Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on December 5, 2009
My first All Clad pieces included a All-Clad LTD 12-Inch Fry Pan and a 1 ½ quart sauce pan both in the LTD. The Copper Core line was not yet available. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with the 1 ½ quart sauce pan in Copper Core (well, I actually purchased one when it became available. Why? For three reasons.

The Copper Core sauce pan heats up faster (only slightly faster on an electric range but considerably faster on a gas range) than my original LTD or Stainless versions. So while cooking faster is easy in this pan, turn down your fire especially if you cook with gas like I do. Otherwise you'll boil this pan dry (so far so good that I have not yet done it with this pan).

But what I really like is the rolled lip. Pouring without dribbling hot liquids down the side of the pan is very nice and neat. It's too bad All Clad does not have rolled lips on their entire saucepan line.

I can cook anything in it. That includes acidic tomato based spaghetti sauces.

I have many All Clad pieces. If I had to do it over again, I would only buy from the Copper Core line with the possible exception of some of the larger sauté pans (4 quart and larger) and stock pots (larger than 8 quarts). Those Copper Core pieces are much heavier than the comparable Stainless versions. All the All Clad sauté pans and stock pots (except the 7 quart stock pot) have rolled lips because of the pasta pentola insert.

My suggestion: if price is an issue but you want a quality piece, go for the All-Clad Stainless 1-1/2-Quart Saucepan or the dishwasher safe All Clad LTD2 1.5-Quart Sauce Pan version if you can live with dribbling when pouring (the LTD2 uses the same handles as the Copper Core). If you can afford it, go for the Copper Core version.

PROS:

Flared lip helps prevent dribbling hot liquids down the sides of the saucepan.

The handle design helps keep your hands comfortably cool to the touch and the wider and longer handle makes it more comfortable to hold.

It's a quality product that is made in the USA.

CONS:

You pay for the expensive copper.

Its heavier although should not be too heavy for every day use.

You really have to stay close to the kitchen as the Copper Core pan will boil dry faster than a regular pan.
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2007
Over the years I have used a variety of cookware--aluminum bottomed stainless Revere Ware, Magnalite Professional, Calphalon, Calphalon Professional NonStick. When I finally had to throw out the last of my tattered collection, I started to look for some stainless cookware that would stand the test of time and offer performance to boot. I decided to splurge on this All-Clad Copper Core.

One of the pieces I recieved was this 4-Quart saucepan. I love to use this to cook pasta for two, and it's the perfet size for making stock with one chicken carcass or a risotto for several. Love this pot!

Delighted to report that I am THRILLED with this expensive splurge! All-Clad is NOT about expensive hype and status, those these pans are beautifully made, instead they do everything cookware should, and have literally changed the way I cook. Having attended CIA and worked as a professional chef for a few years, I know the golden rule for food not sticking: preheat pan, add oil, let oil heat for 5-10 seconds, then add food. Using these guidelines with the Copper Core, nothing sticks! And I mean for some things, like omelets or fried eggs in the 10" frypan, the performance is as good as my brand new Calphalon NonStick was; when you can just slide omelets and fried eggs out of the pan without ANY sticking at all, why would you ever need Nonstick or Teflon based products?!

However, these pans are also superbly capable of developing a fond on the pan bottom for deglazing and subsequent sauces; in fact I have had them give every last bit of the fond up when deglazed, almost cleaning the pan for me! That's the best thing about them--they do everything right. I am not sure if it's All-Clad propriety stainless "recipe" or what, but these pans are so amazing to be able to function on all levels from eggs sliding out with ZILCH sticking to chicken breasts sticking just enough to develop rich fond for complete deglazing, to the light and glazy fond from sauteed onions and garlic for developing a richer risotto when deglazed with wine.

Mind you, this is partly about knowing some basic cooking principles, and these pans might not act so obligingly in non experienced hands, because when I read about people commenting on how everything sticks in their All-Clad stainless interior, I know it isn't All-Clad's fault, believe me!

I have found the copper core very responsive and quick to adjust to temperature. Perhaps not as great as true copper pot and pans, but noticeably better than aluminum cores (Stainless line) or anodized aluminum (Magnalite Pro/Calphalon). These pans heat up and boil water faster than anything I have ever used, aside from true copper cookware, and when turning the heat down, or removing from burner, they also cool incredibly quickly. It's nice to have semi-copper performance with the ease of stainless steel clean-up. And this cookware does clean-up quickly and easily, particularly when using Barkeepers Friend. I use plastic and wooden utensils (no metal) and they still look almost brand new after several months.

The copper band however does tarnish and discolor just as much and just as fast as a true copper pot or pan, so if you are fanatic, you will need to polish the tarnish away fairly often (at least every other week). However this is barely noticeable for us real world users, and Barkeepers friend does a good job of semi-polishing the copper (but it won't gleam).

