5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slipknot Album (if you are an open minded rock fan)
Updated on 12/27 with a slightly more objective comments.

Published on August 26, 2008 by Carlos

3.0 out of 5 stars Could of been better I suppose..
I feel like this album is too short to begin with.. Some of the songs feel very different than their previous work. I love "psychosocial" and "sulfur". I would say those are the best songs on the album. Too many songs are just "ok" on this album in my opinion. I really hope this isn't their last album.
Published 11 months ago by painandjoy25

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slipknot Album (if you are an open minded rock fan), August 26, 2008
Carlos (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Updated on 12/27 with a slightly more objective comments.

Disclaimer: If you are a music fan whose listens to a particular genre (i.e., metal ) you are going to feel disappointed. Specifically, if you are one of the Slipknot fans who consider Iowa to be Slipknot's best album you will definitely hate this one. However, if you like rock music in general (For example, I listen to anything from Radiohead to Slayer) then you will really appreciate this album.

Although I'm hard pressed not to pick sides and choose a favorite album, I can say that I've been listening to this album as much as I did with their self-titled debut (the one that made me a Slipknot fan to begin with). Everyone has different musical preferences and tastes, so I can understand why people who predominantly listen to "metal" would prefer Iowa (given that it's currently the band's heaviest release). Given that I listen to a much more larger scope of music genres, I found Iowa to be be on the one-dimensional side. To the dislike of many fans, with Vol. 3, the band made a drastic change in their music, incorporating solos, adding more melodic choruses, and varying the tempo of the music in the whole album and within songs. At the time of its release I was a bit shocked at the new direction of the band. However, now I understand that it was all part of the natural evolution of the band and a stepping stone to All Hope is Gone. With the new album, Slipknot has been able to capture the best elements of all their previous albums while maintaining flow/structure through all the songs. They have continue to expand their sound and grow musically, which any music fan in general should greatly appreciate.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the album., September 4, 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
You know exactly the album I'm talking about. The one that all bands who last longer than one or two albums go through. The one that signals a kind of change, possibly. But also one that does something as old as time itself: divides fans, but also attracts new fans, like me.

While I share a similar taste in music, Slipknot hasn't always been for me. A lot of people like their thrash songs, whereas I need a bit more diversity. And so while I've listened to their previous albums, enjoyed particular songs, I've never had the patience to listen to a whole album. Until now.

All Hope is Gone feels, in some ways, a culmination of everything that's come before; the sometimes melodic nature of Subliminal Verses, the pounding nature of their earlier work in Iowa, with, yes, maybe a smidgen of Stone Sour on the side. The thing is, when Slipknot isn't trying to pound you silly with their music for a dozen or so songs, they can be quite enjoyable.

For me, All Hope is Gone picks up right as "Psychosocial" comes into play. This song, the album version which rocks so much more than the "radio-friendly" version released as a single, exemplifies their nature perfectly: precision trash metal, with an actual melodic hook and a melody that carries through.

But the diversity continues, with "Gehenna" verging into atmospheric territories that sounds reminiscient of a heavier/more technical Korn. And "Vendetta"'s rousing anthem chant of "Are you ready for the time of your life," answered by shouts...perfect live material at shows. Then, of course, there's the Slipknot ballad (how surprising is that?) "Snuff," the song which will invariably have critics calling it a Stone Sour song with heavier drumming.

Don't get me wrong; there's still plenty of thrash songs with the barking vocals and the precision drumming, pounding submission into your head. It's just that there's more here than that. This is the first Slipknot album in which I believe Slipknot has found their niche. They've found a way of distancing themselves from similar acts that stretches beyond wearing masks (which, as an aside, are much better than their previous ones).

So we come full circle. This album will possibly be a divisive one for some fans. But I believe it shows growth, maturity and a willingness to look beyond one song played twelve different ways. Your appreciation may very, but I like this new Slipknot.

