Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on June 22, 2004
Jerry Garcia is one of a kind. We will not see the likes of him again. These six discs presented in this set are a perfect companion to Rhino's "Golden Road" Box Set, which compiled the complete Warner Brothers recordings of the Grateful Dead. Not only are the original albums included, we are also treated to studio jams of The Dead performing "Orpheus" and The Garcia Band's 16 minute jam on Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go". To round off this excellent collection are his unreleased recordings from his brief but inspiring encounter with Gospel music. Hearing him cover The Mighty Clouds of Joy's "Mighty High" is a major high point. He is helped out by Donna Godchaux and Maria Muldaur on Dorothy Love Coats' "I Will Be With Thee" and did the dickens out of Dorsey Burnette's "Magnificent Sanctuary Band" giving Donny Hathaway a run for his money. The disc that walks off with the grand prize however, is Cats Under The Stars. Hands down this is JG at his level best. Run For The Roses is close at hand, and then the Compliments album shows his love and respect for New Orleans R&B with Allen Toussaint doing the horn arrangements. Russian Lullabye and Back Home In Indiana captures Django Rheinhardt & The Hot Club Of France, although the former is given a more traditional feel than the latter. It's all great music and it only serves to show how much Jerry contributed to every genre of music and how much we all miss him. When I look at his pictures in the booklet, it makes me wish to my heart I would have known him.
on April 23, 2004
If you like Garcia this is a must have for the unreleased bonus material alone .Better late than never, some of this stuff is unreal!!! Mystery Train/Orpheus/Fennario/Dear Prudence.If you bought this thru the dead net you got 2 extra discs which included a T.L.E.O. jam that has Jerry at his peak.Get them if you can.LET IT ROCK !!!!!!
on May 3, 2004
Now that I am retired I have had more time for things like music etc. This CD set is fantastic. I have listened to the set many times over. The appreciation I have know is so much more than decades ago for me. In fact Garcia, the Beatles, Credence all have invoked old and new thoughts for me. Back to this set. I like it so well I am going to purchase a set for my 29 year old son.
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2013
If Jerry Garcia were alive today, he'd be sickened by the fact that this box set is out of print and being SCALPED at "4 new from $378.09."

That said...if it were going for a REASONABLE's as essential as essential gets.

ALL of the studio albums PLUS a disc of outtakes. The favorites, for me, are the first album and "Reflections." The Dead performed "Bird Song" many, many times, but the version on Jerry's first solo album SHIMMERS with a beauty you won't find anywhere else. The "brother / sister" to this song is "Laughing" from David Crosby's If I Could Only Remember My Name. Same feel, same achingly sweet pedal steel from Jerry.

The second album ("Compliments") was pretty much TRASHED by critics on its release, but its charms are undeniable, especially on "Let It Rock," "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game," and "Turn On the Bright Lights."

These albums didn't stray that far from what Jerry was doing with the Dead, and MANY of the songs found their way into "heavy rotation" on Dead set lists. It's a wonderful thing to own but it breaks my heart to see it selling for four hundred bucks...that's just WRONG.
on November 4, 2004
This new boxed set is absolutely spectacular. I have been a JGB/Dead fan for a long time, and this is the most fantastic treat. Get ready to hear all your favorites plus SO much more. The previously unreleased outtakes and jams are all beautiful. A LOT of thought went into the production of this album. In a world where compilation albums and boxed sets have flooded the market solely for profit, this album stands out as an album put together by people who are obviously PASSIONATE about Jerry. I have been listening to it virtually non-stop for the past 24 hours since I got it. I could say so much more, but trust a longtime deadhead when I say trust me... get this album. You will not be disappointed. "All Good Things" promises to please many old fans and make a whole lot of new ones.
on May 1, 2004
After so many hours spent following, listening to, trading for, thinking about, writing on, and in all ways pursuing Garcia's music, this collection pools a tear of joy, makes me laugh out loud as the hair on my arms stand straight up and confirms what I have always known in my heart: this man had no peer.
The remastering is superb, the plentiful outtakes are a treat, the photos are precious, and the two bonus CDs (one w/ more outtakes and one w/ live songs from '77) you get from ordering it directly from [...] make this a must-have collection!
"...I'll take a melody, and see, what I can do about it..."
on November 24, 2004
I bought this last May on my birthday, I didnt have any of Jerry's studio stuff on disc, and had waited because I learned of this release. I have to say it was more than worth it, if your trying

to decide on whether or not to get it, dont hesitate, pick it up.

The 6th cd is a nice extra.
on April 11, 2012
This box set includes a significant proportion of previously unreleased tracks, many of which are stunning.

Bob Dylan nailed one of Jerry's special talents "Jerry Garcia could hear the song in all my bad recordings, the song that was buried there. So if I want to sing something different, I just bring out one of them Dead records and see which one I wanna do."

There are plenty examples here of Jerry taking somebody else's song and getting the perfect essence.
on October 29, 2004
There really isn't enough to be said about the magnificent job RHINO has done with the entire Grateful Dead and Garcia catalogs.

You will most definitely be satisfied with yet another prime example of a "generous portion". A large dose of unreleased material that's Jerry Garcia.

Top-notch sound quality like none before!

Rhino, Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead

together again

on tour........
on August 30, 2011
As a callow youth I had the first Grateful Dead album and no others. I traded it for a Cannonball Adderley album, starting a whole new journey. I never really heard the Dead or Jerry Garcia much after that until years later when I picked up a copy of 'Bear's Choice' on cassette to see how they handled those blues tunes. Then, again after a period of some years, I bought the double JGB live album and left it at that. Recently though I have had a hankering for more of that sinewy and sinuous guitar and have started to buy some back catalogue Dead and now this boxed set. Wow - what have I been missing? A great deal has been said already about this boxed set and I don't have a lot to add other than it is some of the most joyous, plaintive, rousing, reflective (and any number of other descriptors) music you will ever hear collected into one place. The breadth is impressive and the sound is great and for once the extras on each disc are not filler (except perhaps for some of the choices on Disc 1). In addition to each disc's extras there is a whole other disc of Outtakes, Jams and Alternates that is astounding and could stand on its own as a single disc release. The version of 'I'll Take a Melody' on that disc is sublime. This is a collector's item that works for the non-collector and will give hours of pleasure.