes operation almost foolproof. And no gasket required! Before purchasing a canner, I did a lot of reading in the rec.food.preserving news group. I saw endless inquiries about sources for gaskets for canners ranging from a few years old to many decades old. It was clear some of these people had spent many, many hours in search of a gasket. Avoiding the need for a gasket became a major criteria for my purchase.

I've had my canner for a couple years and am still impressed with the quality. There are only two negatives I can think of. The heavy weight of the canner is a plus for strength and longevity, but it can work against you. The canner weighs 20 pounds when it's empty. Unless you work out regluarly, you're not going to fill the canner on the counter and then carry it to the stove. The other potential negative is the height. This canner requires at least a 16 inch clearance over your range. If your range has an upper oven the canner might not fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 13, 2002
OutDoorsInColorado (Thornton, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
When I first ordered this canner, I wasn't sure if I would be able to maintain a steady pressure with my "pulsating" flat-top stove. With the thick aluminum walls, I have no problems at all. In fact, with such thick walls, I can put the burner on "high" and it will slowly build up pressure so I don't have to stand over the stove and constantly monitor as the pressure increases. Once at pressure, it is very easy to maintain the required pressure without having to constantly vent off excess pressure. The owner's manual recommends one to four jiggles per minute. It takes longer for this canner to cool down than others due to the thick walls. I factor this in to my processing time. It will maintain it's pressure (15 psi) for almost another 10 minutes with the burner off. This canner is designed to fit 7 quart jars perfectly. If your looking for a canner, this is it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works extemely well, leak free, for multiple daily uses in laboratory, August 18, 2008
One of the labs I supervised lacked funding to purchase an autoclave. We sterilized media broth, media agar, dilution agents, Petri dishes, flasks, bottles, and other microbiology utensils in a Mirro pressure canner. We sterilized a minimum of three batches daily, five and six days a week, year round. The Mirro canners constantly required new seals, yet the lids still frequently warped and leaked all over the stove. We replaced the Mirro canner twice in a year, let alone all of the gaskets we went through. I bought this All American pressure cooker when I saw the unique no gasket design, securing lugs, and the safety features built into this pressure cooker. My micro staff loved this pressure cooker. This All American pressure cooker never leaked, the lid fit perfectly time after time, and all of our batches came out properly sterilized. It impressed me so much after almost two years' use in a laboratory setting, that I am now buying one for my home canning. Made in USA, heavily built, well-engineered for performance and safety, and proven to me in multiple daily uses with three different users, including myself--a great pressure cooker in my experience, far better than the others we tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are considering buying any other canner........., February 8, 2004
T. K. Moehlman "cyzicus" (Rapid City, SD United States) - See all my reviews
send me the money and I'll throw it away for you. I received my Grandmother's when she passed away and have more that pleased with it. I can't add anything the other reviews other that mine is over 30 year old it is in perfect shape. I've been told that my Grandmother sent 1000's of cans through this in her day and I intend to do the same. The company's web site is very good if you need replacement parts but I doubt you'll ever need them. I had my local Ag extension agent test my gauge (the original) and it is still accurate enough for canning. This is the only part that should ever really need replacing since it does not have a seal. I am fortunate enough to have the old school Instruction and Recipes book (list price ˘60) that has canning recipes that I have not been able to find anywhere else. Buy this and pass it on to your grandchildren!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pressure Canner, pretty good pressure cooker, December 17, 2002
By A Customer
I've had my Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry All American pressure canner for a couple of years, and I'm still very happy with the purchase. I can use it to make a humongous batch of chicken stock, then turn around and can that very batch... I agree with the comments made by the first two reviewers concerning its weight, size, etc. This will outlast you and your kids. Very well made, and the company has a full line of replacement parts should they ever be needed.
I give this five stars as a canner, and three as a cooker. The only reason I downrate it slightly as a cooker is that it is so big and unwieldy. If you regularly have to cook huge batches of food, though, this may be just what you need. If you don't ordinarily cook up enough to feed an army, you might be happier with a smaller (say, 6 to 8 quart) pressure cooker (I love my Kuhn Rikon 6 quart stockpot). Also: if you are planning to can a LOT of stuff, you might consider getting the Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry model 930--it can handle 14 quart jars at a time, whereas this one can only handle 7 quart jars.
All in all, a very well made item. Get this and a copy of Lorna Sass's "Cooking Under Pressure", a copy of the Ball Blue Book, and go conquer the (canning) world.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best canner/pressure cooker I've owned..., June 19, 2003
I do lots of cooking and canning - sometimes just for family, sometimes for large gatherings - and this cooker has made that chore much easier. Even when cooking for family, I'll make 2 chickens at a time, that way I won't have to cook another night. While the chickens are cooking, I'll also have stock to make rice or soup with. Forgot about cooking dinner? This baby can take 2 frozen rabbits from the freezer to the dinner table in less than an hour. Its large size makes canning large batches quick work. The only drawback I have is washing it - it is heavy, and if you don't have a big enough sink or a hose to rinse it out, then your in for a workout. I have a double sink and it fits in nicely - a must for anyone with a large family !