I know, I know, they are SO expensive. But honestly, if you know how to cook or want to learn with responsive cookware, I honestly feel this is a great investment. I am wholeheartedly thrilled that I made it and cannot recommend highly enough.
33 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2007

One of the pieces I recieved was this 2-Quart saucepan. What a workhorse this one is! Rice to soup to gravy, it gets used!

on December 24, 2007
It's heavy, it's solid, it heats up quickly & evenly, it's fun! We cook a lot and got tired of bad cookware. We had one of those Caphalon anodized aluminum pots that got mysterious chips in the bottom (in spite of never putting metal utensils in it) - and then one day, while attempting to make shrimp stock, a gooey scum adhered to the bottom interior (and it won't let go). The price tag probably seems a bit steep for some, but I can tell we will get many years of use out of it. Sure, I've only had this one for 2-3 months, but it has worked beautifully. I only clean it with a soft sponge, water, soap, and maybe Bar Keeper's Friend or a similar acid. If you cook at proper temperatures with proper techniques, you won't get sticking. If you get a little sticking, soak it in warm water, or heat the water in the pot on the stove. Pouring liquids out of the pot works fine (guess that lip design helps).
on May 18, 2007

One of the pieces I recieved was this 1 1/2 Quart saucepan. What a workhorse this one is! Rice to soup to lentils to barely to country gravy, it gets used! The most used of all my Copper Core is this little pot!

However, these pans are also superbly capable of developing a fond on the pan bottom for deglazing and subsequent sauces; in fact I have had them give every last bit of the fond up when deglazed, almost cleaning the pan for me! That's the best thing about them--they do everything right. I am not sure if it's All-Clad propriety stainless "recipe" or what, but these pans are so amazing to be able to function on all levels from eggs sliding out with ZILCH sticking to chicken [...] sticking just enough to develop rich fond for complete deglazing, to the light and glazy fond from sauteed onions and garlic for developing a richer risotto when deglazed with wine.

on October 13, 2013
I'm the type of person who gets excited to do reviews for products at either end of the spectrum. If something is bad I want people to know and if something is great I want others and the manufacturer to know that the product is best in class and why.

The whole copper core line is best in class but a few items stand out. The 2qt and 1.5qt sauce pans are just fantastic. They are balanced, pour perfectly and accurately without dribbling and have incredible heat conduction. Not every pan or pot in any line of cookware is best for everything, sometimes a cheap carbon steel pan is the right pan for a job but no saucepan outperforms the copper core.

They wont make you a better cook but will compliment your skills. These pots make perfect rice. High heat conduction means the sides get hot as well as the bottom so you don't get burned rice before the rice cooks. People I know roll their eyes at the price of my cookware then go buy some ridiculous Teflon coated rice cooker for $100 that will eventually break. I brew tea in the saucepans then pour the tea into glass bottles to make iced tea that have a 1 inch opening. I do this with no funnel with full pots. *That's* how well they pour. And of course they do all of the other things a saucepan should do and do it well.

Last but not least. You aren't just buying the best you are buying American made cookware.
on February 26, 2007
I at first thought Coppercore was just a gimmick, with the gratuitous rim of exposed copper around the base, but I was wrong--this line is great: much heavier than their other lines, and, for what it's worth, attractive too. I have, at great expense, gotten two more of their pots.
VINE VOICEon October 24, 2013
If you like ramen like I do then this pot is for you. Yes, this just might be the world's most expensive ramen pot. But that's because it is probably the world's best ramen pot.

The size is perfect for cooking 1-2 ramen (but you can't use too much water when cooking 2 ramen).

The pot boils water quickly. It is extremely good at heat conduction. It only takes about 5 minutes (including boiling water) to cook ramen. Very fast.

This pot is very sensitive to changes in range temperature. That's great if you have a good gas range, but not so great if you have an electric range that takes at least few tens of seconds to change temperature. I decided to get an induction range just for my set of All-Clad copper core cookware. If cooking food at a right temperature is what you need, this pot is fantastic as long as you are using proper cooking range (READ: non-electric).

Pros:
1)Great at cooking noodles such as ramen. Also good at boiling soup at precise temperature. Just a great pot overall.
2)Conducts heat magnificently. Also highly sensitive to temperature changes. If cooking at a precise temperature is what you need, then this pot should be your dream pot.
3)Sturdy and built like a tank.
4)Induction range capable.

Cons:
1)You need gas or induction range to take full advantage of precise the temperature sensitivity of this pot.
2)Heavy.
on December 30, 2015
We own a set of All-Clad Copper Core cookware but decided this size pan would be handy to add to our collection. Very expensive cookware, but if you do a lot of cooking, it's worth the price. Cooks evenly and cleans up easily. We had Calphalon previously, which we were happy with, but we're amazed at how much better this cookware is. Regarding this pan specifically, it's a good intermediate size. Our set came with 1.5 qt and 4 qt pans, which are often a little small and a little large for cooking for two people.
on April 18, 2008
I have few copper core pots, 3, 6, and 12" skillet. But this pot is my favorite. The enjoyment and delicious food I get from these pots, is worth every penny I spent on them.