5.0 out of 5 stars Pan-tastic !, November 27, 2012
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
What a pan! 4qt size is about right size for an average amount of food. I guess there are small households that could use it as their only pot/pan. At first I was reluctant to go with new 5-ply technology(layers are thinner than in standard 3ply) but after reading reviews on the net got reassured and bought it. And I am glad I did.

As always, it pays to shop around for the best deal because prices vary a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Pan, March 28, 2012
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
My first D5 purchase, and I couldn't be happier.
- Fantastic heat distribution & retention. Which means almost the same level of awesomeness for making sauces and simmering as a cast iron pan. Great for making dry stir-fry sort of dishes as well, which require you to turn off the heat and cook but let it sit in the hot pan for a few mins to finish cooking.
- Beautiful finish.
- As close to non-stick as stainless steel can get. Cleans SO easily... soak it in hot water for a few mins and it has practically cleaned itself! There was a heat stain that developed in the beginning, when we weren't as familiar with each other, but a quick swipe or two with "bar keeper's friend" took care of that.

Incidentaly, it is $150 in Williams-Sonoma for a limited time.

Pros: Durable, Easy to Use, Quality, Easy to Clean, Color, Size, Versatile, Shape, Design
Cons: Weight

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pan!!!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
Just received this pan. I cooked a nice veal parmigiana. It cooked the cutlets and sauce perfectly. It is a heavy pan, but so worth it. The deep sides are great when frying as they help prevent spattering of oils as well as allowing you to cook up a nice big batch of sauce! This is not my first piece of All-Clad and it will not be my last. Do yourself a favor and get this pan. I wish I would have had this from the beginning of my adult life. I will be passing it on to my daughter and granddaughter some day.

5.0 out of 5 stars D5 - it's all that, December 14, 2012
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
I have most of the all clad stainless line and received the d5 essential 6 quart as an early Christmas present. Oh my!!! It ls outstanding. It browns food evenly and quickly, retains heat like a dream, cleans up like non stick. I'm sold! Far superior to my beloved regular stainless steel. Now to convince the hubby to upgrade the rest of my cookware...

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly essential?, December 1, 2013
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
Essential or not? This is a chef's pan, great for large batches of risotto. It is a compromise pan of sorts. It is not a sauce pan nor a wok nor a saute pan nor a stew pot. It is well made, but not as useful as a saute pan. But if you frequently cook risotto for four or more people, buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Double WOW, June 8, 2013
John N. Schëar "cxxi121" (Roanoke, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All-Clad d5 Stainless Steel 4 Quart Essential Pan with Lid
All-Clad hit a Grand Slam Home Run with this d5 4 quarts 18-10 stainless steel essential pan and lid (d5). Not only is it a superb pan that performs far better than I could have imagined it rapidly replaced several older and somewhat lower quality than this one. Freeing up that extra space is just about as delightful as the ability of the d5 to perform. I am not smart enough to address the construction of the pan but I know it saves me time and that makes it energy efficient both from saving electricity and my mindset. It is so nice to have a handle that does not burn and a front handle that I call my assistant for heavier cooking solutions. While I do not have an induction stove (YET, are you reading over my shoulder? I hope so.) but the old fashioned stove works just super. I found the instructions quite helpful in making sure that I do not make silly mistakes. Like, do not use salt until the food is cooking in an effort to avoid pitting. Makes sense to me. Simply, I cooked a fantastic meal, ate, washed and dried the pan, put it away and sat back and said "WOW. I sure made a wise decision."

ARRAY(0xa42e9e1c)