Songs to listen to:

"Gematria (The Killing Name)"
"Psychosocial"
"Gehenna"
"This Cold Black"
"Snuff"

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, their best album, October 23, 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
I don't know so many people are saying "This sounds too much like Stone Sour." While I love both Slipknot and Stone Sour and am a hardcore fan of both bands, this is still truely slipknot. You've got to give Corey Taylor credit, he continues to scream and sing incredibly. You would think his vocals would've given out from doing this for at least 10 years, but they really haven't. I think the reason people say it sounds like Stone Sour much more than Slipknot is because there's a lot more singing in this album than the previous ones. However, every song is pure slipknot. No one deserves to ever call them sell-outs or any bull like that. Some songs take some getting used to, but the highlights in the album are worth going through every song multiple times.

Execute(N/A)

Gemetria(The Killing Name)-9.0/10
Favorite lines in this song: "What if God doesn't care?" and "We will burn your cities down." This utterly proves Slipknot hasn't changed, this song is really heavy thrown in with some really nice screams.

Sulfur-9.5/10
-Really catchy chorus and I love the wah on the guitars during
the verse, it's something abstract for Slipknot and they pulled it off. Great guitar work from Jim & Mick, and a nice solo.

Psychosocial-9.0/10
-This song has a lot of potential because it has a hard verse for the
metalheads and a really soft chorus for the grunge people. However, I had a hard time interpreting the lyrics to this song, but I guess it leaves a nice gap for interpretation.

Dead Memories-10/10
-My favorite song off the album, by far. I really believe this song will
get tons of more people into Slipknot, and it's a radio-friendly song with all singing, but not too soft. It's truely awesome how the verse breaks down intro triplets the second time around.

Vendetta-9.0/10
-One Word. Drumming. Oh My God. Double-Bass in this song is crazy. Joey Jordison really shows what he's got in this song, I'll tell ya. The verse feels really catchy too with clean vox from Corey. Really good song.

Butcher's Hook-6.5/10
-Only song I don't particularly care for. The verse is cool and all, but the chorus sounds forced and repetitive along with most of lyrics throughout.

Gehenna-9.5/10
-Vintage Slipknot. I LOVE the whole "stalking" theme in this song. It's funny because Corey can write ballads and songs like these too, really though, this is by far my favorite creepy song by Slipknot. That high vocal note in the chorus always gets me.

This Cold Black-9.0/10
-My favorite head-banger off the cd. I've been playing guitar for 3 and 1/2 years, and I still had no idea what Jim was doing during the kickass solo, it sounds like dj scratches, I considered it was from Sid, but it was still the guitar, freakin' awesome.

Wherein Lies Continue-8.0/10
-A really good chorus, always leaves me feeling powerful afterwards for some reason. I like the "Thou Shalt Not" in the beginning too.

Snuff-10/10
-I just about cried the first time I heard this song, it leaves goosebumps and your heart aching. It has a sense of sadness mixed with the will to never give up.

All Hope Is Gone-8.0/10
-I thought the first main parts of the song sound really jumbled and out there, but I found the chorus catchy with all the combination screaming.

GET THIS ALBUM!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a disasterpiece, August 28, 2008
g double (toms river, nj) - See all my reviews
the only thing that "vol.3" lacked was its aggressiveness. "all hope is gone" brings that back to the table. songs like "gematria" and "vendetta" are by far the heaviest songs you're gonna hear from the band."snuff" is a great acoustic while "gehenna" is sludgy and moody. "psychosocial" is pure classic slipknot while "sulfur" is very stone sour esque. what makes this album better than "vol.3" is that the band is much more tighter. this time around when it came to making the record, they were much more focused than on "vol.3" (if you recall, during the making of vol.3 rick had to sit all the members down and get them to get along because none of them weren't speaking to one another) and got right to buisness. dave fortman did a great job with the production on this album. i didn't think that he'd do as good as rick..but he did. a disasterpiece they have made once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Growth Can Be Painful, September 12, 2008
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
This being Slipknot's 4th album of a career nearing 10 years, they are reaching that point where what they as a band call "progression" runs the risk of being called "selling out" by their fans who loved them from the word "go". 20 years ago, my friends and I slapped the "sell out" tag on more than a few bands (Metallica being the biggest offender of our youth). So, I have to wonder if this album will be Slipknot's transition album that leads them to that inevitable fork in the road where they progress beyond their core fans or run the risk of becoming stale. It seems to be a very thin tightrope to walk for every band, especially in the genre metal where fans can turn into foes overnight.