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome equipment that no canner should be without!, May 13, 2006
The quality of these All American canners are absolutely top of the line and easy to work with. Once purchased, you have a canner for life. No gasket seals to be replacing. Wonderful. I have one already and am getting a second so I can tag team between the two when canning this summer. You can't beat this piece of kitchen equipment. This is the top of the line for canners.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-American Pressure Cooker (by Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry) - a pleasure cooker, February 7, 2009
This review is from: All-American 41-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner (Kitchen)
I recently purchased this cooker thru Amazon. First unit had a serious enough 'ding' which caused me concern. I requested a replacement cooker. Amazon cross shipped w/o any problems. Amazon took care of return shipping as well. Am very pleased with replacement pot and Amazon's service.

I purchased the largest model because it provides ample room for pot-in-pot cooking where I can use a stainless steel pot. The first dish I prepared was a huge batch of chili with dry kidney beans in under 90 minutes!

I was concerned that the large pot will require too much of a gas flame to maintain the pressure but that is not the case. Once the selected pressure is reached, it can be maintained very efficiently.

The metal-on-metal was also an initial concern but it works flawlessly. That is a big plus - no rubber gaskets and replacements to worry about years ahead. The pot is extremely well constructed. It is precision 'machined' on the inside making it very attractive. Minor con - the 2 canning racks that come with the product do not do the pot justice. They could be better.

WARNING - the pot is VERY substantial in size, girth and weight. Purchasers should take this into consideration beforehand to make sure they can handle, use, clean and store it readily.

I highly recommend Wisconsin Aluminum Foundry's product as well as Amazon's shopping experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Great and MADE IN THE USA, December 12, 2008
It works great the only dislike is that I have had the lid stuck twice but know now to loosen the wing nuts just a little with about 4 to 5 lbs in the cooker just tell the steam starts leaking out and then let it cool the rest of the way. Besides that it is great PLUS it is MADE IN THE USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaviest Duty Canner For Home Use!, July 3, 2009
D. J. Stone (Ottsville, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I needed to get a pressure canner in order to process foods that aren't suitable for the standard water-bath method. After doing some research online, I found the All American line, which I believe is unequalled in construction and quality. Being involved in manufacturing for many years, I understand and appreciate quality and good engineering -- especially from an American firm. It seems that almost all cookware comes from overseas, and a lot of it is built with price, not performance, as the prime design consideration.

Not so with the All-American. Photos don't do justice to this product. When you open the box and lift it out for the first time, you'll see what I mean. This thing is HEAVY. It looks like something you might see in a laboratory or commercial kitchen, although the manual specifically states it's only for home use. I think it may have something to do with ambulance chasing lawyers and product liability, because this thing has more warning labels than any cookware I've ever seen.

In fact, at over 20 lbs. empty, this can be a problem for some people, my wife included. She simply can't safely maneuver this baby around when it's full. Forget about washing it. That's MY job.

I really like the metal seal. Having a rubber seal on a pressure cooker go bad is a real pain, and you almost never seem to have a spare, or if you do, you can't find it, and it's not like you can run down to Wal Mart and pick one up even if you want to. At 15 to 20 bucks each for replacements, plus the hassle of picking them up, this will add up to real savings in cash and headaches over the many years you own this product. I can't imagine anyone being able to wear one out with any reasonable care at all.

The dial gauge is high quality, and I found that it read very accurately in conjunction with the weighted pressure regulator. When the gauge reads 15 lbs., and the weight is set on 15 lbs., it rocks about 5 to 10 times per minute, which tells me that the pressure is very close to what the gauge says.

Using the six screw-down retainers, that lid is going nowhere. Between those and the gauge, the regulator, and the fail-safe pressure relief valve, this thing is about as safe as anybody could expect.

It's a real pleasure to purchase a quality product from an American company. That's exactly what you get from these All American canners. Those who understand manufacturing and what it takes to make a product right will know what I mean. It's not cheap, but when you consider that it will probably outlast multiple cheap pressure cookers, it's a great value. The way I figure, I've never looked back in regret for buying the best, but I almost always regret going cheap.

I can honestly say that this product rates my highest recommendation.

All-American 41-1/2-Quart Pressure Cooker/Canner