With all of that in mind, I can see the aspects of "All Hope Is Gone" that might make some of Slipknot's original fans angry or disinterested. Compared to the all-out-fury of "Iowa" or the combination of technical mastery and melodic foreplay of "Volume 3", "All Hope Is Gone" is often more straight-forward and subdued by comparison. It is fairly evident that Slipknot is focused more on writing songs first rather than taking a multitude of riffs and building a great song around them. In this case, for me, the approach works well.

What I can sympathize with those disenchanted by this album about is that the singles on this album are clear, present and obviously crafted for radio and mainstream exposure. Granted, I think "Psychosocial" is a very powerful song as far as singles are concerned, but some of the softer stuff on this album can get a little too soft at times. At this point, I like most of it, but I can see why others might not.

For those seeking the Slipknot of old, "All Hope Is Gone" is bookended by two mega-tracks that are as brutal and violent as anyone could ever want, especially the finale which is the perfect rallying cry for this time in our history. Much of this album is still very good, but I do wish they would have explored more of the technical aspects of the last album, as things get to be a tad formulaic at times.

Personally, I think "All Hope Is Gone" meets most of the expectations and anticipation that has heaped upon this album prior to its release. I think that in time, a good amount of people that are initially turned off by this album will find plenty to like about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome CD if you are a Slipknot fan!, March 28, 2010
It is just as good as all of their other ones. Great CD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Awesome, October 17, 2008
Eric Jousma "Abrom" (Bruce Crossing, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Apparently some people think Slipknot went way wrong with this, but I just don't see it. This definitely is Slipknot, perhaps at its best. They decided to go with more of a death metal rhythm, but they also used a softer voice more often than before. Overall, I think it works out to the same level of their other albums - Great.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is very different, but I like it a lot., August 27, 2008
jdesk0911 (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
I am not going to compare this album with everything else Slipknot has done. Everyone else is doing that anyway. What is the point, really, of comparing album to album? Do you want to hear the same thing over and over again? Personally I like to hear some variance and a wide range of structure on a record. If you are open to that, then you will like All Hope is Gone.

The album starts out really heavy, like you would expect from Slipknot. And it ends the same way. In the middle there is just about everything you could think of. Even the ballad "Snuff" is a refreshing change for the band. I did not expect to hear anything like this on a Slipknot record, but it is really, really good. I find myself listening to that song over and over.

Lyrically I think the album is great. The flow of the album is a little strange and takes some getting used to. Fast, slow, fast, medium, slow, etc. The recording is very clean and the production is different than past records. As someone mentioned above it is difficult to tell that there are 9 members on this recording. I can rarely distinguish any drums other than Joey's. Chris and Shawn were not really busy with their past amount of activity.

All in all this is a great album. I am still getting used to it and I am shocked and suprised by the variety of music on one disc. I can tell you this, it is not what you expect. And in some cases that can be a good thing. I think this is a refreshing album and I am enjoying listening to it. Quit trying to compare what the band did 15 years ago to now and just appreciate what you have right in front of you........the latest masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going for broke, August 27, 2008
Michael (FL United States) - See all my reviews
After the breakup rumors which surrounded the band while touring in support of Vol. 3, people assumed that Slipknot were finished. Wasn't that the assumption after Iowa? People tried to write them off, and they failed. Here they are 4 years later with a new album, All Hope Is Gone. Produced by Dave Fortman (Evanescence, Mudvayne), and mixed by Colin Richardson (Machine Head, Trivium, Chimaira), the album features a lot of melodies like on Vol. 3, but it also manages to retain the heaviness of Iowa. If you felt that Vol. 3 was more of a Stone Sour record than a Slipknot record, you shouldn't be turned off by this. Comparing Slipknot and Stone Sour is like comparing apples and oranges. They may feature two of the same members, but they play different music. Remember, this is Slipknot. It's hard to confuse the two bands.

The special edition is worthy if you feel like shelling out a few extra bucks. It's basically a cd/dvd set housed in a nice big digipak. Careful when you open it up, there is no compartment to keep the booklet in. It'll fall right out. From what I understand, the booklet contains expanded artwork. It's a thick booklet, trust me. Pictures aplenty. You get three bonus tracks: 1 song leftover from the All Hope Is Gone sessions, a remix for Vermilion pt. 2, and a previously unreleased track called Til We Die. The DVD is something to watch. Expect it to be a continuation of Voliminal as it was filmed by Shawn Crahan, and it's in that style, however, you actually get some nice footage of the band in the studio. Band members faces are visible instead of blurred out, but it's not like there's any mystery as to what they look like especially if you've seen the interviews on the Voliminal dvd.

No question about it, Slipknot is back. Bring on the chaos.

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Face(s) of Slipknot, July 23, 2010
Siklootd (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Hope Is Gone (Audio CD)
Slipknot is a band often criticized by many simply for being "Nu Metal". Does this somehow imply that they are a horrible band? No, not at all. In fact, Slipknot is a very polished Nu Metal band that constantly evolves with each sequential album release. Starting off as a more traditional, one dimensional Nu Metal band with their self titled album, Slipknot has made strides to gradually step in other directions in terms of musical style.

Up to this point, "Iowa" had been the band's "heaviest" release to date, and "Vol. 3" was regarded as their most alternative record to date. Well, "All Hope is Gone" finds a nice balance between the two styles. Utilizing heavier tracks (much like "Iowa") yet at the same time throwing in more melody (like "Vol. 3"), "All Hope is Gone" shows all of Slipknot's musical skills in terms of both styles that the band has experimented with in the past.

The album starts off fast and heavy, bringing out heavy hitting tracks like "Gematria (The Killing Name)", "Sulfur" and "Psychosocial". These tracks resemble classic Slipknot sound, while still throwing in more melody than past releases. Utilizing Corey's traditional "yells" for the majority of the play length of these tracks, the opening songs are very similar to older work done by the band. From here, the album begins to take a more "alternative" sound, and almost all of the yells associated with Slipknot tracks are absent in the majority of the tracks remaining.

Songs begin to slow down, showing that Slipknot is more than just the one dimensional band that they are stereotyped as. The album still throws in the occasional heavy hitting song, such as "Wherein Lies Continue", "This Cold Black" and "All Hope is Gone". The majority of the album, however, consists of easy to listen to, slow songs, with clean vocals and lots of melody. This is good move for the band to experiment with, and the results are beautiful.

Despite the fact that "All Hope is Gone" features multiple songs that utilize a slower pacing, and a more alternative sounding singing style, the album is still top notch and worth listening to. Tracks like "Dead Memories", "Snuff", and "Gehenna" are very well done songs, and are actually quite catchy. It's true that this album is not true to Slipknot's original sound that drew so many fans in to begin with, but credit should be given to the band for trying out new styles and taking time to evolve as a whole.

Perhaps I'm too open minded to music (loving everything from Alternative Rock, to Black Metal, Death Metal and Grind) that when a band tries out a new style I usually consider it an intriguing progression for the band. As long as you are tolerant of a large variety of musical styles and genres, then I'm sure you'll find something worth listening to, whether that includes the heavier tracks found on "All Hope is Gone" or the alternative songs, there's a little bit for everyone to enjoy to a degree.

All Hope Is Gone
All Hope Is Gone by Slipknot (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies